STRIP SUPPLIERS OF DAYS GONE BY

mainstand

There has certainly been a lot of talk about the new strip but what about a light hearted stroll down memory lane of your experiences. What are your memories of strips and more importantly strip suppliers of years gone by. I wonder what WAP would have been like back in the days when we had strip suppliers like XARA, 1884, BUKTA, Admiral.

The worst one had to be Xara. For those of us that are old enough and have supported Saints for many years the fact that saints are going to be selling strips prior to xmas is a massive improvement on the old XARA contract,

I remember having to go via the town on the Saturday on xmas eve as the strips had only just been released from customs having been imported from Egypt.

Xara were bad but Surridge were worse. Their stuff was all incredibly bad in fit and quality. The "Saints Collection" era gave us our teal and magenta kit which remains easily my favourite Saints shirt of all time. Wish Saints would do something a bit more adventurous with the away strips these days - other than the first red and black Eses tribute shirt which was a great idea, the alternating yellow and white efforts have all been incredibly boring.

Xara were bad but Surridge were worse. Their stuff was all incredibly bad in fit and quality. The "Saints Collection" era gave us our teal and magenta kit which remains easily my favourite Saints shirt of all time. Wish Saints would do something a bit more adventurous with the away strips these days - other than the first red and black Eses tribute shirt which was a great idea, the alternating yellow and white efforts have all been incredibly boring.

Yep the saints collection stuff was done by the same guy that did the Xara kit. It was bad.

Wish Saints would do something a bit more adventurous with the away strips these days - other than the first red and black Eses tribute shirt which was a great idea, the alternating yellow and white efforts have all been incredibly boring.

We have had a couple of different away shirts - the Maroon 'historical' strip and last seasons effort was also a look back at the past. Was the black top an away top or third strip?

Also lets not forget our baby blue away efforts.

Must have been 98 to cash in on the world cup

Nah, I reckon it was definitely later than that - I'd put it around 2002-2005ish. It was done over the course of a few seasons, and I seem to remember the sales were reportedly excellent as Asda put the strips right at the front of the shop and sold them for £25.

My very first top circa 73 ish was a blue v neck Umbro i think

I bought it from St.Johnstone Aid Club in Methven street days when replica tops were practically unheard of ( At smaller teams anyway 

I had to use my Berry money to pay for it ( Thats going get under 30s wondering )

It had a sewn on Lamb badge if memory serves me right and after a few years and many many a spin on the washing machine the badge began to fall off to reveal an Everton badge underneath. 

Worst kits were the Surridge, every single one of them!

Reckon last season's kit will go down as a classic - Invest in Perth - has the same cache as Famous Grouse given it's a local name (oor wee toon).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ST JOHNSTONE  KITS ON SALE >>>>  https://bitly.com/stjohnstone-clearance
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/St_Johnstone/St_Johnstone.htm

There you go all the old kit umbro followed by matchwinner bukta then saints collection xara surridge and finally joma

And just for Blue heaven surprisingly few years of white socks. But God they red socks were the worst.

Edited by mainstand

We should have a full red away kit. If it is anything other than that this year then the board need to resign! :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ST JOHNSTONE  KITS ON SALE >>>>  https://bitly.com/stjohnstone-clearance
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------