Saints v the ranjurs Sunday the 18th of February

Setting Son

Kept them at bay but never posed any threat of our own.

Thought Clark might have come on earlier.

Max is simply out of his depth at this level and the experiment with him has to end for this season. Still time for him to be loaned out to a Championship side which might make him progress a bit.

Sprangler must be wondering what is going on, he's not the only one.

Every fifty, fifty ball seemed to end up as a foul to Rangers.

As has been mentioned, if the rule for a penalty is deliberate handball then the second is not one. However, I know it's now all about body shape, so these incidents will always end up as spot kicks, especially against this lot.

Let's face it, correct calls or not, VAR has it in for us.

Hopefully, we're suitably organised defensively going forward, to get enough points to keep us ahead of the bottom two.

We really need to start carrying some sort of threat up front though.

Overall, not bad, but not great either.

44 minutes ago, Gekko said:

Max is simply out of his depth at this level and the experiment with him has to end for this season. Still time for him to be loaned out to a Championship side which might make him progress a bit.

Sprangler must be wondering what is going on, he's not the only one.

When is a journo going to ask him about this?

Before Levein Sprangler was a fans favourite and appeared to have the complete game.

Now we are seeing, repeatedly, an unprepared and less effective player in Kucheriavyi being shoehorned in at any given opportunity.

Weird! Weird enough and getting enough traction for a journalist to ask the question surely.

Amazing how many cherry buns were in the East Stand, including off duty Police (of the Glasgow persuasion) and another videoing his support round the ground.

Bad enough listening to their bile in 2 stands and a section of the Main Stand, but all 4 sections of the ground!!!

Can see why Saints S/T holders avoid this scenario.

Never thought I'd say this, but Geoff/Stan  is right, let them have both ends and the East Stand and Saints fans in the Main Stand.

On the proviso, that the admission charge is £30 and Saints S/T holders can bring a friend for free.

Okay, the friend might not be a Saints fan, however I can tolerate that.

12 minutes ago, Two Cups 2021 said:

Amazing how many cherry buns were in the East Stand, including off duty Police (of the Glasgow persuasion) and another videoing his support round the ground.

Bad enough listening to their bile in 2 stands and a section of the Main Stand, but all 4 sections of the ground!!!

Never thought I'd say this, but Geoff/Stan  is right, let them have both ends and the East Stand and Saints fans in the Main Stand.

On the proviso, that the admission charge is £30 and Saints S/T holders can bring a friend for free.

Even the commentator mentioned it two full stands and other fans dotted around the other two stands.

Question is why were they allowed tae stay, brought up at the last two meetings and still nothing done why ??

32 minutes ago, Two Cups 2021 said:

I’d charge them more . Who cares what they think £35 and no reduced concessions 

Never expected a Saints win today.

However the Ref. who I'd never heard of was out of his depth.

According to VAR assistant, he missed two clear and obvious penalties.

Appart from that, awarding 24 free kicks for trips/dives and only 6 to the home team sums up his performance. 

Not using that as an excuse, as the ball has to land in the opposition net to get anything from the game.

Disappointed in the manner we lost and left the ground when the 2nd penalty decision was given.

Gutted.

1 hour ago, sixties saintee said:

Even the commentator mentioned it two full stands and other fans dotted around the other two stands.

Question is why were they allowed tae stay, brought up at the last two meetings and still nothing done why ??

As has been highlighted before they could only have got tickets from a season ticket holder or someone on the database.

People need to start giving the club the seat numbers so that it can be traced back and those buying the tickets dealt with.

7 minutes ago, Templar Saint said:

As has been highlighted before they could only have got tickets from a season ticket holder or someone on the database.

People need to start giving the club the seat numbers so that it can be traced back and those buying the tickets dealt with.

I am sure they know the seat numbers.

Penalty Rangers and then penalty rangers, every foul to rangers, we are bad enough to watch without all the extras conspiring against us, but VAR is killing the game and as we thought only two clubs benefitting from it up here.

Hardly worth going when you know they will get every decision and now they have some sub standard ref who can’t get a gig re refereeing it trying to find everything to give them the benefit out of view in some dark room out of site, getting instructions from Crawford fooking Allan!

saints trying to play a bit but not enough of them brave enough on the ball and just give away cheap possession all the time, the midfield dig a bit but make no effort to support the front man, where are the goals coming from and you know if we go one down we will never get two back to win, it’s just horrible.

Staying up is great but watching this another season you question is it worth getting a season ticket to watch this negative dross, add in VAR, footballs dying a death it’s all set up to help the big teams!

And why have the Beeb got clum on the radio doing our games, the irony of his comments like need to sign more quality, aye the quality you left us with ya erse, and the wingman  Richard giggling d*** come on you reds Gordon, still piping on about the reds going to Europe, what an afternoon to be alive!!

48 minutes ago, crieffsaintandy said:

Penalty Rangers and then penalty rangers, every foul to rangers, we are bad enough to watch without all the extras conspiring against us, but VAR is killing the game and as we thought only two clubs benefitting from it up here.

Hardly worth going when you know they will get every decision and now they have some sub standard ref who can’t get a gig re refereeing it trying to find everything to give them the benefit out of view in some dark room out of site, getting instructions from Crawford fooking Allan!

saints trying to play a bit but not enough of them brave enough on the ball and just give away cheap possession all the time, the midfield dig a bit but make no effort to support the front man, where are the goals coming from and you know if we go one down we will never get two back to win, it’s just horrible.

Staying up is great but watching this another season you question is it worth getting a season ticket to watch this negative dross, add in VAR, footballs dying a death it’s all set up to help the big teams!

And why have the Beeb got clum on the radio doing our games, the irony of his comments like need to sign more quality, aye the quality you left us with ya erse, and the wingman  Richard giggling d*** come on you reds Gordon, still piping on about the reds going to Europe, what an afternoon to be alive!!

You missed Kenny Miller calling every free kick correct. Every booking correct . Every VAR correct . The whole of the first half looking at an excuse to slag the pitch except when the Ranjurs scored . Complemented the Ranjurs on all their attempts first half . 
  He’d be as well sitting with the strip scarf and tammy on singing Derry’s Walls 

You could write the script for every game but especially against the ugly sisters! Before a ball is kicked you know they are going to get everything…it’s not just VAR that’s killing the game it’s the media too… no one has the guts to speak the truth they are trying to protect their cushy punditry jobs!
It’s only Saints after all, we should know our place. As much as I hate the thought of relegation it might be worth it just to get away from the old firm, who by the way are both third rate! Two penalties! We can hardly get two in a season!

Never mind Rangers back where they belong !!!

No wonder fans stay away

Not convinced the first pen qualifies as clear and obvious. VAR need to cut this nonsense out. If 3 refs can't make a decision after 30 seconds then go with on field devision.

I'm not 100% sure Considine didn't get a touch.

As for handball....I give up trying to work out what will be given. Going by recent decisions Robinson did commit a foul, but there will be incidents in the next few weeks where a penalty won't be given

Today was a free hit, we missed. More important games coming up, need to find a way to attack, we seem to be able to defend ok.

5 hours ago, mike_gain said:

Not convinced the first pen qualifies as clear and obvious. VAR need to cut this nonsense out. If 3 refs can't make a decision after 30 seconds then go with on field devision.

It’s about as clear a penalty as you’re ever going to see, the fact that VAR had to get involved for it to be given is quite embarrassing. A blatant an example of on-field referees abdicating responsibility. 

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

We've not kept a clean sheet in 2 months.

So? Doesn't mean we can't defend. For a team that struggles to score and indeed press the opposition we don't concede that many goals.

Our main issue defensively is not preventing balls into the box as our weakness is defending high balls. That is in part due to our ineffective forward play, not how we defend.

24 minutes ago, mike_gain said:

So? Doesn't mean we can't defend. For a team that struggles to score and indeed press the opposition we don't concede that many goals.

Our main issue defensively is not preventing balls into the box as our weakness is defending high balls. That is in part due to our ineffective forward play, not how we defend.

Come on!!! Surely you can’t be legislating for the way that back three defended on Sunday? They are all over the place. If anything, crosses into the box is when they are at their best.

They are so slow, immobile and ponderous.

I can't remember ever seeing the East Stand look so empty for one of these games. And there were people filing out of it before Rangers' first penalty had even been kicked. I know people are always put off by games against this lot but our support seems particularly turned off at the moment. Between VAR and the way the team is being set up to play, I'm becoming sick of it myself and can see there being a real dip in season ticket sales next season even if we stay up.

For me it's not even about whether VAR is getting the decisions right or wrong. It's just the endless delays, the confusion, and the sudden penalties out of nowhere when the game has moved on to a completely different part of the pitch and as a fan in the stand you weren't even aware there'd been an incident. And on top of that there's all the players constantly going down and holding their heads to get the game stopped. It's just sucking all enjoyment out of the game and I don't think I've ever felt more disillusioned with going to Scottish football.

I thought the team were pretty much OK in the match and held our own for lengthy spells of it but as with most other games at the moment we had barely any attacking intent so as soon as we went 1-0 down we just looked done for. How many different strikers do we need to see struggle on their own up front before we realise that it's not the strikers that are the problem, it's the way the rest of the team behind them is set up.

Bored of complaining about Sprangler's absence from the team but it really is baffling, especially in a match like this one where we were calling out for a tackler in the middle to help out Phillips. I'm not really seeing what Connor Smith is bringing to the team and I personally think Stevie May would be a far better option in that advanced left-midfield position: he'd cover more ground, put in more tackles and support the striker more. Sidibeh and Kimpioka as a pairing didn't really work and I felt Nicky Clark should have been brought on earlier (in fact, I thought yesterday was a prime example of a game in which Chris Kane would have been a useful option).

At the moment I struggle to see where we're actually going to get our next win from and I'm worried that by the time we play Livingston in a couple of weeks we might have been sucked back into trouble.

Just generally feeling a bit fed up with all of it at the moment.

P.S. I can't quite get over all these pundits on Sportsound, Sportscene and the rest of it suddenly shouting from the rooftops that they're against VAR. They're the ones who used to spend hours endlessly analysing every refereeing error and moaning about the lack of technology. They're completely complicit in what we've ended up with.

55 minutes ago, mike_gain said:

We still hand teams far too many chances. Motherwell are the only side recently who havent managed over 20 touches in our box, with Dundee managing 51.

Camping your entire team within 40 yards of your goal and still relying heavily on your keeper making saves isnt good defending.

I thought we made a decent fist of things to be fair. If we had mangaed to get to half time all square it might have been a different game but it's pointless retreading what might have been.

I try to take the positives when playing the old firm and we looked to hard to break down and there is still a good spirit about the team despite the poor run we are on.

Rangers are light years ahead of us in personnel and look like becoming a very well oiled machine.

I've moved on. Agree about all the empty spaces around both home stands and this is why I think we should just take the old firm dough and give up three stands to the away fans. It is what it is and we are never going to change that.