Scottish cup 2022/23

Cagey

5 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I certainly won't. I haven't been at an away game at Ibrox or Celtic Park in years. In fact I give most away games a miss these days because of what I consider to be unacceptable pricing. I used to go to nearly every game home and away but I've pretty much been priced out of away games now.

I've no idea why Rangers and Celtic fans seem unbothered by the prices they're asked to pay both home and away, but that's up to them. If they were to start boycotting expensive away tickets, it would have a huge impact.

I'm not sure if this is intended as tongue-in-cheek or not but there was no official boycott (I'm sure you know that). People simply decided for themselves that they didn't want to go. 

Personally I'd like to see a lot more fan action against high pricing (not just at Saints, but UK-wide) but sadly that seems unlikely. If there was a nationwide Twenty's Plenty Day where fans everywhere boycotted all football tickets over £20, it would give clubs a lot to think about.

No sarcasm intended just general bemusement .. I think there should have been an organised meeting re possible boycott..as you say pricing is not an unique problem  to Saints, in fact I wasn’t even sure if Saints had control of the pricing.. they are usually being lauded for their pricing for adult & child and free under 12’s… I hadn’t intended going … not because of the pricing but just the toxic atmosphere and even when the pricing came out I thought it was steep but thought it was to do with SFL/Rangers and it was a one off. The giving away of the stands was disappointing tho, but even then  if I had decided not to go I can’t then moan about my club making the most of the seats. I definitely would make my displeasure known if the pricing was to increase for the domestic matches .. think this one will just have to have a line drawn under it…

12 hours ago, Wendy Saints said:

No sarcasm intended just general bemusement .. I think there should have been an organised meeting re possible boycott..as you say pricing is not an unique problem  to Saints, in fact I wasn’t even sure if Saints had control of the pricing.. they are usually being lauded for their pricing for adult & child and free under 12’s… I hadn’t intended going … not because of the pricing but just the toxic atmosphere and even when the pricing came out I thought it was steep but thought it was to do with SFL/Rangers and it was a one off. The giving away of the stands was disappointing tho, but even then  if I had decided not to go I can’t then moan about my club making the most of the seats. I definitely would make my displeasure known if the pricing was to increase for the domestic matches .. think this one will just have to have a line drawn under it…

Confused about the meeting suggestion - a meeting organised and between who?

I don't really understand why people keep suggesting the pricing might have been Rangers' fault. Why does anyone think Rangers had more power in setting the pricing than Saints? Even Ian Flaherty's dubious email didn't attempt to shift any of the blame onto Rangers (and it blamed just about everything else). As far as I'm aware, if Saints and Rangers had been unable to agree on the ticket price, the price would have been set by the SFA based on standard entry prices. As it is, Saints are entirely complicit in the pricing decision.

The £30 might be a one-off for now but pretty soon it's going to be the norm. That's one of the reasons why it was important for people to say no to it.

40 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

As far as I'm aware, if Saints and Rangers had been unable to agree on the ticket price, the price would have been set by the SFA based on standard entry prices. As it is, Saints are entirely complicit in the pricing decision.

If clubs cant agree on pricing it defaults to the standard price for a league game at the stadium.

Genuinely not even sure what that is at Saints anymore as ive had a season ticket, £26?

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

If clubs cant agree on pricing it defaults to the standard price for a league game at the stadium.

Genuinely not even sure what that is at Saints anymore as ive had a season ticket, £26?

For the upcoming St Mirren game it's max £24 in the East Stand and max £25 in the Main Stand.

For both of this season's home league games against Rangers and Celtic, it's been max £20 for home fans. It's also £20 for the Celtic game in a couple of weeks.

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Confused about the meeting suggestion - a meeting organised and between who?

I don't really understand why people keep suggesting the pricing might have been Rangers' fault. Why does anyone think Rangers had more power in setting the pricing than Saints? Even Ian Flaherty's dubious email didn't attempt to shift any of the blame onto Rangers (and it blamed just about everything else). As far as I'm aware, if Saints and Rangers had been unable to agree on the ticket price, the price would have been set by the SFA based on standard entry prices. As it is, Saints are entirely complicit in the pricing decision.

The £30 might be a one-off for now but pretty soon it's going to be the norm. That's one of the reasons why it was important for people to say no to it.

It seemed to me and only an observation that there had been a few emails of dissent a few mealy mouthed replies and too my knowledge no face to face meeting between the two sides.. plenty room for misinterpretation, and supposition..I was not sure and still am not sure who has the power to set the price of a ticket for a cup game.. 

if people really are serious about ticket prices then a more joined up approach would be the order of the day .. that is only my opinion .. not saying it’s right.. fan power and all that .. was speaking to a saints fan today he boycotted because of having to move seats not the price? Think we can all agree tho that Saints didn’t manage the situation  well at all.. I’m just glad that for the minute it’s all past… 

55 minutes ago, Wendy Saints said:

It seemed to me and only an observation that there had been a few emails of dissent a few mealy mouthed replies and too my knowledge no face to face meeting between the two sides.. plenty room for misinterpretation, and supposition..I was not sure and still am not sure who has the power to set the price of a ticket for a cup game.. 

if people really are serious about ticket prices then a more joined up approach would be the order of the day .. that is only my opinion .. not saying it’s right.. fan power and all that .. was speaking to a saints fan today he boycotted because of having to move seats not the price? Think we can all agree tho that Saints didn’t manage the situation  well at all.. I’m just glad that for the minute it’s all past… 

But there weren't two sides. There were probably about 3000 sides, 'the club' v individuals who had a variety of reasons for individually choosing not to go. There was no fans group organising a boycott. 'The club' knew exactly what 'they' were doing and were never going to back down no matter what. It's not what 'the club' does. 'They' took the fans for granted once too often and were taught an expensive lesson.

I reckon the Kelty result must be the worst one in our history, in terms of league positions between the two teams. Had we ever been beaten by a team three (or more) divisions below us before that?

Stenhousemuir were actually only one division below us when they beat us 4-0 in 1994/95. They went on to beat Aberdeen 2-0 in the next round, too.

The Scottish Cup holders, the previous season's historic cup double winners and recent League Cup semi-finalists getting humiliated by a bottom league team, a result Galatasaray or LASK couldn't manage a few months earlier, and not registering as one the biggest cup shocks really does sum up the Scottish football mindset. It has a 'natural order' and it will never be allowed to change. 

Edited by Sergei

On 1/25/2023 at 8:28 AM, blueheaven said:

I reckon the Kelty result must be the worst one in our history, in terms of league positions between the two teams. Had we ever been beaten by a team three (or more) divisions below us before that?

Stenhousemuir were actually only one division below us when they beat us 4-0 in 1994/95. They went on to beat Aberdeen 2-0 in the next round, too.

Them beating Aberdeen was a far bigger shock and thankfully seems to have erased that 4-0 game from popular memory :laugh:

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Is Max eligible to play for Falkirk tomorrow night. I don't think he was even in the squad against Rangers but think he might have had to be signed before Falkirks first cup game.

As long as he’s registered before the original date of this tie - which he is - I think he should be available. Queens Park’s issue against Inverness was the game being postponed, then signing a player after that and including him in the squad for the rescheduled game. I tried to look it up to make absolutely sure, but as usual when trying to read the rules, ended up down a complete black hole and gave up! 

13 hours ago, Cagey said:

Is Max eligible to play for Falkirk tomorrow night. I don't think he was even in the squad against Rangers but think he might have had to be signed before Falkirks first cup game.

I'm sure he can play.

The signed by cup game thing only applies to postponed ties. That's what caught QP out? They signed a player after the postponed game & played him when it was rescheduled.

6 hours ago, MySpazz said:

Great seeing Caley make the Semi finals. Killie are the least enticing teams in the whole of the Scottish Leagues....ok, Clyde are not far off either!

Yeah but Callum will make them look like world beaters like he did in home game.