Grangemouth Petro -Chemical Plant To Close

sixties saintee

This is bad for everyone! Why are the workers suddenly the bad boys! Or the unions for that matter! What if the Union had just sat back & agreed to pay cuts, pension cuts, cuts to terms and conditions! There would have been an uproar!

If the union had backed down, how soon would it be before other firms would chance their mitt and try the same on their workers. We should all be very afraid!

If you think it is bad now when we still have the threat of independence...wait until we don't! The clowns in power are already threatening to reduce the money we receive from the Barnett formula!

I laugh when folk say to me we couldn't afford to go it alone! I think we can't afford not to. If anyone is any doubt we couldn't manage on our own just needs to see how hard our neighbours are trying to hold on to us!

We should all be getting behind these poor workers, one day it will be us!?!

This is a disaster for Salmond and the yes campaign, Salmond and Swinney have been involved in intense negotiations for ten days and have been utterly helpless...been telt phuc off fatty and baldy the grown ups are talking. The facility at Grangemouth is instrumental in Scottish and UK terms, indeed this subject bleeds into global environmental debates and policy and the Scottish government have little or no purchase on a key component of industry and energy policy. The markets are flooded with fracked gas causing volatiltity in oil supply and price, the bosses here are merely using this as an excuse to claw back pay and conditions. Are these the companies who are going to pour cash into the elastic all singing all dancing oil fund to finance the new tartan shangrilla? Fat chance! 'Independence' (whatever that is?) is a red herring and a distraction.

Bullied into submission, the bosses held all the cards, do what we want or we will close the plant, and before the usual comments about the Union Officials, they did what the workers ballotted for, and stood up to the bully boy management tactics.

Glad that the workforce will now not lose there jobs, But the chairman in giving his speech at the news conference has already stated that people will lose there jobs, so its not over .

Oh well a strong signal to big companies and industries to avoid opening up in Scotland <_<  You got to love these union leaders. Scargill still living in his Barbican apartment that he insisted the NUM pay for life (including his wife after his death)  :?:

Edited by AthensSaint

Oh well a strong signal to big companies and industries to avoid opening up in Scotland <_<  You got to love these union leaders. Scargill still living in his Barbican apartment that he insisted the NUM pay for life (including his wife after his death)  :?:

All very well when you can sit in your multi million yacht in the Med throwing your toys out the pram because people said know to you.

unions are corrupt and being united always leads to seperation

you know,when workers start to fight amongst themselves (like here in France,with the porc industery,mainly in Brittany..or the coal miners crossing the picket line! things are BAD. Grangemouth workers i bet,will have difficulties in paying their domestic heating bills, on the lower wage;; fuque the free trade deals and maggies Britain, fuque the union european and fuque all forms of

dishonest greed

aye rumpa pum pum stick it up yer bum.free the celery eleven and get productivity back to pre declaration of arbroath levels.no stone unturned unless its a gall stone and push for the repopulation of st kilda with double glazed hooses and dry stane dykes.push a pram up a hill and if ye dinnae put the brakes on it might roll doon and topple over.just ask jack or jill.stick a finger in yer eye and it always hurts yer aye.always smell yer food before ye eat it as it could be the dogs.dont buy anything from uraquay either or it might hurt uranus.

I think economic reality has prevailed, and I'm very happy those folks still have jobs to go to.

With regard to trade unions and their representation of their workers. Ask some union members who work at Grangemouth how they feel about this. Then go ask the same question of some other (ex)-union members who used to work in coal mining, electronics, or the automotive industries here in the UK.

I realise that most of the privileges enjoyed by workers today were fought for and won by the trade union movement at some point. But in recent time some of their leaders have behaved as if the needs of their members were not the reason for their existence, and that their real agenda was wider political change. Scargill admitted that his aim was to bring down the government of the day. If he wanted political power, he should have looked for it at the ballet box rather than through leading innocent union members into strikes as patsies for him in order to overthrow an elected government. I fear McLuskey may be cut from some of the same cloth.

I think economic reality has prevailed, and I'm very happy those folks still have jobs to go to.

With regard to trade unions and their representation of their workers. Ask some union members who work at Grangemouth how they feel about this. Then go ask the same question of some other (ex)-union members who used to work in coal mining, electronics, or the automotive industries here in the UK.

I realise that most of the privileges enjoyed by workers today were fought for and won by the trade union movement at some point. But in recent time some of their leaders have behaved as if the needs of their members were not the reason for their existence, and that their real agenda was wider political change. Scargill admitted that his aim was to bring down the government of the day. If he wanted political power, he should have looked for it at the ballet box rather than through leading innocent union members into strikes as patsies for him in order to overthrow an elected government. I fear McLuskey may be cut from some of the same cloth.

cornish pasties might help as long as they live in cornwall

Errrr, just talk about like I'm not here then

Aye ok then, How are you?...................

.Roy! :laugh:

Edited by THE LARK SAINT

This is a disaster for Salmond and the yes campaign, Salmond and Swinney have been involved in intense negotiations for ten days and have been utterly helpless...been telt phuc off fatty and baldy the grown ups are talking. The facility at Grangemouth is instrumental in Scottish and UK terms, indeed this subject bleeds into global environmental debates and policy and the Scottish government have little or no purchase on a key component of industry and energy policy. The markets are flooded with fracked gas causing volatiltity in oil supply and price, the bosses here are merely using this as an excuse to claw back pay and conditions. Are these the companies who are going to pour cash into the elastic all singing all dancing oil fund to finance the new tartan shangrilla? Fat chance! 'Independence' (whatever that is?) is a red herring and a distraction.

Due to the Stockholm syndrome my compatriots seem to have with our parasitic neighbours it will always be easy to bash Eck & Co. Yes you are right they are helpless, for the record they are fighting with one arm behind their back! Fighting nevertheless.Take the politics out of this! What kind of country doesn't want to govern itself? But never mind when Scotland has been reduced to a third world nation you can sit back knowing you did all in you power to make it happen! It is easy to sit & slag off folk who actually give a toss about the country! Grangemouth should never have been sold off by the government in the first place! Downright disgrace!

Due to the Stockholm syndrome my compatriots seem to have with our parasitic neighbours it will always be easy to bash Eck & Co. Yes you are right they are helpless, for the record they are fighting with one arm behind their back! Fighting nevertheless.Take the politics out of this! What kind of country doesn't want to govern itself? But never mind when Scotland has been reduced to a third world nation you can sit back knowing you did all in you power to make it happen! It is easy to sit & slag off folk who actually give a toss about the country! Grangemouth should never have been sold off by the government in the first place! Downright disgrace!