Saints Development League Thread

lethamsaintee

It means they'd be paying £750 as Peterhead signed one of the guys.

I'd imagine they'll be paying at least a portion of the wages to be honest. Whether that amounts to much is an entirely different story.

Whatever they are paying it certainly won't help Tommy's budget.

I read recently that many top league Scottish players, as in first team squad members, are in the 20 - 40 grand bracket. an awful lot of you earn more than the laddies you watch play. Not making any kind of point here, just saying.

I'd be very surprised to see first team regulars on anything like 20k unless they have just broken through but usually if players perform they are rewarded with a first team deal.

£30-60k is probably a more accurate figure for clubs like ours. Could probably say £50-120k for clubs like Aberdeen (maybe Hearts, not sure what the deal is there these days but considering their crowd size...)

Even going back to Stevie May it's easy to forget he wasn't even meant to play against Rosenborg that night. I often wonder how things might have panned out if Midge had been fit......

And Lomas was getting the same abuse for doing the same.....all be it in loan deals but May was still progressing.

Jordan Millar has joined Montrose for the season and Jason Kerr has joined East Fife until January - both on development loans.

We won't have any players left to play for under 19s. Have to agree with giving the young guys a chance to play real football to see how they progress & help pay wages.

Do we actually play in developement league ? Did we not lose developement league status ?.

The development loans mean they are free for the U20's games but not sure who has first pick of them if both have a game on the same night.

I'd guess the loan club would take priority.

Tommy confirmed that they'll still be training with us, so the coaching staff will get to see their progress first hand.

http://perthsaints.co.uk/newsitemsdetail.php?param=3672

Very interesting article/interview just appeared on the Saints website which I think demonstrates how seriously we're taking youth development and how well resourced the youth academy is. The Academy has a dedicated sports scientist who seems to have given all the players their own program to work on.

Definitely worth a read if you've got a spare five minutes. Good to see the club picking up local youngsters too. We dropped the ball in the past a bit, losing out on Wotherspoon, Gordon and Shepherd (who's currently at Falkirk) but we seem to have sorted ourselves out a bit now.

• 2 weeks later...