Saints v Motherwell 17/12/16

The ghost of Jim Morton

How we never won that is beyond me.  By far the better team, by miles  and phucking miles.  I thought we played  well apart from our  final ball and crucially, our finishing, which was  just pish mostly. A few  poor  poor decisions made by Saints players at vital moments.  If we played that game 100 times, we would  win the other 99..

It's another point though...   COYS

Good second-half and good comeback. Should have won the game though - Alston's chance and Spoonys at the end as well as Muzz and Scobbies headers. Thought the whole team played pretty well but too often took an extra touch and were closed down too easily.

As for Well McDonalds antics were a disgrace and they were lucky not to see a couple of red cards.

We were OK first half and pretty good second half. If Zander doesn't make that mistake it turns into as easy a win as you'll ever see. Motherwell were rotten. 

With Millar and Muzz on the park our possession is much much better and it showed as we totally dominated. Defence also did well and both strikers put a shift in with Kanes touch improving immensely. Lots of good crosses into the box and some good headed opportunities passed up with MacLean and Davidson most guilty of misses. 

Second half both Alston and Spoony should have put the game to bed but lacked composure but both had good games, especially Spoony. 

Edited by Broon

Good second-half and good comeback. Should have won the game though - Alston's chance and Spoonys at the end as well as Muzz and Scobbies headers. Thought the whole team played pretty well but too often took an extra touch and were closed down too easily.

As for Well McDonalds antics were a disgrace and they were lucky not to see a couple of red cards.

The Kung Fu Kid could hae taken lessons fae that hack the day.

Were there many arrests ?

Dunno but the wee Motherwell neds  were hanging about Morrisons around 2pm while i was in getting things for my work, one of them asked a local laddie where tae find the Perth mob, the lad replied "No in fecking Morrisons anyway" and walked off pishing himself laughing ! 

BBC stats say Well had 1 shot on target. I don't remember it.

McDonald is an old pro & knows how to draw fouls. Well are poor but without him they would probably end up in relegation fight,

Moult is getting touted for a move south but without his elbows its doubtful if he would win any headers.

Muzz wasn't at his best today & it may have been because Midge was back & Muzz was trying to find him instead of being more direct. Could have had a hatrick of headers.

I can only repeat what others have said. We started off brightly, before being hit by a sucker punch. We had been passing the ball around unusually well (in comparison to many of our recent home performances) and there was a decent pace to our general play. Having said that, we were obviously lacking the additional incisiveness which Danny Swanson tends to provide.

Zander Clark has to take the blame for Motherwell's goal. It was an uncharacteristic error. However, I daresay that many Saints fans would absolutely slaughter Alan Mannus if he made a similar mistake.

Following Motherwell's goal, our confidence seemed to take a knock. The game disintegrated into a scrappier affair. Chris Kane eventually reaped the rewards for his hard-working performance and we were revitalised from that point onwards. We could have won the match. I'm not really a fan of two particular footballing cliches: 'better team' and 'deserved to win'. The 'better team' is the team which scores most goals. The 'most deserving team' is the team which scores most goals. We weren't the better team today, but we were certainly the dominant side.

Like others, I feel that Blair Alston's recent form merits a starting place. I reckon that he offers more than Michael Coulson.

It's a shame that we didn't take full advantage of Aberdeen and Hearts dropping points. At the same time, it's good that we're now a point closer to Aberdeen and it's good that we haven't fallen further behind Hearts. A frustrating afternoon, but there's also plenty to be positive about.

Should have won. Plenty of positives, just some poor/unlucky finishing let us down.  Midge being back made a difference.  Scobbie played well, given it's his first start in god knows how long.  Spoony played well  too. 

Edited by jhq