Ict V St Johnstone 11Th May 2014 - Match Thread

AthensSaint

Okay can we now have a lorry load of cotton wool delivered to McD by end of business today.

TW, we will forgive you for ever for not risking any of your planned 18 Scottish Cup Squad. We need no extra confidence for the Cup Final anymore. Holding the champions last night is enough. No disrespect meant to ICT but they are physical side and no risks are now needed.

Please, please, please. No injuries to key players.

If we win this game we will (a) finish 5th (and then extra cash that brings), (b ) finish ahead of last years finish (on goal difference) on a reduced budget (c ) go into the final off the back of a win

Am I the only one that sees these as quite important?

No, it would normally be deemed as very important.

How much revenue extra between Cup Final winners and losers when you include we qualify for Europe though ???

Montrose, not saying you are being short sighted. Maybe 130 years of history clouding my opinion :wink:  

If we win this game we will (a) finish 5th (and then extra cash that brings), (b ) finish ahead of last years finish (on goal difference) on a reduced budget (c ) go into the final off the back of a win

You're right Montrose, they are quite important.  Not having any key players getting injured for the final is more important in my book though.

I think it's an important game, but the fringe players did a great turn last night, and I have no problem starting with a similar line up.  I'd quite like to see Steven Maclean get a run out, just to get him sharp.

I'm very tempted to make the trip up for the game.

In regards to b, Do you mean that we will have accumulated more points/goal difference than last season, As we finished 3rd?

Edited by SaintDougie

I think it's an important game, but the fringe players did a great turn last night, and I have no problem starting with a similar line up.  I'd quite like to see Steven Maclean get a run out, just to get him sharp.

I'm very tempted to make the trip up for the game.

McLean came back from four months out and scored 2 v Motherwell and never looked like he'd been away.  I'd keep him under wraps for the final.

In regards to b, Do you mean that we will have accumulated more points/goal difference than last season, As we finished 3rd?

Yeah, that's what I meant.  last year we had 56 points and +1 goal difference.  We have 53 points and +8 goal difference at present.

I agree about maybe resting a couple of players, and would have no qualms about Brown starting again in midfield, he was outstanding last night, but with Miller injured our defensive options are more limited.  

No, it would normally be deemed as very important.

How much revenue extra between Cup Final winners and losers when you include we qualify for Europe though ???

Montrose, not saying you are being short sighted. Maybe 130 years of history clouding my opinion :wink:  

Nah Athens your spot on. There is nothing to be gained and every thing to lose by playing our starters.

I want to see the 2nd string guys get a run, they deserve a chance to make an impression for bench places for the cup.On last nights showing I wouldn't even have wee Hassle starting, he looked in great form.

Okay can we now have a lorry load of cotton wool delivered to McD by end of business today.

TW, we will forgive you for ever for not risking any of your planned 18 Scottish Cup Squad. We need no extra confidence for the Cup Final anymore. Holding the champions last night is enough. No disrespect meant to ICT but they are physical side and no risks are now needed.

Please, please, please. No injuries to key p

I honestly think that Tommy will start his preferred cup final 11.  I appreciate the cup final is our ultimate goal, but you can't predict injuries.  Players can get injured at any time.  Look at Aberdeen's League Cup Final with Hayes getting clobbered in the first minute.  It's just part of football.  Tommy has a job to do to finish as high up the league as he can.

I would also say that almost all the injuries to our players this season have occurred in training, so protecting them by not giving them match practice seems somewhat perverse.  

I honestly think that Tommy will start his preferred cup final 11.  I appreciate the cup final is our ultimate goal, but you can't predict injuries.  Players can get injured at any time.  Look at Aberdeen's League Cup Final with Hayes getting clobbered in the first minute.  It's just part of football.  Tommy has a job to do to finish as high up the league as he can.

I would also say that almost all the injuries to our players this season have occurred in training, so protecting them by not giving them match practice seems somewhat perverse.  

May won't be playing Sunday of that I'm sure.

I reckon this is just the game for big Chris. Ok, he hasn't looked great but if he isn't going to get a start in this type of fixture, then what was the point of him coming here in the first place.

Brown deserves to stay in, reckon Mcdonald should too...Cregg probably will since I wouldn't expect him to start the final.

If Miller is injured then not sure what we'll do at full back...not sure I'd want to risk either Easton or Mackay in this one. Rest Wright and give his place to the likes of Gilchrist.

ICT are a bunch of hammer throwers, I thought them the most physical team I had seen at McD this season when they beat us 1 - 0.  Tommy should look at his proposed cup final squad and then pick as few of them as possible, starting with Mannus.  The two Stevies, don't even think about playing them!  Play a good number of the under 20s, so what if we lose around £80k by finishing 6th instead of 5th.  What will winning the Cup be worth both financially and emotionally?

PS  If we can play a trialist or two I used to be no bad in a position that was called Outside Right!

Would love to go to this game as it's last league game of the season but unfortunately early kick off makes it impossible to get there in time - first train from Aberdeen to Inverness gets in at 12.15!

I don't want us to risk any key players on Sunday as the stakes are too high in the cup game. Inverness aren't going to go lightly on us and it would be devastating for both supporters and players if someone couldn't make it because they had been injured.

Would love to go also. Anyone fancy chipping in for a flight from norwich so I can give the trumpet an airing!!!!

Really no idea what to say, TW earning his bucks with decisions to be made this week!

If TW phoned me for advice tomorrow, which he may well do(!!!!), I would suggest starting with key players on bench and to be used sparingly. Maybe make tipple substitution to give them last half an hour as they're likely to start.

But.........argh.......god knows, I hope!!

Edited by norwichsaint