Admission Prices

shiresaint

Just noticed the article on the website with the admission prices for Saturday being £22/£23 for East/West. Been a couple of years since I have had to pay at the turnstiles but from memory this is less than it used to be. Did I miss something or is my memory failing me? Fair play to the club if they have reduced prices!!

Disgraceful prices.

I realise that most clubs charge these prices, but there is not getting away from the fact that £22 for an hour and a halfs 'entertainment' is absolute scandalous price.

Scottish football is far too expensive. It's not like we're paying to see a Miguel, Dino or Sergie

What in your opinion would be a realistic price for SPL games ?

In an ideal world £10 for adults and £5 for concessions, however I am realistic enough to know that will never happen.

If you step back from your love of St Johnstone, do you really think that paying £22 is correct? At a lot of grounds us, the supporters, get treated with utter disdain by the Police and Stewards. We are not trusted to have an alcoholic beverage, although if you put a suit on and pay £150 for the privellege, you can sit in the stadium and drink until you fall over. Despite Ladbrokes sponsoring the league, at most of the grounds you are not allowed to place a bet. For vast parts of the season we have to sit in freezing cold stadiums, then have to pay riduclous prices to purchase food or drink that taste like it was prepared by a two year old. On top of paying out all this money, clubs also want us to pay £40 to purchase their replica tops, that costs pennys to be made in the Far East.

Football clubs have supporters over a barrel, because they know that the vast majority of us are "addicts" and will pay these silly prices.

Edited by Aitchy

It's an interesting argument to be fair. Do we continue to charge £22, knowing it will put some off and we will only ever get the core support we get currently or do we hedge our bets and charge £15. We might a few hundred extra through the turnstiles but with the additional cost of stewarding etc we might be no better off. I would like to think the club have done their sums on this!

Been to a fair number of international and league games in different parts of Europe and don't think I've ever spent more than 15 quid to get in. And this has generally been to see teams much better than Saints or anybody else in this country.

Even when you take away the novelty factor of being in a different country and going to see different teams, it has always been an infinitely better experience than any match-day in Scotland - especially when you see the effort put in by the clubs to create 'fanzones' before the games, and the work that's done to make each match feel like a real occasion and a big deal. It always feels like I've found a right bargain when I go to a game abroad and the ticket costs less than at Saints, and I would happily pay more for the pleasure, but that's all because we're so used to being bent over and screwed with match pricing in this country.

The reality of it is that paying £20+ for Scottish football is not going to change any time soon, and I'm not suggesting that we reduce ticket prices (because that obviously then impacts on the squad budget etc) but it's time that the clubs started to make the day out at the football worth the price tag that they've slapped on it, and not just 90mins of shouting in the cold with 15mins of queuing for a cold pie in between.

(...cue yet another 'matchday experience' thread with loads of great ideas that will never be listened to or taken forward by any club in the country.)

It's an interesting argument to be fair. Do we continue to charge £22, knowing it will put some off and we will only ever get the core support we get currently or do we hedge our bets and charge £15. We might a few hundred extra through the turnstiles but with the additional cost of stewarding etc we might be no better off. I would like to think the club have done their sums on this!

We'd need over a thousand more through the gates at £15 to break even to the £22 price, I'm confident we'd not get that many more

Realistically there's not much more the club can do on this subject, they had bring 2 pals for 20 quid last season an it never set the heather on fire. And people talking about 2.30 for a pie... Just be thankful there's still pies left! 

Depends on the pies I reckon :)

I love this wee club, but with many commitments in my life, I simply cannot afford £100 or more a month to go to games, once you factor in travel and parking.  I really really miss going to games, but I am left with no choice.  It is absolutely not St Johnstone's fault though, but the state of football worldwide that makes it so expensive.

What in your opinion would be a realistic price for SPL games ?

I appreciate where you coming from - ish......

£22 is at the top end but it is far from extortion for a live, dare I say elite(it is the premier league of Scottish football although that is all relative to world football)...

I recently bought tickets for a theatre show at the Dundee rep, £21 plus a £1.50 transaction fee for online, phone bookings and over the counter bookings when using a credit or debit card. So £22.50 for 90 mins of theatre....

I also bought three tickets for the Edinburgh festival for this coming weekend. I will see three (decent in my opinion, but very average to others) comedy shows(*** Key, Stewart Lee and Alex Horne), each show under 1 hour and, including booking fees I will have paid £45...               Again this will mean about £22 per hour of entertainment...

Time to follow the German club prices - Seem really cheap but standard is first class and the crowds are there too.

In Germany they have their own Sky channel which pays lots of Euros to the FA who in turn distribute it on a fair basis to all clubs.Also most clubs are multi-sports clubs with community use so the importance of match prices is much less compared to ours.When the German model was introduced it was an instant success as it was rolled out country-wide.Sadly for the reasons stated it cant work here unless player salaries are slashed.

It's difficult to compare football and theatre.  You tend to go to football every second week, more if you go to away games.  Most folk will go to the theatre 3 or 4 times a year, if that.

If on there was a method whereby you could pay a lump some at the start of the season which meant you could attend two matches per month for a significantly lower rate than paying at the gate for each individual ticket  each week...Hmmmm