Liam Craig

thesaint10

no way i want him back

he went to a bigger club in his opinion

he made his choice so cheerio

i wish him well with his new club but not saints

maybe Morton (bit harsh)

I simply can't get my head around this mindset. We should be signing the best possible players we can, the fact they left us (on good terms) at one point in their career shouldn't instantly dismiss them from our thoughts, especially if it looks like they're going to be one of the best possible options out there. 

I take it you want Callum Davidson sacked and never brought near the club ever again aswell? Seeing as he also left us for what he considered bigger things

Don't even recall Liam stating that he thought Hibs were a bigger club. He simply wanted more money for his family. Quite an acceptable decision to make in every profession apart from football, it seems.

This was his quote in the papers about his move...

LIAM CRAIG grew up idolising former Hibs midfielder John Collins – and that’s why he couldn’t say no when the club came calling.

But former Scotland international Collins isn’t the only former Leith star Craig has links to, after the former St Johnstone star went on to play alongside Russell Latapy and John Hughes at Falkirk.

Craig, who signed a pre-contract to join Hibs in January, had no hesitation when the opportunity to follow in the footsteps of the Hibs trio presented itself.

He said: “I’m from the Borders and there is a massive pull for Hibs from that area. I’ve always known it was a huge club and my mind was made up when they came in for me.

“I remember watching Hibs when I was younger and John Collins was probably the main player who stood out. He’s a Borders man himself and, of course, moved on to Celtic after starting his career at Hibs.

“I will always remember him scoring against Brazil at France 98. I was also at Falkirk with Russell Latapy and Yogi, so I’ve played with guys who have pulled on the Hibs strip.

“You just have to look about the walls of the Hibs training ground to see all the top players. When the chance came to sign I knew it was a move that would enhance my career and help me progress.

“I was happy at St Johnstone but when Hibs came in I felt it was the right move for me. It’s great to be here.

“It’s been six months since the contract was signed but I was happy with the way I finished the season with St Johnstone.

“I was glad it was a short summer for Hibs and it was great to come in and meet the manager and staff.”

McPake is dreadful, I've no idea why so many seem to rate him. If we had to take any hibs defender it would be Hanlon, and evens he's poor

He has had a bad spell with injuries in the last few seasons, but he is far from dreadful. Like any player a run of games in a confident side with a stable partner at the back would change most people's opinions on him. Look no further than Steven Anderson, he was slated by a lot of Saints fans for years.

Hanlon clearly showed in his loan time with us he has ability, again a bit of confidence and he'd regain form.

He has had a bad spell with injuries in the last few seasons, but he is far from dreadful. Like any player a run of games in a confident side with a stable partner at the back would change most people's opinions on him. Look no further than Steven Anderson, he was slated by a lot of Saints fans for years.

Hanlon clearly showed in his loan time with us he has ability, again a bit of confidence and he'd regain form.

The injuries have ruined McPake completely, he might prove me wrong, but I don't think he was ever that good to start with, now he's virtually crippld he's firmly in the "must avoid" category.

Hanlons very much a "Wotherspoon", in that hes been at Hibs too long and the rots set in. He'll possibly move and achieve something, but hes never seemed to have a defined position and will likely play back up for the rest of his career. Shame as he looked talented a long while back

Totally with RandomGuy on this.

Reading this thread has really made me quite sad and disappointed in my fellow Saints fans.

Why? Because there's an element that have become football snobs. The sort of fans we've resented and slagged for decades. I sincerely hope it's not because we've had a bit of success recently. But reading one or two of the comments, it clearly is.

Let's get something straight here - we're St Johnstone FC. I never thought I'd read or hear Saints fans talking bout us being too good for players that obviously have a bit of talent.

Now to Liam Craig. If I was him, reading this thread, I'd feel a fair amount of anger and disappointment. As a player, he gave us everything he had for six years. Yeah, we've created some legends this season, but for me, I'd put Liam in the same bracket as without him and one or two others, we would be nowhere near where we are now.

So what he left? He left in a dignified manner for honourable reasons. It was the club he supported and he was thinking of his family. Just like his time with us he was upfront and honest and continued to give his all. For a Saints player I can't ask for anymore than that.

So things ain't worked out for him, would I take him back? Too bloody right I would. He's exactly the type of player we're looking for. And when things don't go for him creativity wise, he won't hide, he'll put in a shift.

To even suggest he's past it is ridiculous. Short of confidence more than likely, but that can be repaired. The talent is still there, the passing, the determination, the drive are attributes we need bucket loads.

So come on, wake up and get a dose of reality - he'll be like the prodigal son returning and I, and I hope all of us, would welcome back a true club legend.

Same old WAP , twats moaning about other twats who dare to voice their opinion . I couldn't give a flying **** if Liam left for more money . He ****ed up , it happens. He was getting stale at Saints and the PCA revitalised him for that last half a season , it was the right time for him to go . If (and it is a big if) Tommy wants him then i'll support it but if Tommy doesn't see Liam as the solution to the left sided problems and has better options , then that'll do for me .

From what I heard the contract extension Saints made him was not great, he asked for longer to consider it and Saints refused and withdrew the offer. 

He then looked else where and you can't blame him.

Liam was nothing but loyal to Saints in his time here. A great player, 100% commitment and excellent attitude.

Apparently Courier & Scotsman suggesting Liam is Saints bound:

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/rumour-mill-hibs-clear-out-hamilton-celtic-1-3423062

But then Hootsman can't even spell our club name properly despite winning Scottish Cup (still find that a joy to write!!!) only last week?!?!

Apparently Courier & Scotsman suggesting Liam is Saints bound:

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/rumour-mill-hibs-clear-out-hamilton-celtic-1-3423062

But then Hootsman can't even spell our club name properly despite winning Scottish Cup (still find that a joy to write!!!) only last week?!?!

Really Scotsman?! Meant to be a high brow newspaper, and treat the Scottish Cup Winners with such disdain that you can't be bothered to spell our name correctly.

Are they just bitter that Edinburgh is no longer a football city? No top flight teams!!

Anyway, a few papers speculating that Liam will re-sign.

Not sure if I agree, but In Tommy We Trust