#04 - 21/08/11 - Celtic 0-1 Saints - SPL

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely spot on Hazel the negativity has been depressing.

Only because of what we have been watching on the park!

Today proves everything we've been saying.

We have a good squad of players.

Better than our league position suggests.

Better than the media think.

They just need belief and to be set out properly with the right guys in the right positions, match by match.

Today we excelled, as I know we can.

Hope to see more of it, and for Derek to win over his doubters we'll need more of the heart we showed today.

Always said Enck was a great shotstopper.

2 up front? wtf was Derek thinking? :laugh:

I was there midweek when we last defeated Celtic at Parkhead.It only comes round every ten years or so.We rode our luck at times today but it has deserted us for weeks and weeks now.

Proud of all the fans that made the trip and obviously the team and management.

Well done saints.

Hope that might add a few hundred onto the crowd for Saturday.

Only because of what we have been watching on the park!

Today proves everything we've been saying.

We have a good squad of players.

Better than our league position suggests.

Better than the media think.

They just need belief and to be set out properly with the right guys in the right positions, match by match.

Today we excelled, as I know we can.

Hope to see more of it, and for Derek to win over his doubters we'll need more of the heart we showed today.

Always said Enck was a great shotstopper.

2 up front? wtf was Derek thinking? :laugh:

Why should Derek worry about his doubters? There's actually not very many of you. I had hoped that you might be a bit more positive today Andrew - but you still manage to have a dig at Del. As for "today proves what we were saying" is that the royal we? What you were actually saying was that you would like a poll to get Jody out of the club - that's you as in you, not we.

On a more positive note - well done for being there today. You and all the others who went deserve days like today.

Why should Derek worry about his doubters? There's actually not very many of you. I had hoped that you might be a bit more positive today Andrew - but you still manage to have a dig at Del. As for "today proves what we were saying" is that the royal we? What you were actually saying was that you would like a poll to get Jody out of the club - that's you as in you, not we.

Hyperbole borne out of frustration is clearly lost on many on here :laugh:

I won't do it again. If you can be bothered, go back and see how many were unhappy with Jody for one reason or another, whether directly with him or with the way the manager has told him to play.

On a more positive note - well done for being there today. You and all the others who went deserve days like today.

If I'm honest, I went out of intense interest just to see how we would line up and who would play. Never expected that result.

I drove from Stirling to Perth on Friday to get the tickets. Don't doubt my support for St Johnstone, nor 101's who I sat beside. I spared a wee thought for guys like Ghostie who missed yesterday and who is more deserving than I am to see a result like that. Don't doubt how pleased I am. I know we've got great potential, if managed and set out correctly.

I have been unhappy and frustrated with a manager who has consistently set out the wrong players in the wrong formation and lost matches we ought to have won. If he learns from today then great, but he does appear to be a very slow learner. How long has it taken him to play two up front in Glasgow, regardless of who we are playing? As with any other area of life, respect has to be earned, not assumed because of someone's position.

And, yes, today proves what I (and others) have been saying. Far from being able to say GIRUY to me (which would be stupid because I'm as pleased as anyone else is), it exactly proves my point, which is, our players are capable of so much more than we've seen for half a season or so, if managed and set out properly. Nothing negative or doom and gloom about that.

Having said that, if Celtic had carried a bit of luck they would've scored a fair few.

Jody was outstanding yesterday. The right man in the right place and playing the way we needed. Don't play him in the same way v Dunfermline or St Mirren where we don't have to defend deep, get him up the pitch a bit or play someone else who will drive forward. Vary the style and personnel to suit the opposition, and don't lump long balls like last week when we play Dunfermline. Don't be one dimensional and predictable.

Encks did yesterday what he did a lot of last season, kept a clean sheet with a superb performance which included match winning saves. He has been slated by just as many as have criticised Jody, but I'm not coming on here giving those folk a slagging cos they'll all be delighted with him. We all see things differently but we all support the same team and are on the same side. At times on this forum you would have to wonder about that.

You and I will be here long after Derek has gone. Whether to far better things or not depends on what he does from now. I hope we gain confidence from that performance and we kick on and show the rest of the teams what we can do.

His influence has clearly rubbed off on you! :laugh::D

Cheap shot Mike :laugh::shock:

I'm not as harsh and unforgiving as 101.

You could say that my influence is rubbing off on him. For example, if you saw what he posted on facebook you'd see that he has, for the first time, stated that if Derek learns he's prepared to accept him! :laugh: :laugh:

I have been unhappy and frustrated with a manager who has consistently set out the wrong players in the wrong formation and lost matches we ought to have won. If he learns from today then great, but he does appear to be a very slow learner. How long has it taken him to play two up front in Glasgow, regardless of who we are playing? As with any other area of life, respect has to be earned, not assumed because of someone's position.

And, yes, today proves what I (and others) have been saying. Far from being able to say GIRUY to me (which would be stupid because I'm as pleased as anyone else is), it exactly proves my point, which is, our players are capable of so much more than we've seen for half a season or so, if managed and set out properly. Nothing negative or doom and gloom about that.

I don't doubt your commitment to Saints nor 101's commitment either, Andrew. I also think you have every right to challenge the manager, team selections and the way Derek McInnes sets out teams, which errs on the side of caution. An exchange of opinion is why we have a forum. Where I probably would part company is when your remarks are 'ideological', in other words only used to prove an alreday fixed point of view. I think we are relatively well-managed, although don't doubt there have been mistakes, and that players have rewarded team selection with poor individual performances. You say: "How long has it taken him to play two up front in Glasgow, regardless of who we are playing?" You then end with the entirely legitimate comment "Having said that, if Celtic had carried a bit of luck they would've scored a fair."

The logic of your parting remarks suggests it may have been 'fool-hardy' to play two up front and risk a doing. Who would you have blamed if that had happened? The system, the exposed players or the manager?

I think I know the answer your are ideologicaly pre-disposed to criticsie Del and look for evidence to suppoprt that view. So does 101?

Andrew I know you dont give a flying fig what I think and I dont very often conclude with you ( ideal for a forum) however if you take a straw poll of Dels peers the people who really know Scottish football then they ALL have a high opinion of his managerial skills.

I don't doubt your commitment to Saints nor 101's commitment either, Andrew. I also think you have every right to challenge the manager, team selections and the way Derek McInnes sets out teams, which errs on the side of caution. An exchange of opinion is why we have a forum. Where I probably would part company is when your remarks are 'ideological', in other words only used to prove an alreday fixed point of view. I think we are relatively well-managed, although don't doubt there have been mistakes, and that players have rewarded team selection with poor individual performances. You say: "How long has it taken him to play two up front in Glasgow, regardless of who we are playing?" You then end with the entirely legitimate comment "Having said that, if Celtic had carried a bit of luck they would've scored a fair."

The logic of your parting remarks suggests it may have been 'fool-hardy' to play two up front and risk a doing. Who would you have blamed if that had happened? The system, the exposed players or the manager?

I think I know the answer your are ideologicaly pre-disposed to criticsie Del and look for evidence to suppoprt that view. So does 101?

Great post soulful - you said what I was trying to. Ever thought of a career in journalism/broadcasting?:wink:

If I'm honest, I went out of intense interest just to see how we would line up and who would play. Never expected that result.

I drove from Stirling to Perth on Friday to get the tickets. Don't doubt my support for St Johnstone, nor 101's who I sat beside. I spared a wee thought for guys like Ghostie who missed yesterday and who is more deserving than I am to see a result like that. Don't doubt how pleased I am. I know we've got great potential, if managed and set out correctly.

Having said that, if Celtic had carried a bit of luck they would've scored a fair few.

Jody was outstanding yesterday. The right man in the right place and playing the way we needed. Don't play him in the same way v Dunfermline or St Mirren where we don't have to defend deep, get him up the pitch a bit or play someone else who will drive forward. Vary the style and personnel to suit the opposition, and don't lump long balls like last week when we play Dunfermline. Don't be one dimensional and predictable.

Encks did yesterday what he did a lot of last season, kept a clean sheet with a superb performance which included match winning saves. He has been slated by just as many as have criticised Jody, but I'm not coming on here giving those folk a slagging cos they'll all be delighted with him. We all see things differently but we all support the same team and are on the same side. At times on this forum you would have to wonder about that.

You and I will be here long after Derek has gone. Whether to far better things or not depends on what he does from now. I hope we gain confidence from that performance and we kick on and show the rest of the teams what we can do.

I don't doubt your (or any other Saintees) commitment to Saints, Andrew. What I do take issue with is the way you seem to think you are qualified to judge Del's (or anyone else's) abilities as a coach/manager. Why do you think you are thus qualified? This was a trait of your buddy, 101. He couldn't/wouldn't answer when I asked him the same question.

I really couldn't care about 101's views on anything - from what I could see the guy was a wind-up merchant who deliberately went against the majority to get attention. He lost all credibilty as far as I am concerned with his insistence that Saints were undercharging on admission prices.:roll:

I don't doubt your (or any other Saintees) commitment to Saints, Andrew. What I do take issue with is the way you seem to think you are qualified to judge Del's (or anyone else's) abilities as a coach/manager. Why do you think you are thus qualified?

I comment on what I see. I can't claim any qualification other than being a fan. Do you ever judge David Cameron's performance or that of any politician? Are you qualified to do so? It is a fairly irrelevant point you make.

This was a trait of your buddy, 101. He couldn't/wouldn't answer when I asked him the same question.

Who says he's my buddy? I speak to the guy as I would to you if i met you.

I really couldn't care about 101's views on anything - from what I could see the guy was a wind-up merchant who deliberately went against the majority to get attention.

He did seem to do that. To be fair, he hardly had to say much to get a reaction.

He lost all credibilty as far as I am concerned with his insistence that Saints were undercharging on admission prices.:roll:

I won't judge you, I don't know you. I hardly know anyone on here.

It is funny, that the things you accuse me of, you do yourself. :laugh:

Unless you have very attacking midfielders playing with one up front means you are at best settling for a 0-0.With the defensive nature of our midfield we need to play 2 strikers and its been proven time and time again that its the best way for us to set up. Until we get some positive midfield options we are just going to have to be predictable.

We may have rode our luck at times yesterday but playing the formation we did meant that when we got forward we carried a threat. That's not always been the case against the old firm in the past and this time it worked. Next time it may be a 3 or 4-1 but I'd rather that than not try at all.

Great win and a big well done to the boys. Lets get into Livi on wednesday now and give our home fans something to cheer about - they've been neglected for FAR too long.

Soulful, you are crediting me with a little too much complexity.

I gave up on ideology in my 30's. :laugh:

As for two up front, I would commend him for having a go because our normal efforts through there don't yield much. I'd far rather see a bit more 'go' about us than the caution which I feel has been limiting us no matter who we've been playing.