Stenhousemuir v St Johnstone, League Cup group stage, 15/07/2023

blueheaven

1 hour ago, PSJ.84 said:

****ing hell standards are really low if we’re happy with signing Euan O’Reilly. Whilst it’s concerning, I don’t buy some of the knicker-wetting going on here. Performance-wise yesterday arguably worse than Kelty, particularly once the goal went in. Still 6 weeks to go in the window, with at least one signing imminent, plus we’ve 5 players out injured who’d all be there or there about when it comes to the first eleven. 

This season might well be a total disaster, but I’d much rather we went down trying to bleed youngsters into the first team, compared with the shite we’ve had to endure the last two seasons. 

Same here.Never understood Davidson holding young players back If you'e good enough you're good enough! At least its exciting seeing young players progress in the team.

38 minutes ago, Cagey said:

I think the best we can hope for is one of the 3 runners up spots but we have to find someone to put the ball in the net.

I think we saw last season that May up front on his own doesn't work but Macca has gone back to it. It will be a back 5 next.

What else could he do? He had 1 fit striker. 

Tbh after hearing his post match interview, all is forgiven (almost). It's so refreshing to hear a manager just to take responsibility and say it's not good enough and he's going to work to make it good enough. Honestly, if we go down, I'd rather have a manager like that than the awful stuff we had before.

26 minutes ago, Linky said:

Tbh after hearing his post match interview, all is forgiven (almost). It's so refreshing to hear a manager just to take responsibility and say it's not good enough and he's going to work to make it good enough. Honestly, if we go down, I'd rather have a manager like that than the awful stuff we had before.

Id rather have a good manager. 

MacLeans interviews are great but they'll become increasingly meaningless if he doesnt have them backed up with performances/results.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

Id rather have a good manager. 

MacLeans interviews are great but they'll become increasingly meaningless if he doesnt have them backed up with performances/results.

Think we have to give Macca the next 6-8 weeks to show us what he can do before even a whiff of criticism is levelled at his team…

For context, when Callum Davidson took over from Tommy Wright, this is the side he was able to field(look at the bench):

IMG_1905.jpeg

This is the side that Callum Davidson left Steven MacLean to field:

IMG_1906.jpeg

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

Think Macca made a bit of a rod for his own back with his pre-match comments about how you wouldn't see us playing badly in the League Cup. But I do feel for him a bit with the task he has on his hands this summer. I've never seen us look more poorly equipped to start a season, even in the lower leagues. We've gone from a bloated squad of ageing, disinterested-looking pros to a tiny squad padded out with literal children, and seemingly very little available budget to remedy the situation. Even an experienced manager would find that challenging.

I just hope Saturday came as a big wake-up call to everyone at the club. We need quality, and quickly. Making that happen will cost money, but getting relegated will cost us much more. And if we go into league business with the current squad of kids and zero competition for places, we're not going to stand a chance.

54 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Has anyone heard anything about why Booth wasn't in the squad on Saturday? Please don't let him be injured yet again. 😶

I wondered that as well.

Back to the game. I find it hard to believe that that side wasn't good enough in 45 minutes to score a goal against a fourth tier club. That IS a worry.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

I wondered that as well.

Back to the game. I find it hard to believe that that side wasn't good enough in 45 minutes to score a goal against a fourth tier club. That IS a worry.

Very true, I live in East Lothian and have friends who follow Lowland League Tranent Juniors who beat Stenny 2 - 1 in a friendly a week or so ago.  I only go out wearing dark glasses just now even if it is pouring rain.

900 fans at an away game in league cup. I would imagine most thought they would see goals and we're excited for the season ahead. How come the team couldn't be arsed with that support behind them.

Monday more or less done and no new faces.