Gary Macdonald

Broon

Does Gary MacDonald deserve to start for saints?  

153 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I also noticed the Gary Mac red mist which made him make 3 sliding tackles in a row!!!  

What was unforgivable though was allowing Imrie to gallop down right hand side whilst he jogged beside him for 50 yards and then allow Imrie to come inside the box without a single challenge. He didn't even get within 5 yards of him. Waste of space.

Certainly wasn't our worst player yesterday but people make allowances for one-off's for the more consistent players. A Gary Macdonald good performance is a one-off unfortunately.

He can't play in a midfield two, that's been obvious since we've signed him. I don't think it's fair to give him a hard time when he is thrown in to a system that clearly doesn't suit him unless he was noticeably a weak link, which I don't think he was yesterday.

Don't get me wrong, he's a player I don't think we can afford to keep on with a budget as tight as ours and I'd not shed any tears were he to go.

He can't play in a midfield two, that's been obvious since we've signed him. I don't think it's fair to give him a hard time when he is thrown in to a system that clearly doesn't suit him unless he was noticeably a weak link, which I don't think he was yesterday.

Don't get me wrong, he's a player I don't think we can afford to keep on with a budget as tight as ours and I'd not shed any tears were he to go.

nonsense. If he can't play in which ever formation the manager picks he might as well pack up and leave. It's not as if he's being asked to play out of position. He's just not very good. As mentioned before to let imrie run 50 yards into the box and not even attempt a challenge is unforgivable

nonsense. If he can't play in which ever formation the manager picks he might as well pack up and leave. It's not as if he's being asked to play out of position. He's just not very good. As mentioned before to let imrie run 50 yards into the box and not even attempt a challenge is unforgivable

Which is why I qualified my point by saying he's somebody we can't afford to keep on...

Imrie is one of the fastest players in the Hamilton team. I thought he did ok to keep up with him. I was asking at the time where our left back was?

I thought we should have gone for Imrie in the summer and got a fair bit of a ribbing about it from my mates, although he is a bit of a hit or a miss it would appear depending on what club he has been at and also taken into a count he is a little dirty annoying basteward  I think a lot of how well he plays is down to how they manage him, Right now after Saturday is still Raw  fresh in our minds who would you chose between Imrie and croft?   

Imrie is one of the fastest players in the Hamilton team. I thought he did ok to keep up with him. I was asking at the time where our left back was?

gmac was right next to imrie. Stride for stride from the Hamilton half all the way to our box he could easily have put a challenge in but for some reason chose not to. Imo it's no coincidence that our run of 6 wins a row coincided with McDonald not playing

gmac was right next to imrie. Stride for stride from the Hamilton half all the way to our box he could easily have put a challenge in but for some reason chose not to. Imo it's no coincidence that our run of 6 wins a row coincided with McDonald not playing

MacDonald is slow according to you all yet he managed to stay with 1 of the fastest wingers in the SPFL stride for stride? Even if he had been closer than a couple of yards to Imrie was he supposed to dive in, miss his tackle with no cover and just let him go 1 on 1 with the keeper?

MacDonald is slow according to you all yet he managed to stay with 1 of the fastest wingers in the SPFL stride for stride? Even if he had been closer than a couple of yards to Imrie was he supposed to dive in, miss his tackle with no cover and just let him go 1 on 1 with the keeper?

where did I say McDonald is slow? From where I was sitting he was right next to imrie but chose not to even attempt any sort of challenge. He just let him run 50 yards into our box. This argument will never end. There will be those who defend him no matter how bad he is and those who will moan about him no matter how well he plays. 1 thing that always gets me is whenever I hear or read anything Hamilton or aberdeen fans have to say about him it's never positive. Strange that

Human beings can run at different speeds. With a level start a slower human is not going to catch a faster one. If MacDonald had made the diagonal run required to tackle him Imrie would have been away and gone and everyone would have been blaming him for diving in.

MacDonald wasn't running, he jogged. When Chris Millar chases back he bust a gut. MacDonald didn't even break sweat.

MacDonald wasn't running, he jogged. When Chris Millar chases back he bust a gut. MacDonald didn't even break sweat.

He runs like an idiot, very hard to see a difference when he's sprinting. The incident on Sunday was not lazy play in any way though, if he moves towards Imrie, Imrie skips by him. Edited by Ali91

Everyone's entitled to an opinion and I suppose it's my own fault for reading it, but this thread does my head in. 

MacDonald may not be the best player in our team, but there is absolutely no way we should be having extensive discussions about how 'dreadful' he is. 

Rarely makes a mistake and for me he shows as much commitment as anyone else in the squad. 

Imrie incident: I'm not sure what else he could have done? He matched his run and made every effort to block the ball into the box. As others have pointed out, trying to get closer to him or dive into a tackle would have resulted in Imrie going 1on1 with Mannus and most likely a goal. Would hate to think what we'd be saying about him on here had that been the case! 

I'd argue it's a positive thing that he (a midfielder) was the one who burst a gut to actually track Imrie to the line.  

We're all fans, but would be nice to see a few more of us acting like supporters sometimes. 

Everyone's entitled to an opinion and I suppose it's my own fault for reading it, but this thread does my head in. 

MacDonald may not be the best player in our team, but there is absolutely no way we should be having extensive discussions about how 'dreadful' he is. 

Rarely makes a mistake and for me he shows as much commitment as anyone else in the squad. 

Imrie incident: I'm not sure what else he could have done? He matched his run and made every effort to block the ball into the box. As others have pointed out, trying to get closer to him or dive into a tackle would have resulted in Imrie going 1on1 with Mannus and most likely a goal. Would hate to think what we'd be saying about him on here had that been the case! 

I'd argue it's a positive thing that he (a midfielder) was the one who burst a gut to actually track Imrie to the line.  

We're all fans, but would be nice to see a few more of us acting like supporters sometimes. 

I agree....I think the way he attempted to deal with the Imrie situation was probably about right...committing himself wouldn't have done any good at all....percentage wise, trying to keep him wide and get between Imrie and the goal was the best tactic.

I would argue with the rarely makes any mistakes bit though.

I am really trying this season to give Gary the benfit of the doubt, and I don't question that he always tries his best, there is no question of a lack of commitment, I am still just not sure whether his best is actually good enough