14,000 +

t

I go to every home game, but very few away games as I work night shift and have to work most Friday and Saturday nights.  I'll be at the final with the guys who go to every home game and some others who don't usually attend.  Is that okay?

I'm going with one ST holder, two other Saints, two part time {Cup semis , Europe etc] Saints supporters,  a Jambo whose dad was a Saints supporter, a Dundee sympathiser and a neutral [ex Utd supporter]. We are in the Saints end. My neighbour, a Utd supporter who only goes to Euro ties and cup finals is taking his father who is a Saints supporter, plus his son, a Utd supporter plus two family who go to finals involving either Dundee team [but are really Dundee fans]. They are in the Utd end.

My point is kind of that both teams will have many non committed fans [sT holders] but on the day will enjoy the occasion and really get behind their adopted team on the day. If any become regulars next Season that is a bonus for Saints.

Well t my mum and dad are season ticket holders both now (87) as is the rest of their row in the main stand they have been all there for about 20 years , many off them are not now regulars as because when they get older they occasional shall we say find themselves unavailable to attend games, they all still buy their season tickets ( My Mum actually missed the whole season a couple years ago) , they are no going to the final. But they have ,sons daughter-in-laws, grandchildren, and possibly great grand children going (still trying to convince the parents ). These glory hunters are going because of them and to support this team called Saints that means so much to them.

I think every McDiarmid Park regular wants to see as many people as possible supporting Saints at the Cup Final, no matter how often they have been to matches in the past. It must be remembered though if it was not for the regular attender there would not be days like the Cup Final to enjoy. I always read the reports on Perthshire Cricket Club and wanted them to win but would never go and see them, sadly they no longer exist.

Hopefully the Cup Final might entice people to come to McDiarmid in the future, especially as we have a generation that think football is for watching on television. The product might not be as good as what Real Madrid produce but it is our team, from our area, and we should be 100% behind them.

So lets all enjoy this great achievement and the next two weeks leading to the biggest, and most important match, in the St.Johnstone's history!!!

I go to every home game, but very few away games as I work night shift and have to work most Friday and Saturday nights.  I'll be at the final with the guys who go to every home game and some others who don't usually attend.  Is that okay?

No. Not okay. You disagreed with something I said, but because I have been to more matches than you this season then you are automatically wrong and I'm right. Night shift is no excuse either. :laugh:

What is wrong with some people?

Who cares who's been where and when, for how long and how they got there?

We're all going to be there for what could be the crescendo that's been looking like coming for the last three or four seasons.

Let's all enjoy it regardless of bragging about who's got the biggest whatever.

The way this topic started certainly seemed negative to me. I'm a 42 year old who moved to Perth when I was 4 and left when I was 15 (not thro choice, my Dad was in the Prison Service) and have only been back to the town a handful of times- last time was approx 2001. I don't know anyone there anymore. I've moved around Scotland and Engerland quite a bit, and haven't seen many Saints games in that time. Shame on me I guess. I know I could have made more of an effort to see them but life gets in the way. I had the BEST childhood growing up in Perth (Craigie Primary and Perth High), up Kinnoull Hill (my Dad said it was Sinbad's Castle up there), swimming off Moncrieff island, catching sticklebacks in Craigie Burn, footy on the North Inch, Boys Brigade (was it St Matthews Church?), swimming in the Earn, and of course going to Muirton Park (and yes kids we did used to get in by being lifted over the turnstile by strangers who said that they were our Dads). I guess when I think about my support of the Saints it's intertwined with my whole time there and a throwback to the great times I had. I live in Coventry now and I'm proud to follow the Saints, even when most people who ask who I support expect I follow either Rangers or Celtic, and when I say St Johnstone they go "who?" and "where are they from?". The last time I knowingly met another Saints fan was about 1997. If I lived in Perth or within a decent distance then I have no doubt I'd have a season ticket, but I don't. I can honestly say that if there was a real shortage of tickets for regular match going fans then I wouldn't go, but how often is McD anywhere near full? That's not a criticism by the way- I love the fact that people give their lives to love and support to the club, I'm proud of you I really am. I'm going to Celtic Park with my Engerlish wife (who is so excited) and will savour every minute, I'll probably fill up when the team come out onto the pitch and cry like a baby if they win. If some people get sniffy about where most of the crowd has come from then they'll be in the minority.

My wife's sister lives in Aberdeen but keeps an eye on Saints. I took her husband to the recent Saints v United game and he said he was quite ashamed that in all the years he'd visited Perth he'd never visited McDiarmid Park but said, as a neutral, he was very impressed with the way St Johnstone play football.

Both of them are coming with me to the final.

My father in law is from Essex and is West Ham fan. He's lived in Perth for many, many years though and is a believer in supporting your local club. Old age and other priorities mean that he doesn't go to many games. However, he is coming to the final with our group as he, and I quote "wants to see history being made". No show without punch, my mother in law is coming too.

My brother runs a football team that my nephew plays in and, although my nephew is a Super J and has been a mascot, go to few games.

They are also coming with me to the final.

So, from a group of three (me and my two younger sons) that normally go to games, has swelled to 10 for a real family day out. Unfortunately my wife has to work or she would be there too.

Does that make the 7 extra coming with me less as fans on the historical May 17th?

Will it mean that they won't cheer on the team?

Not one iota.

The way this topic started certainly seemed negative to me. I'm a 42 year old who moved to Perth when I was 4 and left when I was 15 (not thro choice, my Dad was in the Prison Service) and have only been back to the town a handful of times- last time was approx 2001. I don't know anyone there anymore. I've moved around Scotland and Engerland quite a bit, and haven't seen many Saints games in that time. Shame on me I guess. I know I could have made more of an effort to see them but life gets in the way. I had the BEST childhood growing up in Perth (Craigie Primary and Perth High), up Kinnoull Hill (my Dad said it was Sinbad's Castle up there), swimming off Moncrieff island, catching sticklebacks in Craigie Burn, footy on the North Inch, Boys Brigade (was it St Matthews Church?), swimming in the Earn, and of course going to Muirton Park (and yes kids we did used to get in by being lifted over the turnstile by strangers who said that they were our Dads). I guess when I think about my support of the Saints it's intertwined with my whole time there and a throwback to the great times I had. I live in Coventry now and I'm proud to follow the Saints, even when most people who ask who I support expect I follow either Rangers or Celtic, and when I say St Johnstone they go "who?" and "where are they from?". The last time I knowingly met another Saints fan was about 1997. If I lived in Perth or within a decent distance then I have no doubt I'd have a season ticket, but I don't. I can honestly say that if there was a real shortage of tickets for regular match going fans then I wouldn't go, but how often is McD anywhere near full? That's not a criticism by the way- I love the fact that people give their lives to love and support to the club, I'm proud of you I really am. I'm going to Celtic Park with my Engerlish wife (who is so excited) and will savour every minute, I'll probably fill up when the team come out onto the pitch and cry like a baby if they win. If some people get sniffy about where most of the crowd has come from then they'll be in the minority.

Great post mate - I can really relate to your story.

Although Im a bit younger I left Scotland (Edinburgh) when I was 18 and havent been 'resident' since - roughly ten years. I grew up going to watch games with my Dad (whos thrae Perth - followed Saints for over half a Century) and brothers both home (STs) and away. The drive up to Perth from Edinburgh was all just part of going to see Saints. I have vague memories of going to watch Saints for the first time when I was five years old against Forfar (we won 4 or 5 nil) and immediately declared my love for the club - typical glory hunter behaviour! :wink:

I now live/work in China so getting to games is a bit of a mission but every bit worth the effort. I made it to the game against Eski in Turkey and will be heading back for the final on the 17th. It was an easy decision as the second we beat Aberdeen in the Semi I knew I had to be back for it - it was more the logistical side that was the problem!

If I was still living in Scotland I would have a season ticket and go every week but instead I have to settle for my local team Guangzhou R&F (there are some similarities... blue/white, considered a 'diddy' club... although they certainly dont exist within their means! FIFA financial fair play would have a field trip in China...) who I go to see most weeks for my fix of live football. But goes without saying I would much rather be at McDiarmid Park freezing my baws off watching Dave Mackay n co on a blistery winters night!!

Thanks to the original poster for starting this thread - although your original point backfired you have successfully managed to stir the emotions! Hopefully those emotions will be channelled into one huge bubble of positive energy come 14:55 on 17 May!!!

COYS!!!

I told my girlfriend shes not allowed to come along with me....

I did add she could go with her mates or that though, so I did try and boost the crowd

Same boat.. sat in different stands, I'll be gutted if I see her at all that day!

Welcome to the Forum  wazeroonie.I have a son and Grandchildren  in Cov (Tilehill and Eastern Green .Im down a couple of times  a year if i can .Due back down in June

Could give you a shout for a pint when confirmed

If yer looking for a pint on 17th after the game give me a shout

Every club, no matter how big or small, sees an increase in support when a cup final comes along. Saints are no different in that respect and it's actually a pretty good thing as there's a chance that some of those people could "get the bug" and start coming back. There's no sense in moaning about it.

I'm one of the 14,000. Was a season ticket holder for many years and went to pretty much every game home and away for a long time. I now have to spend most of my time in London due to work, so getting to a lot of Saints games just isn't realistic any more, but I still make it to around 10 or so games a season.

I'm going in a group of 12 folk. Usually there are only around 3 or 4 of us. Most of the 12 are semi-regular at games but it's highly unusual for all of us to go at the same time. For me, this is part of what makes it a brilliant occasion. Everyone's coming from far and wide, to meet in one place, probably for the first time ever. It's the ultimate Saints party. This is what we've all dreamed of for years, and I can't wait. Actually, I can't sleep either. I'm supposed to be a grown man.