#03 - 05/08/08 - Stenhousemuir (a) - Co-Op Insurance Cup

Looking forward to visiting Ochilview for the first time.

Of course, our main priority is the league, so I'd expect McInnes would wish to field a slightly weakened fringe side, but still an XI perfectly capable of coming away with a win. A weaker team may not be possible though. With our defensive options so meagre, there aren't really many options other than to play the same back four of Irvine, Rutkiewicz, James, and Sheerin. I can't see us signing a left back by Tuesday which is a shame, as Paul and Liam Craig's talents are considerably wasted playing in that unfamilar position. I wouldn't be surprised if McCaffrey started in place of one of James or Rutkiewicz.

With Samuel and Milne injured, we are left with only 3 out and out strikers in Jackson, MacDonald and Holmes, so I can't imagine us playing a 4-3-3, but a 4-4-2 instead. Who Del picks, I don't know, but I'd be tempted to start Saturday's substitute Holmes, with A.N. Other (possibly Jackson, who looked short of match fitness and sharpness yesterday).

In midfield, I'd start Swankie on the left, and would be tempted to give Weatherston a run out on the right, with Millar in the centre beside perhaps a more gritty player such as Hardie. Does Liam Craig's red card only suspend him from league matches or will he be unavailable on Tuesday?

Anyway, I look forward to this match after a promising start to the league season. The confidence is there, but Stenhousemuir shouldn't be underestimated.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally -whilst i agree the league is the priority-i feel that we should field a strong team against Stenny and hope that we can maintain a settled team at the start of this seasons campaign....i think we need another cup run -just incase we are not gonna be the top team at the end of this season and the cash would come in handy.

BBC Radio Scotland have "hinted" that the 2 biggest teams to gamble on success this season are Dunfermline and Dundee and if one or both of them fail then part-time football will ensue.(so i reckon a cup run is just as vital)

The same applies to Kilmarnock in the SPL who if they lose their status in the top flight may go bust or part-time as well.

FFS WTF - Can someone fill me in on how many cups there are these days. I mean we've just gone out of the Challenge cup - Is this one the Auld League Cup, or a Cooperative Divi Holders only cup, or the WOS v EOS cup, or last years failed Scottish Cup challengers or just the Scottish cup wie yet another sponsor or what? Seems ridiculous having all these cup competitions going when the season has hardly started. Mind you I suppose you could get yourself out o' them all and concentrate on the league from the very start. Hmmm :) yes.

Got to play as strong a team as possible as on that showing yesterday, we are miles away from being promoted. Too many passengers not knowing where they should be etc.

This is an ideal game to play a similar team to yesterday and keep monentum going.

We are not good enough to be resting half a team IMO.

The Co-operative Insurance Cup is the competition formerly known as the CIS Cup. Just a new sponsor.

Not quite. It's the same company, they've just re-branded themselves from CIS (standing for Co-operative Insurance Society) to simply Co-operative Insurance.

Doesn,t CIS stand for Co-operative Insurance Services.Is it not the same sponsors as before??????:?

Got there before me. :sad:

Got to play as strong a team as possible as on that showing yesterday, we are miles away from being promoted. Too many passengers not knowing where they should be etc.

This is an ideal game to play a similar team to yesterday and keep monentum going.

We are not good enough to be resting half a team IMO.

Have to agree with that but would not play James as I don`t think he could cope with 2 games a week.

Quite looking forward to this one. I work down that way so a nice post match pub dinner followed by a leisurely 10 minute journey up to Larbert for me. Hopefully a decent result to build confidence. Also hoping for a decent turn out from the travelling support.

I'd be tempted to give Weatherston, Swankie and Holmes runs from the start. Who knows who will be at left back.

Haven't been there since that fateful day but looking forward to it all the same. Will be interesting to see how they play on the synthetic turf as the MOntrose pitch seemed to throw a few of the Saints players. 2-0 win, another shut out for Euan "Clean Sheets" McLean!

I can't see him totally changing the team, we don't have enough players for that anyway do we? He could use the opportunity to give a guy like Weatherston a run out and big Holmesy.

I'd like to see the defence and keeper remain the same as following a good defensive performance and clean sheet v Livvy. I don't like a choppy changey defence as I don't think it helps things much. Better to have a solid defensive base that everyone is happy with. (Until we find a left back of course!)

I'd go with:

McLean

Irvine Rusty James Sheerin

Weatherston Millar Hardie

Jacko Holmes Peaso

I wouldn't have James near the starting XI on the plastic pitch tomorrow night. I think everyone is agreed the league is the priority and it's not being over-confident to say we should be able to put out a side without Kevin James and still win the match. Also have to be realistic and it's not unlikely he might miss games this season, so it offers an opportunity for Ruti and Caff to play together again.

I think Del might look for pace up front tomorrow night and save Holmes for Saturday, where we're facing a side packed with players above six foot. Would also line us up 4-4-2 as I think we'll play that way at Greenock. Have to wait to see whose fit but that would mean Jacko and either Sammy or Savo up top with Weatherston, Millar, Hardie and Swankie problably across the middle, although the worry there is the lack of grit.

Does anyone know what section of the ground we get?

IMO for what its worth, i dont think del will tinker with the team much at all and big kev will be a certain starter .sammy will be out from saturdays starting 11 due to injury and i see that as the only major change , so line up will be McCLEAN:IRVINE:CRAIG:MILLAR:RUSTY:BIG KEV:PEASO:MAD MARTIN:JACKO:SWANKIE:SHEERIN.SUBS: CAFF:SAVO:HOLMER:DAVIE W:SUB GOALIE we willjust have to wait and see how close my team is to dels over to you del boy!!

IMO for what its worth, i dont think del will tinker with the team much at all and big kev will be a certain starter .sammy will be out from saturdays starting 11 due to injury and i see that as the only major change , so line up will be McCLEAN:IRVINE:CRAIG:MILLAR:RUSTY:BIG KEV:PEASO:MAD MARTIN:JACKO:SWANKIE:SHEERIN.SUBS: CAFF:SAVO:HOLMER:DAVIE W:SUB GOALIE we willjust have to wait and see how close my team is to dels over to you del boy!!

will craig be allowed to play after the red card though? o is that league only?