Spartak Trnava

Cleveland-Saint

Can anyone put some light on any coverage for the home tie next week in Perth for those of us unfortunate enough to be on holiday.

I'm stuck in the lovely Algarve ( no tears please ) and would be grateful if anyone can suggest a feed. Not relying on BBC Scotland for anything.

Can anyone put some light on any coverage for the home tie next week in Perth for those of us unfortunate enough to be on holiday.

I'm stuck in the lovely Algarve ( no tears please ) and would be grateful if anyone can suggest a feed. Not relying on BBC Scotland for anything.

With Aberdeen being in action I wouldn't expect more than "updates" from the game in Perth.

----------------

Latest plan is to buy a Quadricopter and fly it over McDiarmid to try and snap a few live pictures of the game in the hope of learning what's going on, whilst alternately dropping eggs on the heads of the fat and happy BBC media crew in the crowd.

We hope to try to wake them up to their job instead of lounging around, enjoying their free tickets while stuffing pies and crisps.

Outside of this plan, it will be probably be WAP, (hopefully Sheffield Saint has a good signal) and Sleepless will find us some European feed that will jump around with fast changing, highly inaccurate scores throughout the game. Should be fun  :shock:

Edited by Texas-Saint

Maryburgh Saint and myself booked in Hotel Eminent in Zlate Moravce at £30 a room each.

There are trains from Bratislava to Zlate Moravce - see the slovakian railways web site at www.slovakrail.sk - you can change it to English. Couple of suitable trains out to the game but limited options the morning after with only two departures in the morning at 0513, arriving Bratislava 0733 with one change required and then at 0617, changing again to arrive Bratislava at 0836

3 of us booked in there tues-friday.

We thought about it and decided local is better. Might be a wee town, but at least the locals will be grateful you are staying in their town, should make for a friendly atmosphere.

http://www.booking.com/searchresults.html?src=city&nflt=&ss_raw=&city=-847542&error_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.booking.com%2Fcity%2Fsk%2Fzlate-moravce.en-gb.html%3Faid%3D357028%3Blabel%3Dbin859jc-city-XX-sk-zlateNmoravce-nobrand-gb-com-L%253Aen-O%253Aunk-B%253Aunk-N%253AXX-S%253Abo%3Bsid%3D98a2b131422256547aef0da62883857c%3Bdcid%3D1%3Bflgrid%3D0%3Bflt%3D0%3Binac%3D0%3B&aid=357028&dcid=1&label=bin859jc-city-XX-sk-zlateNmoravce-nobrand-gb-com-L%3Aen-O%3Aunk-B%3Aunk-N%3AXX-S%3Abo&sid=98a2b131422256547aef0da62883857c&checkin_monthday=5&checkin_year_month=2014-8&checkout_monthday=8&checkout_year_month=2014-8&interval_of_time=any&flex_checkin_year_month=any&=2&no_rooms=1&group_adults=2&group_children=0

Edited by wee john

radical idea.....

for all those folk flying to Bratislava, Vienna or wherever, and wondering how to get to the stadium, how about hiring a car? Be aware of cultural differences as the folk there are known for looking miserable, they don't as a rule smile at strangers even if you smile at them, even more so if your team beats them!

I've just fired off a request for a qoute to a couple of bus compainies for Bratislava to Zlate Moravce and back on the day of the game. I'll let  you know what they come back with.

I have had one reply so far, waiting for others but will give then til Monday. I have staerted a new thread with details so, anyone interested, in taking the bus, please PM me

This mob won't be a pushover . Going by the prediction thread most think we will trounce them . I'll be happy if we go through 1-0 .

Agree wholeheartedly with that. If we're very lucky they might be at the level of FC Minsk from last season. However, I expect them to be better than that.

If we can take a 1-0 over to Slovakia we'll be doing very well and will have put ourselves in a good position where an away goal would almost certainly be enough.

Big night on Thursday.

Hi 

I am Richard, I live in Slovakia and I see that the Saints are coming to Slovakia a week on Thursday.

I thought I'd give you a few heads up about the match, stadium and the Spartak fans. I hope this helps.

Trnava is about 40 minutes to an our from Bratislava by Train. It is one of the larger football teams in Slovakia, the other being Slovan Bratislava. 

They have absolutely mental supporters who if they feel like a fight will give you one but they reserve this mostly for Slovan Bratislava, still it makes sense to be careful while you are in Trnava.

Trnava is called the Slovak Rome because it is full of Cathedrals.

The Stadium is close to the bus and train stations and the centre and is easy enough to find once you get in there. It is big and the fans are noisy when they are up for it so there should be a good atmosphere. 

To get to Trnava from Bratislava is relatively easy.

Flying into Bratislava is the easiest but with bloody ryanair not the cheapest as I can see. If you DO fly into Bratislava then there is an airport bus that takes you directly to the main train station and you can go on from there to Trnava but if I were you I would then change for the bus station and get bus number 210. They are up on huge boards and you'll need to buy another ticket from the little machines but they are in English so don't worry.

http://imhd.zoznam.sk/ba/planovac-cesty-vyhladanie-spojenia.html?spojenieodkial=Bratislava+hlavn%C3%A1+stanica&z1k=z105426&spojeniekam=Autobusov%C3%A1+stanica&z2k=z27

By Train it is more expensive than by Bus. You will need to go to the main bus station or main train station to get there. The word for main in Slovak is Hlavni.

I would strongly recommend the bus as it will be about 3 or 4 Euros.

If you are flying to another airport then Budapest, Vienna, Prague or if you can get to it, Brno in the Czech Republic.

Don't stay in Bratislava if you can manage it as that town is a total rip off for everything and it is not that nice if I am honest. A big office with a small old town with massively over priced bars.

If you are staying there then the night of the game the last train back to Bratislava is at 22:35. Miss that and you're stuck so an over night stay in Trnava is probably a must unless you have alternative arrangements.

. If anyone is planning on staying until the weekend then I would recommend moving to Nitra for a day or two. I know some very cheap accommodation there and it is around 1 hour on the bus to Bratislava.

The bars and restaurants are far cheaper outside of Bratislava and the taxi drivers don't take the piss in the same way.

I may even go to the game if I can manage it. I won't have much work and can make it along but I need to watch for buses or stay the night in Trnava. If anyone is staying it would be nice to meet with fellow Scots and take in the football. 

Be warned though, the last match I went to in Slovakia saw the game abandoned because some nutter chucked a pint at a ref and then ran on the park to deck him because he sent off a player for the home team.

Hooliganism is not rife here and it is unlikely you'll get any trouble but like anything else you need to be careful.

Slovak football is not strong. Spartak were almost relegated two years ago. They survived by the fact that there were two far worse teams below them and now they have got it together slightly better.

They finished miles behind Slovan for the title.

St Johnstone can win this tie but they must be at their best in both legs. Slovak teams are notoriously bad in European football often ( a bit like Scottish teams). I think this will be close.

As I say if anyone needs any help feel free to contact me and if anyone wants to meet up the week of the game I am available to help out.

Let me know and all the best,

Richard 

Hi

I am Richard, I live in Slovakia and I see that the Saints are coming to Slovakia a week on Thursday.

I thought I'd give you a few heads up about the match, stadium and the Spartak fans. I hope this helps.

Trnava is about 40 minutes to an our from Bratislava by Train. It is one of the larger football teams in Slovakia, the other being Slovan Bratislava.

They have absolutely mental supporters who if they feel like a fight will give you one but they reserve this mostly for Slovan Bratislava, still it makes sense to be careful while you are in Trnava.

Trnava is called the Slovak Rome because it is full of Cathedrals.

The Stadium is close to the bus and train stations and the centre and is easy enough to find once you get in there. It is big and the fans are noisy when they are up for it so there should be a good atmosphere.

To get to Trnava from Bratislava is relatively easy.

Flying into Bratislava is the easiest but with bloody ryanair not the cheapest as I can see. If you DO fly into Bratislava then there is an airport bus that takes you directly to the main train station and you can go on from there to Trnava but if I were you I would then change for the bus station and get bus number 210. They are up on huge boards and you'll need to buy another ticket from the little machines but they are in English so don't worry.

http://imhd.zoznam.sk/ba/planovac-cesty-vyhladanie-spojenia.html?spojenieodkial=Bratislava+hlavn%C3%A1+stanica&z1k=z105426&spojeniekam=Autobusov%C3%A1+stanica&z2k=z27

By Train it is more expensive than by Bus. You will need to go to the main bus station or main train station to get there. The word for main in Slovak is Hlavni.

I would strongly recommend the bus as it will be about 3 or 4 Euros.

If you are flying to another airport then Budapest, Vienna, Prague or if you can get to it, Brno in the Czech Republic.

Don't stay in Bratislava if you can manage it as that town is a total rip off for everything and it is not that nice if I am honest. A big office with a small old town with massively over priced bars.

If you are staying there then the night of the game the last train back to Bratislava is at 22:35. Miss that and you're stuck so an over night stay in Trnava is probably a must unless you have alternative arrangements.

. If anyone is planning on staying until the weekend then I would recommend moving to Nitra for a day or two. I know some very cheap accommodation there and it is around 1 hour on the bus to Bratislava.

The bars and restaurants are far cheaper outside of Bratislava and the taxi drivers don't take the piss in the same way.

I may even go to the game if I can manage it. I won't have much work and can make it along but I need to watch for buses or stay the night in Trnava. If anyone is staying it would be nice to meet with fellow Scots and take in the football.

Be warned though, the last match I went to in Slovakia saw the game abandoned because some nutter chucked a pint at a ref and then ran on the park to deck him because he sent off a player for the home team.

Hooliganism is not rife here and it is unlikely you'll get any trouble but like anything else you need to be careful.

Slovak football is not strong. Spartak were almost relegated two years ago. They survived by the fact that there were two far worse teams below them and now they have got it together slightly better.

They finished miles behind Slovan for the title.

St Johnstone can win this tie but they must be at their best in both legs. Slovak teams are notoriously bad in European football often ( a bit like Scottish teams). I think this will be close.

As I say if anyone needs any help feel free to contact me and if anyone wants to meet up the week of the game I am available to help out.

Let me know and all the best,

Richard

Thanks for the info, games being played in Zlate Morache, any info regarding there?

Zlate Moravce is a tiny wee place. I've only passed through it on a bus but it will doubtless be rather cheap but there is not much of anything there.

If that is where the game is to be played then I would recommend staying in Nitra and making the journey by bus from there because you'll save money and have as good a time as you would in Bratislava.

Nitra has loads of hotels but they also have this place to stay - http://www.ubytovanienitran.sk/

It is very cheap and pretty basic but it is in the middle of the town and a good place if people want to spend less money than in Bratislava.

The only problem is getting back from Zlate Moravce. The last bus to Nitra is at 21:05. The last bus to Bratislava is at the same time so getting out of Zlate Moravce is going to be an issue unless you have a car or a bus.

You can stay at this place - http://www.byron.sk/page.php in the town or http://www.gazdovskyhostinec.sk/ which is a little further out but close enough. The hotels don't look all that cheap to me.

If I were you I'd book to stay in Nitra and hire a car as it is the closest big town.

Thank you for your detailed input. This is most helpful as there is little info available about ZM.

Is the Yellow Express (Zlty expres) the best way of travelling from Bratislava to Nitra? Also, I understand that the Yellow Express does may make a couple of stops at Zlate Moravce but as this is a long-distance bus service, it may not be able to take many fans at any one time. Is there another bus company operating on the ZM / Nitra route to Bratislava?

Nitra is bigger than Trnava and has a good selection of accommodation, restaurants and pubs. It might also be a safer place to celebrate a Saints' victory than Trnava or Bratislava.

The Spartak website archive dated 20 July seems to indicate that tickets for the Zestafoni match went ofn sale first in Trnava before tickets were then sent to the stadium at Z M. Would Saints fans be able to purchase tickets in Z M on the day of the match?

Thank you in advance for any information you can supply.