St.Johnstone V Livingston - Saturday 14th January

SaintJet

2 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

You can’t???? Our defence is Liam Gordon, Alex Mitchell and Andy Considine!

How the f*** he gets away with playing, largely unchallenged, Liam Gordon and Alex Mitchell in the same back 5 is criminal. ALEX MITCHELL IS NEVER EVER THE RIGHT CENTRE BACK OF A THREE! Dire dire times!

Our midfield lynchpins are Ryan McGowan and Graham Carey!

I can every bit believe it.

Too many square pegs in round holes.

McGowan and Carey both shit in midfield. MC Gowan injured in the first half with Gordon crashing into him and should have been subbed at half time . Phillips made a difference when he came on but wouldn't have been on if McGowan hadn't wanted to get back in out of the cold.

2 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Started the game in identical fashion to Hearts , United and Aberdeen with the same result in making the opposition look good and gifting them goals.

Not sure about the goalie , looked slow to get down to shots in all games.

Crazy that we took Zander, Rooney, Kerr, McCart and Booth for granted now :(

Went 4 at the back when Phillips came on and almost got it back to 3-3. Played some nice football after that and players looked like they were enjoying themselves.

How long is he going to persist with back 5 that gifts possession to the opposition and allow then to attack at will.

We have that many guys in the box that they leave it to eachother or get in each others way.

Saints made Livi look good today and they really weren't. Poor control, sloppy passing and the inability to get close and stop them shooting let them score 1st, 2nd and 4th against the run of play. With 20 minutes to go, draw or win was entirely possible and then game was thrown away again. We all wanted it to end but how there was only 2 mins extra in first half and 4 in 2nd is beyond me.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Saints made Livi look good today and they really weren't. Poor control, sloppy passing and the inability to get close and stop them shooting let them score 1st, 2nd and 4th against the run of play. With 20 minutes to go, draw or win was entirely possible and then game was thrown away again. We all wanted it to end but how there was only 2 mins extra in first half and 4 in 2nd is beyond me.

2 mins in first seemed ok but the second half 4 mins was what you would expect with subs and time wasting but with VAR being checked for every goal and penalty claim 4 minutes was far too little. Probably ref wanted out of the rain.

5 minutes ago, Cagey said:

2 mins in first seemed ok but the second half 4 mins was what you would expect with subs and time wasting but with VAR being checked for every goal and penalty claim 4 minutes was far too little. Probably ref wanted out of the rain.

I thought 2 mins in the first half wasn’t long enough. The VAR check for the first goal was about 2 minutes, then the following two goals were a decent amount of time too. Throw Penrice having to tie his boots into the mix too. Wasn’t really that fussed though, just happy that half was done

1 minute ago, Cagey said:

Livi had 5 shots on target. One I could have scored and 4 goals. Not convinced by Mathews but Parish not much better but he did ok against Rangers so give him another chance next Saturday.

Takes cover :ph34r:.

Matthews, Mitchell, McGowan and Carey overrated during our 6 game purple patch?

2 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Matthews, Mitchell, McGowan and Carey overrated during our 6 game purple patch?

Matthews is a funny one. He seems to be conceding an awful lot of goals but when you look through them, I’m not sure how he could have got any of them. Assuming his line of sight was blocked on the first. 

I’ve been saying the same thing about him for several weeks now. 

Im still convinced Tommy Wright has this squad in the top half.

Davidson could too if he tried to play to their strengths. 

"Philosophy" managers never work out at our level, theyre too rigid to deal with the inevitable squad turnover/inconsistent form teams like us will have and inevitably end up trying to wedge players into how they want to play even if its promoting these players weaknesses rather than strengths. Players lose confidence in themselves and the manager, and it spirals.

Thats where Davidson is now. Carey a prime example. Play him as a sort of free roaming winger who can cut in, like a Swanson, or as a "10" in front of two CMs with little defensive responsibility. Dont play him as a CM you expect to track runners. Davidson has done that, Careys confidence in himself is clearly gone, and with the fan reaction towards him yesterday hes likely blaming the manager for asking him to do what hes not comfortable doing.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

Im still convinced Tommy Wright has this squad in the top half.

Davidson could too if he tried to play to their strengths. 

"Philosophy" managers never work out at our level, theyre too rigid to deal with the inevitable squad turnover/inconsistent form teams like us will have and inevitably end up trying to wedge players into how they want to play even if its promoting these players weaknesses rather than strengths. Players lose confidence in themselves and the manager, and it spirals.

Thats where Davidson is now. Carey a prime example. Play him as a sort of free roaming winger who can cut in, like a Swanson, or as a "10" in front of two CMs with little defensive responsibility. Dont play him as a CM you expect to track runners. Davidson has done that, Careys confidence in himself is clearly gone, and with the fan reaction towards him yesterday hes likely blaming the manager for asking him to do what hes not comfortable doing.

Yeah, good post!

I always wait until Monday to post my thoughts it takes some of the emotion out of it.

That was an awful first half display! The defense looked like they had been playing together for the first time. Mind you a lot of the problem stemmed from the midfield posted missing. Livi moved methodically through us like butter through a knife. Why were we not closing them down? Anytime we went forward we were so laborious getting back and this is the problem of  playing Spoony and Carey in there.

To be fair to Livi they had the best player on the park - the lad Penrice was oustanding and he'll be going on to greater things soon.

I actually thought Liam Gordon had one of his better games and was commanding in the air but Mitchell was awful - I was actually wondering if he was carrying an injury. McGowan is great in the middle of the park but he's not a center back. It's sad to see May and Clark run themselves in to the ground and not have any support.

I thought McPherson and Philips made a huge difference by simply showing some energy - I've been one of McPherson's biggest critics but there is a good player there so hopefully he develops.

We were never coming back from three down but at least we made a fist of things and gave those of us who stayed something to cling on to.

Worrying times.

The pitch is an absolute disgrace! I actually think we play better away from home than on that freaking Bog! How can you play a passing game on that green sludge. We need to get this sorted once and for all.

Rangers were moaning about Hampden - Ha! Wait untill they roll up in Perth