St Johnstone Vs Motherwell - 25/2/2014

Aitchy

To make the set even more complete and in response to the claims about how uninspiring the midfield selection was (and in truth I don't actually disagree with that and expected Wright to name four attacking players rather than the three), it was the eighth time this season that Wright had selected the three of them together. Only defeat before yesterday was at Celtic Park in September, where I think most agreed we were unlucky? You can say that's pouring over things on paper if you want but working off the basis of possibilities, you can build up false impressions, as you've highlighted with the comment about Wotherspoon. I agree that you feel something might happen when he gets the ball but the fact is that so far this season it largely hasn't, so what is the more useful tool? Our gut feeling and memory of what (we think has) happened or what is there in black and white, i.e. he's assisted two goals this season, less than Chris Millar!

Thanks Radford. You're like a soothing wet face cloth to my fevered hysteria. :)

There is a useful tool on the Soccerbase website that lets you filter results depending on the involvement of a couple of players.

Matches where Millar/McDonald start: Won 11 (50%), Drawn 3 (14%), Lost 8 (36%)

Matches where neither start: Won 4 (33%), Drawn 3 (25%), Lost 5 (42%)

Clearly they are the reason we are only sixth in the Premiership, only reached the semi-final of the League Cup and are only in the last eight of the Scottish Cup.

I'd like to know which twelve games that neither Millar/MacDonald have started - because that is clearly wrong and therefore completely nullifies your stat.

I'd like to know which twelve games that neither Millar/MacDonald have started - because that is clearly wrong and therefore completely nullifies your stat.

Yes, it should read that one or other didn't start, i.e they didn't play together. That's a typo on my part, nothing more.

Neither have started four times.

League

Hearts - Won 1-0

Aberdeen - Drew 0-0

Celtic - Lost 2-1

ICT - Won 4-0

St Mirren - Lost 4-3

Motherwell - Won 2-0

Hearts - Won 2-0

Kilmarnock - Won 3-1

ICT - Lost 1-0

Aberdeen - Lost 2-0

Partick - Won 1-0

Hibernian - Drew 0-0

Ross County - Lost 1-0

St Mirren - Won 2-0

Hearts - Drew 2-2

Celtic - Lost 3-0

ICT - Lost 1-0

Games: 17 - Won: 7 - Drawn: 3 - Lost: 7 - Goals scored: 18 - Goals conceded: 16

Thats all the game I can find that they've both started. Doesn't really prove anything either way due to the ironic equal totals, regardless the most recent run is heavily against the pairing in truth

Thats all the game I can find that they've both started.

You don't need to find anything. Just use the filter on the following link. Can add up to two players at time or just look at individuals. You better be quick though before slf uses up all the bandwith on their site.

http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=2472&teamTabs=results

You don't need to find anything. Just use the filter on the following link. Can add up to two players at time or just look at individuals. You better be quick though before slf uses up all the bandwith on their site.

http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=2472&teamTabs=results

Thats an incredibly handy thing I had no idea about, I was just going through every league game this season manually  :lol:  regardless the results I found were spot on. Think the main problem is the form over the past month or so without it being rectified more than any problem thats been there from the start, it is for me anyway. We've won three of the last ten they've started, with one being a match against Livingston

Thats an incredibly handy thing I had no idea about, I was just going through every league game this season manually :LAUGH OUT LOUD: regardless the results I found were spot on. Think the main problem is the form over the past month or so without it being rectified more than any problem thats been there from the start, it is for me anyway. We've won three of the last ten they've started, with one being a match against Livingston

And we all know that the Livi game was won because of Jahic.

We to be positve and go out to win our home games.

Mannus

Miller Mackay Anderson Easton

Brown

Croft            Wotherspoon             O'Halloran

May

O'Halloran deserves his chance has done nothing wrong in the games he has played. Did well in the full game against Forfar. Came on when we were down and out against Aberdeen and Celtic but still gave 100% when easy to switch off and go through the motions.

I'm glad Radford has been to all this trouble as it backs up my thinking over the last few days. People are really turning on Wright saying he's cost us games recently with his selections and stating they were clearly wrong and that the games were lost before we even started. But we went through good runs with those guys in there and they are perfectly capable.

That said, I also believe Millar and, particularly, Macdonald are badly off form just now, so something has to give. There's also been a lot of grief aimed at Wotherspoon lately too. I wonder if moving him in to the middle in place of perhaps Millar might work?

Tough selection to be made going into this game. Get it right and we can certainly win this which could be a big turning point in our season.

Yes, I had no problems with McDonald or Millar before the last few games. As you said, they are hitting a bad run of form just now. I don't think their past contributions should be disregarded. Millar has been a good option for many seasons now, albeit not one who I would say merits a regular starting-place. McDonald has been fairly consistent up until recently and I was pleasantly surprised with his inputs. Let's not forget that he also scored the crucial goal to get us into the semi-final.

However, they are both a waste of a jersey at this moment in time and I hope Tommy Wright amends this.

Don't want to give the impression I'm anti Spoony.

In fact I want him in the team.

Just frustrated at his final delivery.

There are times to float a cross in (out of the keeper's reach)

There are times to fire a cross in.

There are times to cross hard and low.

There are times to lay a cross "on a plate" on the deck for a striker.

There are times to have a shot.

Just needs to sort out in his own mind, when to choose the correct option.

The coaching staff should be assisting him in the matter, when they study the videos.

Never seen the point in changing a winning team. We played with pace and were clinical against Forfar. I'm sure Lennon wouldn't of expected to see the same team at Parkhead. We ve went from teams trying to stop us playing to us going defensive and it doesn't suit us. Very disheartening.