Craig Beattie

Guest Mongy Max

• 2 weeks later...

I dont mean to be complacent but as we have such a small home support, we can not really afford to have well paid players sitting in the stand. no matter how much i like beattie and he is a quality player it all comes down to finances. so unless the saints supporters come out in their numbers i'm afraid we have to let beattie adams and possibly mooner leave. to protect the stability of the club.

Im sure the club will make a tough decision about Beattie in Jan if necessary. They have done before with injured players. Got to be tough these days, not much room for sentiment in football anymore.

SO we pay a wage for 4 months we spend all the time with physios and coaches getting him fit and then dump him. Oh and if memory serves me right he is on a 1 year deal so we would have to pay for the rest of the year to release him.

Sentiment is one thing stupidity another. If he is not going to feature you put him on loan and recoup some of his saley. Personmally I think he will come good.

SO we pay a wage for 4 months we spend all the time with physios and coaches getting him fit and then dump him. Oh and if memory serves me right he is on a 1 year deal so we would have to pay for the rest of the year to release him.

Sentiment is one thing stupidity another. If he is not going to feature you put him on loan and recoup some of his saley. Personmally I think he will come good.

Dont believe that I said he should leave. And I have spent a few posts defending Beattie and saying that he should get a fair chance when fit. Its possible that given his history with injuries that there is some protection for the club written into the contract.

Craig who ?

Beattie....

Chap of 28 years old, a number of English Premiership appearances and Scotland caps. He has scored goals in the Champions League, Premiership, Championship, SPL and for the national side.

He most recently helped his former side secure a major trophy in the form of the Scottish cup(which Saints have never won).

He has played as strike partner to the likes of Chris Sutton, John Hartson, Maciej Zurawski and Dion Dublin. Kevin Phillips, Victor Moses, Fabio Borini, and Luke Moore. He has been coached by Martin O'Neill, Gordon Strachan, Roberto Di Matteo, Neil Warnock, Paulo Sousa, Brendan Rodgers and Malky Mackay.

He is a player who we have managed to capture on free transfer and he reduced his wage demands. He has been very very unlucky with injury and illness.

With all of that in mind, I think he was well worth a punt!!

waste of a wage .punt him ,get may back and live within yer means.

Yes he has been a waste of a wage so far. But what about when he is fit?

If we 'punt him' as he approaches fitness, then he goes to a rival SPL club and starts banging them in, then all the money paid to him so far has essentially gone down the drain.

If we keep him and nurture him back, then once he does eventually come good the money spent before hasn't been 100% wasted, just reconceptualized as paying him a higher wage for the time he is fit.

This is my argument.

Of course there are weaknesses in this argument, such as the possiblity of him never becoming fit, but if this is his fault then surely there can be contractual terms for remedy, if he has just been unlucky then he will hopefully be back soon.