Macca for next manager

tucker

Think Macca deserves so much credit for getting a team on such a winless run safe with two games left

Think he deserves his chance always shows Passion in every interview etc he does

Just listener to him on the radio there saying with two games left there out to win and no one who isn't up.for it will.get hooked

I wouldn't mind giving him the gig for next seasonĀ 

5 minutes ago, GOB10 said:

ffs why are our fans so flip flop! macca has done nothing to warrent getting this as his first job. he and davidson were both the problem. Ffs behave!Ā 

He's taken 7 points from 4 games, changed the formation and motivated a group of shite players to keep us up.

That's a helluva lot more than his old boss did in the last 18 months.

And he's not an energy sapping, mumbling, egomaniac.

FFS behave!

Edited by Shibbydoo

I can see why we might give him the gig.....whether we should, I am not so sure.

Over the past wee while we have given plenty of managers their first go at being no1 and it has worked well. While CD's reign might have ended poorly, he did give us a double.

Given the Brown's have been open to a young manager it wouldn't surprise me. If the new owners are in, I don't see it happening.

Not for me, done a great job to keep us up and far more positive than Davidson, but think we need someone else to move forward, hopefully a role for him and Craig, but time for the club to have a good clear out too much dead wood from top to bottom thatā€™s needs changed, and that includes a competent groundsman/woman

It's a really difficult decision to make. I love his confidence and have been impressed by some of the changes he has made.

The issue is that I believe that there is a huge rebuilding job required this summer and there is no way of knowing if Macca has the connections or ability to do that.

Whoever gets the job, I hope shows the board a clear picture of the plans they have in place and the sort of players they believe they can bring in to the club to bring success.Ā 

He has managed 4 games. A home game vs Hibs where he decided not to push for a win when they were down to 10 men. I missed the Dundee United game but believe his tactical changes left us hanging on (again against 10 men). We got beat last week at home with a terrible performance in an important match. MacLean just constantly throwing on more and more strikers in Bair/Rudden/Kane when the problems lay further back in our inability to create chances. Weā€™ve won again by a solitary goal today against a team who were down to 10 men for a long period. MacLean is one of my Saints heroā€™s but Iā€™m not convinced heā€™s the answer long term. I appreciate he has Davidsonā€™s squad to work with and heā€™s moved to a back 4 which was what a lot of the fans wanted. This summer is huge for Saints, if we get it wrong I think we could go down next season.Ā 

A big decision for Geoff. I think I will wait til next Sunday to decide. The fact he kept us up is a plus but you still think , he was part of the management team that got us in the position we are in and subjected us to unbelievable negative football over the past 2 seasons.

I am willing to believe he never had a great involvement in the tactics as you very rarely saw a great deal of discussion at the dugout. In EPL you see coaches in constant discussion.

I assume he is contracted to Saints as a coach for at least another season so no panic in looking for a new manager just yet.

Big plus for me is he'll not be afraid to drop players and play youngsters, but would any managers have got the same results basically "going back to much needed basics" after Davidson left ? I'm really 50/50 on Macca purely due to what managerial experience he got was directly under CD and the only thing I can take from that is he'll have seen exactly what WASN'T working for many months. It's a major rebuild before next season, I just don't know if its worth the riskĀ 

So I'm going to flip-flop a lot in this post because I can see both sides. I love Macca and think his positive attitude and motivational skills have gone a long way towards giving us the turn-around that has kept us up. However I also think that punting Davidson in itself probably helped a lot in giving the players the boost required to lift their heads a bit and get us those better results.

For me, he's shown a willingness to change things around, give younger players a chance and allow the team a bit more freedom to play. But I also think a lot of his in-game decisions have felt naive and at times we've rode our luck in the last few games. We've played against 10 men in 3 games out of the 4 but have often looked uncomfortable and in the Motherwell game in particular we were awful. But then again he's recognised that ahead of the Killie game, made positive changes and turned things around to get us an absolutely crucial win.

My big worry would be he doesn't have the tactical nous to get us really playing to a high standard over a sustained period of time. And does he have the contacts and eye-for-a-player needed to go into the transfer market with a limited budget and successfully take on the re-build job we need? We'd have to be willing to take a huge chance on that. On the flip-side, he already knows the squad better than anyone so he has an advantage over anyone coming in cold.

In a lot of ways, I guess a one-year contract for Macca would suit everyone because the club avoids a long-term commitment while it's up for sale, sacking him would be relatively easy if it goes wrong, and we get someone in charge immediately who already knows the squad situation and can start planning today.

So I'm slightly on the fence and I'd be totally happy to back him if he got the job, but my feeling is he's not quite ready for this. On balance I think I'd be more confident in the future if the plan was to bring Tommy back as manager but keep Macca on as his assistant.

It's a difficult one for the board and Macca. Given the club is up for sale, I'd imagine that the imaginary new owners would want to take a very objective view and go through their own process. It may be that Macca stays on as interim manager until the imaginary new owners appear. Macca would naturally want a bit more job security.Ā 

I'm more concerned about some of the crap we have in the squad on decent contracts...

Tommy Wright I d love to see back, preferably to support Macca in some way rather than replace him.

It seems strange to me, clearly Tommy has an affection for Perth, he was back talking at a dinner for Murray and I see he was here presenting awards for Kinnoull, possibly talking there as well.

I never hear of him being back at Saints though, even though last night he was within a mile of the ground. Maybe he is and I just donā€™t know,

Equally, these might just be paid gigs as an after dinner speaker and he ll go anywhere if the money is there, Perth would obviously be one of the places heā€™d be popular.

On 5/20/2023 at 9:21 PM, Shibbydoo said:

He's taken 7 points from 4 games, changed the formation and motivated a group of shite players to keep us up.

That's a helluva lot more than his old boss did in the last 18 months.

And he's not an energy sapping, mumbling, egomaniac.

FFS behave!

7 points out of a possible 12 is not a bad result...

6 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

Be interested to see how many points Davidson took from the same opposition this season.

Going by the most recent results at the same venues:

Last home game against Hibs was a 1-0 defeat
Last home game against Dundee United was a 1-0 defeat
Last home game against Motherwell was 1-1
Last away game at Kilmarnock was 1-1

So 2 points from a possible 12.

In terms of the bigger picture, he has to be offered the job if he seriously wants it. You can't put a guy in charge with a target of having 6 games to keep us up, see him achieve it with 2 games to go, and then not give him the job. It's a question of whether you want a manager who feels they've got time to achieve what they want to, or whether they're pushing for short-term results to keep their jobs.

If McLean wants it and doesn't get it, we're going to end up a manager who takes the pragmatic view of trying to prolong their time in the job, rather than installing a long-term blueprint for how they want us to play.

The thought of turning him down and bringing in a manager who will cycle the squad over the next 12 months and complete their job of evolving the team to their style in a year's time is fanciable. Replacing McLean in October if we don't start well won't prevent that from happening if he's given a chance.

The ownership situation, which I wouldn't assume will be resolved this summer (based on absolutely nothing) is another factor. Everyone knows new owners want a new manager so the club is run to their vision, not the previous vision. McLean has shown he's the right man to stay in place until a new owner, with a new agenda, gets here. Again, is a new manager realistically going to build a long-term vision if they feel a takeover might happen and cost them their job?

56 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Going by the most recent results at the same venues:

Last home game against Hibs was a 1-0 defeat
Last home game against Dundee United was a 1-0 defeat
Last home game against Motherwell was 1-1
Last away game at Kilmarnock was 1-1

So 2 points from a possible 12.

Ouch!

Liked this quote from Macca:Ā ā€œI donā€™t want to sit in when we are winning by 1 goal, I want to go for the throat and win by 2 or 3. I would be worried if we were not creating chances, I wont fault anyone for getting into the right areas, we just have to make sure and finish them off."

https://www.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/news/article/steven-macleans-thoughts-on-the-final-two-games

1 hour ago, That_Dave said:

In terms of the bigger picture, he has to be offered the job if he seriously wants it. You can't put a guy in charge with a target of having 6 games to keep us up, see him achieve it with 2 games to go, and then not give him the job. It's a question of whether you want a manager who feels they've got time to achieve what they want to, or whether they're pushing for short-term results to keep their jobs.

If McLean wants it and doesn't get it, we're going to end up a manager who takes the pragmatic view of trying to prolong their time in the job, rather than installing a long-term blueprint for how they want us to play.

The thought of turning him down and bringing in a manager who will cycle the squad over the next 12 months and complete their job of evolving the team to their style in a year's time is fanciable. Replacing McLean in October if we don't start well won't prevent that from happening if he's given a chance.

The ownership situation, which I wouldn't assume will be resolved this summer (based on absolutely nothing) is another factor. Everyone knows new owners want a new manager so the club is run to their vision, not the previous vision. McLean has shown he's the right man to stay in place until a new owner, with a new agenda, gets here. Again, is a new manager realistically going to build a long-term vision if they feel a takeover might happen and cost them their job?

I suppose his contract should include details of this kind... Don't you think so?

1 hour ago, garydavidson said:

Ouch!

Liked this quote from Macca:Ā ā€œI donā€™t want to sit in when we are winning by 1 goal, I want to go for the throat and win by 2 or 3. I would be worried if we were not creating chances, I wont fault anyone for getting into the right areas, we just have to make sure and finish them off."

https://www.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/news/article/steven-macleans-thoughts-on-the-final-two-games

Wow , the polar opposites of Davidson. How did they manage to work together.