auld shops

Wish i was Joe McGurn

I view with a touch of nostalic sadness the demise of Comet which now I guess becomes an auld shop. Comet - sadness? - well I bought my first ever serious purchase from an original Comet Discount Warehouse in Renfrew. Sometime around 1972/3 . A smart little Bush Radio/Cassette player that had FM! It was better than my best mates as his compact cassette player (note no radio) was one of the little A4 size Philips cassette players with the flip-up lid to the cassette compartment.

At the time Comet was a warehouse and used to advertise everything it sold by taking a double-page centre spread in the Evening Times every so often. You got the reference number and went along to the warehouse. All there was was a shortish counter (I recall a little glazed cabinet at one end displaying things like a few watches and cameras). Anyway - like a take-away it always had the double page ad on the counter. Behind and open to all were the racks up to the roof of all the stuff you could buy. You gave the reference number to one of the counter staff / warehousemen. They got it - you paid for it. Deal done. I can recall travelling home with my dad in his little Vauxhall Viva van gazing in delight at my new acquisition and fiddling with the buttons and knobs. Think it cost £16 - in the days my 7 day week morning paper round (40 odd houses) paid £2 a week :-)

So yes a bit of sadness and nostaliga.

Edited by henryhallsdanceband

• 6 years later...
On 4/14/2011 at 9:49 PM, john.w said:

I was sure it was the True Form but there used to be mair shoe shops in the High St than sugardaddys at Dens.

There used to be Timpsons, Saxones, True Form, Norwells and one between the Watergate and St Johns St to name a few

To add to the list...Birrells & Bata 

Incidently walking down High St last week a shop front was getting done up and the Saxone name could be seen above the window.

On 5/21/2019 at 8:14 PM, HOODLUM65 said:

To add to the list...Birrells & Bata 

Incidently walking down High St last week a shop front was getting done up and the Saxone name could be seen above the window.

Was that 3 or 4 shop fronts down from Woolworths towards St Pauls?  I think I still owe them 2/6d!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 4/3/2011 at 11:37 PM, john.w said:

Scotts the electrician's shop stood ootside lookin in the window many a night watching fitba matches.

I remember that pub I think there was a gospel hall next door, when I was at the shands school we used to go to a wee shop across the road fie the pub .you had to watch the auld boy used to sell wormy apples .

McMurray and Archibald the coachbuilder wis opposite the end of South William St, there was a pub on the corner of South William St and Princess St wis that the Moncrieff'

Parky used to gie us shet for throwin sticks up the trees for conkers.

boats used to dredge the channel for the boats coming up to the Lower Harbour, I think one of the boats wis called the fairycastle or something I wouldnea have went on the south inch pond on those old tubs

Was looking for McMurray & Archibald when I found this.

You could get off the train in Princes St. and down a flight of steps next to McMurray & Archibalds.

Got a wee job picking up vehicles for repair and delivering courtesy cars with them when they had places opposite the prison (now Howdens) & Shore Road (now Tower Bakery) and moved with them to under Friarton bridge.

Got taken over , not sure what they're called now.

15 hours ago, HOODLUM65 said:

You could get off the train in Princes St. and down a flight of steps next to McMurray & Archibalds.

Got a wee job picking up vehicles for repair and delivering courtesy cars with them when they had places opposite the prison (now Howdens) & Shore Road (now Tower Bakery) and moved with them to under Friarton bridge.

Did not know they did day release back then to get you back into the community.

On 11/15/2019 at 5:54 PM, HOODLUM65 said:

L&I Eaton. Manchester company.