St.Johnstone V St.Mirren - Saturday 25th February

SaintJet

No point appealing the red, I don't think that would get overturned. In real time I thought it was a soft yellow but in fairness we were far away. Watched it back and I can completely accept it was a yellow so the referee got the decision right. Should have been left at that. Why VAR had to get involved is beyond me and issuing a red was wrong. If you play it back slower than real speed it looks worse but football isn't played at that speed. Yeah it looks sore but there was no intent.

Edited by Rob

17 minutes ago, Shibbydoo said:

The BBC match report - holy shit!

Yeah dont think they watched the same game when they rate the players. Or are you commenting on the fact that someone Googled stalemate and forgot to take it out. May lowest score out of all our players. Thats some sort of joke. He made their keeper pull off a great save from that header and thought he played well without having many opportunities.

Edited by Rob

13 minutes ago, Rob said:

Yeah dont think they watched the same game when they rate the players. Or are you commenting on the fact that someone Googled stalemate and forgot to take it out. May lowest score out of all our players. Thats some sort of joke. He made their keeper pull off a great save from that header and thought he played well without having many opportunities.

Was more the (non) facts that Phillips is on loan from Watford and that both teams are punching above their weight this season.

Utter amateur pish.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

No point appealing the red, I don't think that would get overturned. In real time I thought it was a soft yellow but in fairness we were far away. Watched it back and I can completely accept it was a yellow so the referee got the decision right. Should have been left at that. Why VAR had to get involved is beyond me and issuing a red was wrong. If you play it back slower than real speed it looks worse but football isn't played at that speed. Yeah it looks sore but there was no intent.

Exactly 

20 minutes ago, sixties saintee said:

Surprised Mc Cann on Sportscene said Saints should appeal and it would be over turned.

Even though the panel is not just ex referees Im not sure they can keep overturning reds where VAR played a part as it will really make it look an absolute farce.

11 hours ago, Rob said:

After winning our last appeal, I reckon they wouldn’t allow us to win two in a row and would be spiteful enough to do that just to put clubs in their place going up against their appointed match officials.

I have only seen the footage on twitter but it didn’t look like a malicious incident or any intent other then a regular 50/50 footy challenge 

14 hours ago, ex-montrosesaintee said:

One of those that was never a red, arguably not a yellow, but there is one freeze frame that without context makes it look like an intentional leg breaker - and we know how the authorities love a freeze frame analysis.  Pathetic decision.

They should be sacked for total incompetence - Its not just a one off either - Ibrox 3 cock ups all against us - Gese a job!!

3 hours ago, pezza70 said:

After winning our last appeal, I reckon they wouldn’t allow us to win two in a row and would be spiteful enough to do that just to put clubs in their place going up against their appointed match officials.

I have only seen the footage on twitter but it didn’t look like a malicious incident or any intent other then a regular 50/50 footy challenge 

There was no malice or intent in the tackle but the slo Mo a usual makes it look worse than it was but the guy was injured and I think that had a bearing on VAR decision. Ref didn't take long to look at it so must have gone on the still to confirm VARs thoughts.

Even though non of the games pundits as far as I know don't think it's a red I doubt if Saints will appeal.

Was surprised they appealed the Clark one but new regime don't seem to worry that it may be a waste of a grand.

You can pretty much freeze frame or slow motion lots of tackles or player movement and it could look really bad. Seems to be the problem with VAR, doesnt really show the context of what was happening in real time. When VAR was introduced I didn't realise it would be picking over everything like this.

Can’t argue with the red card imo. There’s no malice in it but it’s dangerous - still think Flynn is fortunate to walk away from that without a serious injury. As for midfield next week @Cagey, Hallberg and MacPherson with Wotherspoon just ahead of them? Not a lot of battling between them but it might be the best option we’ve got

34 minutes ago, Rob said:

You can pretty much freeze frame or slow motion lots of tackles or player movement and it could look really bad. Seems to be the problem with VAR, doesnt really show the context of what was happening in real time. When VAR was introduced I didn't realise it would be picking over everything like this.

Spot on.

44 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Can’t argue with the red card imo. There’s no malice in it but it’s dangerous - still think Flynn is fortunate to walk away from that without a serious injury. As for midfield next week @Cagey, Hallberg and MacPherson with Wotherspoon just ahead of them? Not a lot of battling between them but it might be the best option we’ve got

Just opinions isn't it. Yellow would have been fair IMO and no one would have said that was a clear and obvious wrong decision.

Edited by Rob

I suspect that equaliser might have killed off our hopes of top six. Still possible of course, but our position would have looked miles better right now if we'd just hung on for those three points.

I think Davidson deserves credit for uncharacteristically sticking with two up front when we went down to 10 men. It meant St Mirren had to keep bodies back and stopped us from being forced back too much. It very nearly paid off too.

However I hate to be so scathing of a Saints player but bringing on Bair when we've already had someone sent off meant that it was more like having nine players on the pitch than 10. It took him almost 10 minutes to even get a proper touch of the ball and he was just miles away from the action for nearly the whole time he was on the pitch. Rudden might not be a world-beater either but you could really see the difference between the two in the way Rudden forced things to happen for himself, won the free-kick that lead to our goal and of course also scored it.

I can't help but think Spoony would have contributed far more if brought off the bench instead and we might have seen a different outcome. McLennan might also have been a good option but wasn't in the squad - has he picked up an injury?

At the end of the day that was good point and a decent second half performance. I though the first half both teams were dreadful but St.Mirren started to look dangerous towards the end of the first 45. I worry a wee bit about our attacking intentions. We play braw football knock it about nice but penetration is haphazard. Maybe the pitch has a lot to do with the home performances? If I was the SFA I'd fine Saints for the disgrace that pitch is in!

The double substitution turned out to be inspired. The two big lads got stuck in and gave St.Mirren plenty to think about and they have a huge height advantage when it comes to squaring up against opposing players. It was a shame Rudden spoiled his start by losing his marker for the Hibs goal. When we have our backs to the wall you see the value of a player like Consodine who marshelled the backline well. Liam is still a long way off his usual reliable self.

I knew right away Philips was going. It wasn't a bad tackle, it wasn't even a tackle. The opposition player hurt himself sliding in but sadly the game has changed now with VAR and more importantly the incompetance of these using it.

I'd be surprised if the Red got recinded. You can't have two decisions being changed by these who know it all.

35 minutes ago, pezza70 said:

So is McGowan fit yet, as I thought he offered us a bit when he was in the team before his injury, surely Spoony is straight back in as the replacement for Phillips even though it’s not a like for like, but he may offer us a bit more playing off May and Clark

McGowan wasn't even on the bench on Saturday so I don't see him being available.

More likely he'll go with Scarey Carey.

7 hours ago, pezza70 said:

So is McGowan fit yet, as I thought he offered us a bit when he was in the team before his injury, surely Spoony is straight back in as the replacement for Phillips even though it’s not a like for like, but he may offer us a bit more playing off May and Clark

Not a huge surprise to me that our form has picked up as Carey and McGowan have seen less time on the pitch.