WHO IS NEXT IN THE HOT SEAT..

GOB10

2 hours ago, SaintJet said:

If it's him he knows the game back to front and is still well respected. He'll command respect from a relatively young squad of players and won't take any cr*p.

All of my Utd colleagues have told me they would take him back in a heartbeat.

I'm hoping it's him.

United fans want Ciftci back.

He last managed them 15 years ago, at what stage does his spell there become irrelevant?

I'm a bit worried by the possible appointment of levein.. he would no doubt tighten up our defence but when u are rock bottom of the league its more so what u can do at the other end of the park to fire your way out of trouble.. and unless he is bringing in ronaldo with him as the striking coach i dont see it working. He no doubt had a place in the game years ago but it's moved on a hell of alot, it just strikes me as a boring appointment 

2 hours ago, Cagey said:

His knowhow hasn't managed to get Brechin out of Highland league for 3 or 4 seasons. Know he isn't the manager but seems to have some influence.

Brechin have only been in Highland League 2 seasons, first year finished 3rd, last year they won the league but lost to Spartans in playoff.

Levein wouldn’t be my first choice or even 5th 6 th choice but with club up for sale, if he kept us up he d do for me.

Brechin have lost one highland league game in 2 seasons.  The structure makes it an almost impossible league system to get out of.  They lost on sudden death pens to Spartans last year, after a sadly uncharacteristic nervy performance in the first leg of the playoff.  Spartans are now 3rd in div 2.  I'm far from convinced that Levein or Kirk or both are a solution for Saints, but the job they've done at Brechin has been pretty spectacular.  The whole town (city) is right behind the team again, the feel good atmosphere around the place is really special.

47 minutes ago, ex-montrosesaintee said:

Brechin have lost one highland league game in 2 seasons.  The structure makes it an almost impossible league system to get out of.  They lost on sudden death pens to Spartans last year, after a sadly uncharacteristic nervy performance in the first leg of the playoff.  Spartans are now 3rd in div 2.  I'm far from convinced that Levein or Kirk or both are a solution for Saints, but the job they've done at Brechin has been pretty spectacular.  The whole town (city) is right behind the team again, the feel good atmosphere around the place is really special.

They're spending a fortune aren't they?

Sure the guy who owns Mackie Motors bought them after they got relegated to the Highland League and is pumping money in.

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Sure the guy who owns Mackie Motors bought them after they got relegated to the Highland League and is pumping money in.

Kevin Mackie is the guy you mention Random and he sold Mackie Motors to the Park Group (Douglas Park ex Rangers Chairman's company).

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

You are the guy with the secret financial intel on every club in the northern hemisphere, I'm not looking for an argument.  Just correcting an accusation that Brechin, Kirk and Levein are not doing a good job.

6 hours ago, pezza70 said:

So is part of a potential deal to sign Levein also a bit of a PR campaign to any potential buyers of our club with the our club is managed by a former Scotland national team manager?

Unless it’s the situation posted above, I doubt it. I think you’re overestimating Levein’s standing in the game these days. 

10 hours ago, Templar Saint said:

Kevin Mackie is the guy you mention Random and he sold Mackie Motors to the Park Group (Douglas Park ex Rangers Chairman's company).

Doesnt seem any price quoted for the sale, but stuff about turnover says between £25m-£30m.

10 hours ago, ex-montrosesaintee said:

You are the guy with the secret financial intel on every club in the northern hemisphere, I'm not looking for an argument.  Just correcting an accusation that Brechin, Kirk and Levein are not doing a good job.

Are they though? As far as i know, which is limited, Brechin have a budget that would be competitive in League One.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Doesnt seem any price quoted for the sale, but stuff about turnover says between £25m-£30m.

Are they though? As far as i know, which is limited, Brechin have a budget that would be competitive in League One.

Would argue actually many teams in Highland/Lowland Leagues have budgets and playing squads that would be competitive in League 1, but due to the nature of the promotion/relegation out of those leagues, it’s damn near impossible to promoted regularly. Recent cup results have shown the quality of sides in those leagues.

1 hour ago, PerthSaint01 said:

Would argue actually many teams in Highland/Lowland Leagues have budgets and playing squads that would be competitive in League 1, but due to the nature of the promotion/relegation out of those leagues, it’s damn near impossible to promoted regularly. 

5 of the 8 play offs so far have gone the way of the Lowland/Highland Leagues sides, with them winning the last 3 in a row.

So what exactly makes it impossible?

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

5 of the 8 play offs so far have gone the way of the Lowland/Highland Leagues sides, with them winning the last 3 in a row.

So what exactly makes it impossible?

Maybe didn’t phrase it great, but it’s not automatic promotion like most other leagues, and in fact it then becomes a three way play off.

By all accounts, Brechin have been going very well, have signed good young talent and were beaten by a Spartans side in the play off semi last season who now sit near the top of league 2.

Most of it is irrelevant to the overall picture here though. I think Levein gives a steady pair of hands and would be more confident we stay up with him than 90% of the other candidates mentioned.

It’s not impossible but getting up the pyramid in Scottish football is hard no matter how much money you spend.

Even getting into the Lowland Leagues is hard, never mind promoted from it.

Take Jeanfield Swifts as an example, I think a team that could easily hold their own in the Lowland league, to get there though, winning the East of Scotland Premier League isn’t enough, they then have to play off against the league winners of the West of Scotland League and South of Scotland League. There is only one team relegated from the Lowland league.

Say they do that, then winning the Lowland league isn’t enough, they than have to play off against the winners of the Highland league and win that before the team that finishes bottom of 3rd Div still gets a chance to save themselves.

There needs to be more promotion / relegation to allow the best teams to rise.

1 hour ago, PerthSaint01 said:

I think Levein gives a steady pair of hands.

Aye, but im trying to figure out why people think that.

It seems based entirely on him being older, managing in this league before, and having one good spell as Dundee United manager 15 years ago.

His last management job was poor, and his longevity there was helped by his closeness to the owner who trusted him completely, and Hearts fans view him as a bit of a joke figure now.

I can't be arsed with us sleepwalking into another poor appointment when theres many signs there that we aren't getting whats being advertised.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Aye, but im trying to figure out why people think that.

It seems based entirely on him being older, managing in this league before, and having one good spell as Dundee United manager 15 years ago.

His last management job was poor, and his longevity there was helped by his closeness to the owner who trusted him completely, and Hearts fans view him as a bit of a joke figure now.

I can't be arsed with us sleepwalking into another poor appointment when theres many signs there that we aren't getting whats being advertised.

Definitely a fair point. Tough one, but he ticks the more experienced box.

Would prefer it if he was a short term option, possibly moving into a DoF type role next season with say Ian Murray etc in charge. Not that enthused by Andy Kirk tbh.

10 minutes ago, PerthSaint01 said:

Would prefer it if he was a short term option, possibly moving into a DoF type role next season

This feels like its what'll happen, and makes sense, but then where does that leave Gus MacPherson?

And what happens if we tell MacPherson hes got a year then Levein takes over, then Levein absolutely bombs as manager?

I just don't get a good feeling about this, but I doubt I would from any appointment as everything abouts the clubs been so negative for so long. Hard rut to escape mentally.