Aberdeen v Saints 3rd Oct

The ghost of Jim Morton

Fair bet both sides will score. Anything from 2 nil Sheep to 2 nil Recent Conquerers of the Most Successful Team in the World Ever Ever Ever God Save the Queen Saintees.

Who are you referring to as the "Most Successful Team in the World Ever Ever Ever God Save the Queen"

Sounds like they liquidated in 2012 and you merely beat a diddy team from the lower leagues :wink:

Edited by IveSeenTheLight

In what way?

don't go there!  But don't be surprised if it was less than 100 visiting fans.... but WE all notice how dire your hospitality was last season, and I cant help but think it's cos we dumped you at the Semi final of the Scottish cup the year prior.. I'm guessing some will not travel due to the management (treatment) of fans on our last two visits.

I hope the Haar stays away, was flying in off the sea near Stonehaven yesterday at 4pm! Very poor visibility on the road.

don't go there!  But don't be surprised if it was less than 100 visiting fans.... but WE all notice how dire your hospitality was last season, and I cant help but think it's cos we dumped you at the Semi final of the Scottish cup the year prior.. I'm guessing some will not travel due to the management (treatment) of fans on our last two visits.

I hope the Haar stays away, was flying in off the sea near Stonehaven yesterday at 4pm! Very poor visibility on the road.

The haar is pretty bad this morning and evening, not sure of the weather forecast for Saturday.

By hospitality, do you mean you weren't in the away end? I'm genuinely interested to know what the issue.

I was at the game also in the South Stand just along from the away end and can;t recall anything of note. I just remember it being a pretty dour end of season game where we thought your goal came from an offside position but actually was a very good worked goal.

I'm guessing some will not travel due to the management (treatment) of fans on our last two visits.

What does the club do to manage the fans, it's generally outsourced to G4S and the police.

Certainly the Dons fans also complain enough about Police Scotland (apparently there was mounted police for the midweek Hamilton game where there was only 20 away fans). They really seemed to up the manning after the Rangers v Hearts fiasco last season.

I was at the 5-0 game back in 1990. Strange afternoon that one. Didn't see it coming at all. Not sure how much truth there ever was in the alleged activity on the coach coming down the road!

Also slightly surprised at the stats but we have had some pretty horrendous years of form in the last couple of decades so maybe not that shocking. 

I'm going 1-0 us too. We have, rather alarmingly, become masters at 'managing' 1-0 victories. It's not good for the heart or the TV highlights but its 3 points in the bag so can't really complain.

I was at the 5-0 game back in 1990. Strange afternoon that one. Didn't see it coming at all. Not sure how much truth there ever was in the alleged activity on the coach coming down the road!

The alleged rumours was that Gillhous turned up extremely late and McLeish had a rant at him and allegedly Smith.

The rumour went on that McLeish insisted that if gillhouse played that game, then he would not.

McLeish then pulled up in the warm up.

The rumour also mentioned that Bett was involved.

Pity as it turned out we had a great opportunity to win the league that year and to feck it up with stupid infighting in a game seems ludicrous.

The alleged rumours was that Gillhous turned up extremely late and McLeish had a rant at him and allegedly Smith.

The rumour went on that McLeish insisted that if gillhouse played that game, then he would not.

McLeish then pulled up in the warm up.

The rumour also mentioned that Bett was involved.

Pity as it turned out we had a great opportunity to win the league that year and to feck it up with stupid infighting in a game seems ludicrous.

Over the years I've heard quite a different version of that story - wasn't aware of this one.

That 5-0 game is one of my earliest football memories. Aberdeen were an incredible team at the time, and I guess it's hard to put the significance of that result into context for those who weren't around then.

Over the years I've heard quite a different version of that story - wasn't aware of this one.

That 5-0 game is one of my earliest football memories. Aberdeen were an incredible team at the time, and I guess it's hard to put the significance of that result into context for those who weren't around then.

I think the bbc commentator said it was 5 breakaways.

I will take that on saturday.

What does the club do to manage the fans, it's generally outsourced to G4S and the police.

Certainly the Dons fans also complain enough about Police Scotland (apparently there was mounted police for the midweek Hamilton game where there was only 20 away fans). They really seemed to up the manning after the Rangers v Hearts fiasco last season.

Doesn't matter what role the club specifically plays to be honest, if the 'matchday experience' is shite then away fans will not bother to make the trip. It really really is that simple.

Saying "it's outsourced" is not an argument, it all works towards the reputation and perception of the club. Whether problems like heavy handed policing, incompetent stewarding, or even rude pie sellers are directly managed by the club or by an external company, it makes no difference, it all contributes to the away fans' perception of the home club, and the number of travelling fans will directly reflect this.

The last trip to Todders was an total shambles from a Saints point of view and I for one am questioning whether it's worth making the trip or not - and I live far closer to the ground than most on here.

Every aspect of match day is down to the club. It's their event and therefore their responsibility, their safety officer, they engage the stewards, they employ the staff. They meet with the police, stewards and the away club's safety officer a few days before each match. Police do what they do at any public gathering, they police. The club are still responsible for the event. If some stewards say you must sit in the seat allocated and some say sit anywhere this is the club's responsibility, not the stewards. It's a failure of communication on behalf of the club that underlies all of that type of thing. I won't get started on Aberdeen as I could be here for a while. Then I'd have to mention the away facilities.