The Big Summer Transfer Window 2022 Thread

tucker

11 minutes ago, Aitchy said:

A lot of the usual drama queens will get themselves worked up over Considine, but I am happy enough with signing him.

I'm not suggesting Considine has the quality of Michael Duberry, but look at the impact that he had on Steven Anderson when he signed for us. I think Davidson will be looking for something similar with Considine bringing on Mahon and Cleary. He is also a leader, something which we didn't have enough of last season. Slightly concerned about his recent injury troubles though.

Considine is 35, hasn't finished a match since last August, rejected Aberdeens contract offer which would put him amongst our highest earners, and broke down 45 minutes into his first match since recovering from injury.

Absolutely no idea what the plan is here. He'll be signing as first choice but is a cripple.

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Considine is 35, hasn't finished a match since last August, rejected Aberdeens contract offer which would put him amongst our highest earners, and broke down 45 minutes into his first match since recovering from injury.

Absolutely no idea what the plan is here. He'll be signing as first choice but is a cripple.

Hence I mentioned my concerns about his recent injury troubles, although you would hope that the club would have assurances about the extent of his injuries before committing to a contract.

As for wages, absolutely no chance we will be paying him anywhere near what he was looking for at Aberdeen.

1 hour ago, Aitchy said:

A lot of the usual drama queens will get themselves worked up over Considine, but I am happy enough with signing him.

I'm not suggesting Considine has the quality of Michael Duberry, but look at the impact that he had on Steven Anderson when he signed for us. I think Davidson will be looking for something similar with Considine bringing on Mahon and Cleary. He is also a leader, something which we didn't have enough of last season. Slightly concerned about his recent injury troubles though.

Absolutely agree. A calm and experienced head at the back too in a group of relatively young centre halves 

I can sort of see a logic.

Last season we went into the campaign after the window with too many inexperienced players, particularly the two at the back (Dendocker & Muller).

This should see us with four central defenders competing for what you would expect to be three places. All three will consider themselves as being good enough to start. We are bound to have injuries, so like for like quality to come in.

How much of the finances have gone in getting him in is the concern though as I feel we have bigger issues in midfield than in central defence.

On paper it's not a bad signing, but when you bring in the other factors it most definitely is:

- he turned down a deal at Aberdeen partly because he wanted first-team football. This means we have guaranteed this. Who are we going to drop? Our captain, or one of the players that we brought in at considerable cost last season?

- he turned down a new deal at Aberdeen because they weren't willing to pay enough. Presumably we are, which means he's going to be a high earner

- he has serious injury problems and is 35. At that age, you're unlikely to recover from those injuries for very long before they reappear again 

31 minutes ago, rik2304 said:

Mahon to get dropped then?

Poor guy sat on the bench which I think was pissing him off as he looked a bit disinterested when warming up at half time . Had to play last game when McCart was unavailable and had a great game. Now he might be replaced by a guy who has not played much football for a season , is a known crock who broke down in the last game he played.

Hope we are not paying anything near the wages he was wanting at Aberdeen.

Happy enough its just 1yr for both - less of a risk that way. Can't see Considine starting though - Mahon will have the starting jersey IMHO with Considine as cover from the bench.

As for Wright he was ok when with us but I feel after the way he left us (after Saints looking after him through a  long injury) it left a bit of a bad taste. I think he's got a lot to prove at Saints.

2 minutes ago, templeofsaints said:

Happy enough its just 1yr for both - less of a risk that way. Can't see Considine starting though - Mahon will have the starting jersey IMHO with Considine as cover from the bench.

As for Wright he was ok when with us but I feel after the way he left us (after Saints looking after him through a  long injury) it left a bit of a bad taste. I think he's got a lot to prove at Saints.

Both are on 2 year deals. Considine wouldn't have a signed if there wasn't some assurances of a starting place.