Top Six Race 2021

garydavidson

3 hours ago, Johnny B said:

It may all be in vein Queen Nicola may call an end to season now after the celebrations in Glasgow. And the same fans going to do the same at the old firm game

Don't think she wants to call the season but is considering putting a stop to the remaining OF games.  Not a bad idea since it would underline where the problem with Scottish football lies.

Could be legal problems with the SPFL's TV contract and Celtic would have something to say if they can't hold on to 2nd spot having played 2 games less than Hibs.  Alternative would be a heavy police presence on the match days.  Are the Black Watch doing anything at the moment?

2 hours ago, south inch said:

Don't think she wants to call the season but is considering putting a stop to the remaining OF games.  Not a bad idea since it would underline where the problem with Scottish football lies.

Could be legal problems with the SPFL's TV contract and Celtic would have something to say if they can't hold on to 2nd spot having played 2 games less than Hibs.  Alternative would be a heavy police presence on the match days.  Are the Black Watch doing anything at the moment?

Hibs would need to win all the games and Celtic lose theirs to cause any issues over second place, 

Celtic 16 ahead of Hibs with Hibs having 21 points to play for.  

16 hours ago, mainstand said:

Hibs would need to win all the games and Celtic lose theirs to cause any issues over second place, 

Celtic 16 ahead of Hibs with Hibs having 21 points to play for.  

Personally could not care less where Celtic finish but have to say my Celtic supporting friends are not over confident!

On 3/3/2021 at 8:38 PM, Templar Saint said:

Not to fussed this year about top six.

With no spectators then the only additional income is place money .

The difference between 6th and 7th last year was £130,000.

As others have said out of that there would be bonuses to be paid to the playing staff and management so probably not such a big difference in the end.

Get 7th and put The Arabs back in their place as second top team in Tayside.

£130 grand is big money for Saints even allowing for bonuses.

If we make top 6 there is no saying we can't get 5th.

There would also be more PPV  money for our 3 home game.

We also don't have to look over our shoulder.

So a lot of plusses but unfortunately a lot of ifs  guys & maybes.

Given the form of the top 6, vs bottom 6 I think we'd actually do better in the top 6!

Livi, Celtic, Hibs & Aberdeen are all going through bad patches. Rangers might not be too bothered, as they will focus on Europe and perhaps put out weakened sides. The bottom 6 on the other hand are 4 clubs fighting for their lives, and some - like Motherwell & Ross County - have had better form than some in the top 6 recently.

If we win on Saturday  we will be safe from relegation barring a +25 goal swing over the five games and losing all our remaining games (4 more points and we are safe). Even if we are bottom 6 it should be a relatively relaxed run in allowing some experimentation.

8 hours ago, Smarmy Arab said:

Why not play the old firm game in Aberdeen? Flash point avoided.

I would probably rather Saints stayed in the bottom 6, they are one of better sides in the division more likely to beat the bottom 3 keeping Utd safe.  Plus would like to pump yous at least once this season!

That remains to be seen but all going well lets hope we can get fans back at games next year; missing out on going to Tannadice on opening day and having a packed stand of expectant Terrors at McD has been sadly missed.

11 hours ago, Smarmy Arab said:

I would probably rather Saints stayed in the bottom 6, they are one of better sides in the division more likely to beat the bottom 3 keeping Utd safe.  Plus would like to pump yous at least once this season!

I think there might be one or two old firm fans in Aberdeen:D 

12 hours ago, Smarmy Arab said:

Or hold it at a completely secret location? Just play it somewhere without telling anyone where it's happening. I suppose the risk of leaks would be high though.

Personally I'm not in favour of cancelling individual games. I don't really understand how the league table can work once that starts happening.

59 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Or hold it at a completely secret location? Just play it somewhere without telling anyone where it's happening. I suppose the risk of leaks would be high though.

Personally I'm not in favour of cancelling individual games. I don't really understand how the league table can work once that starts happening.

I'd play at 8am kick off in the morning; most their followers have never seen that time of the morning in their puff.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

Its the result that will cause any problem not the location of the games.  I agree with you about the problems attached to cancelling individual games but in this instance 1st and 2nd are pretty well nailed on.  Cancel both games and let the trouble makers within both sets of supporters stew.  Could not happen to a more deserving bunch.

I fear though that the stumbling block will be the TV contract,  No idea how that would play if the games were cancelled.

12 minutes ago, south inch said:

Its the result that will cause any problem not the location of the games.  I agree with you about the problems attached to cancelling individual games but in this instance 1st and 2nd are pretty well nailed on.  Cancel both games and let the trouble makers within both sets of supporters stew.  Could not happen to a more deserving bunch.

I fear though that the stumbling block will be the TV contract,  No idea how that would play if the games were cancelled.

I suppose Hibs can still theoritcaly catch Celtic so they can't just declare the game a draw.

SFA,SPFL, Scottish government have a huge decision to make.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

I suppose Hibs can still theoritcaly catch Celtic so they can't just declare the game a draw.

But they could postpone the game and as soon as Celtic can't mathematically be caught - scrap it. It would be a dead rubber whats the point?

28 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

But they could postpone the game and as soon as Celtic can't mathematically be caught - scrap it. It would be a dead rubber whats the point?

They have yet to play each other home and away and going down the mathematical route both may have to  be played

Edited by Johnny B

3 hours ago, Cagey said:

They don’t have any responsibility for any decision. It’s entirely in the hands of the Rangers mob. If they repeat it, everyone knows what that means and what then has to be done.

Those celebrations had little to do with football, of course. Everyone also knows that, but the media won’t say it.

Edited by Abernethy Saint

34 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

They don’t have any responsibility for any decision. It’s entirely in the hands of the Rangers mob. If they repeat it, everyone knows what that means and what then has to be done.

Those celebrations had little to do with football, of course. Everyone also knows that, but the media won’t say it.

How about you saying it Abernethy because I thought the authorities were the ones that had to decide what happens in Scottish football.

1 hour ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Which was why a number of the arrests in George Square were for "sectarian offences".  No doubt old Francis was getting pelters despite him being a River Plate supporter.