The Big Summer Transfer Window 2022 Thread

tucker

On 6/19/2022 at 7:00 PM, Linky said:

On this topic (sort of), I think we're about to go through a bad period for Scottish football. Firstly, I think the OF are getting stronger and pulling further away from the rest. Secondly, quite a few Scottish managers have moved down South recently and will be offering contracts to anyone half decent who has left an SPFL club. In previous years players like Rooney & Hendry might've moved on to Hibs, Aberdeen and perhaps back to us after a few years. This means clubs like us have our best players picked up for nothing to go and play in League 2, whilst we replace them with poorer quality.

Ihear what you are saying but looking at our bottom half rivals they seem to be no weeker than last seasi so far but we are.

8 hours ago, dave mc said:

Brilliant idea. Warm weather training. Going from comfortable 20deg training to uncomfortable 30deg training a week before the season starts. Hope they don't get stranded in Spain due to flight cancellation.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Brilliant idea. Warm weather training. Going from comfortable 20deg training to uncomfortable 30deg training a week before the season starts. Hope they don't get stranded in Spain due to flight cancellation.

……….and no effect on the budget for new signings either? When was the last time we did this type of jaunt.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Or covid and they are forced to isolate out there 

Honestly, the negativity around everything we do is laughable.

I'm delighted that the team are going away for some training and team bonding - we rarely do this so it's nice to see us taking a proffessional appraoch for a change instead of srapping about in the highlands or Ireland.

There is still a lot of work to do and some new faces to come on board.

It's the start of a new season, please lets at least begin with some ambition for a better season.

I'm pretty sure that in previous seasons when we haven't gone abroad there have been people on here complaining that we're not keeping up with what the other clubs at our level are doing.

It's not all that unusual for the squad to go away together anyway. They've gone to Ireland fairly regularly over the years and who's to say the expense of doing that is all that different from going to Spain.

Personally I think the squad could probably do with a bit of a morale boost after what happened last season.

13 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

Honestly, the negativity around everything we do is laughable.

I'm delighted that the team are going away for some training and team bonding - we rarely do this so it's nice to see us taking a proffessional appraoch for a change instead of srapping about in the highlands or Ireland.

There is still a lot of work to do and some new faces to come on board.

It's the start of a new season, please lets at least begin with some ambition for a better season.

Spot on. Amazed at the negativity towards this.

There is a reason most English teams and bigger teams in Scotland do similar. The facilities are much better than what we could access in this country, the weather is likely to be much better and its a good chance for the team to spend time together.

I'm delighted we are taking a more professional approach. In seasons past we have had to use student accommodation in Ireland to accommodate players and train on public pitches. To me, that's not good enough for an established top flight team in Scotland and cant imagine that it would have been a big selling point to any potential signings. 

1 hour ago, Johnny B said:

Waste of money better spent elsewhere Is it another of CD;s ideas? I su[pose the bonding on the Spanish golf courses will be good for those that plasy golf

Can't be true there is nothing on OS or Saints Twitter :laugh:.

1 hour ago, rik2304 said:

Tommy was always desperate to get away and never was allowed to.

I don't think that's quite the case. The squad definitely went to Austria in summer 2018 and played a few games out there. There were also a few trips to Ireland/Northern Ireland.

3 hours ago, Cagey said:

Oh cagey is there anything you don’t moan at!!!!

I don't think it's a bad idea for the squad to go away. However, I do think it's interesting that Tommy wanted this and never got it, Davidson does. Similarly, Tommy always moaned about the budget, and yet for Davidson we're paying for players.

4 hours ago, Cagey said:

How on earth do you manage to sound so negative when talking about a team training camp. :laugh:

27 minutes ago, mainstand said:

How on earth do you manage to sound so negative when talking about a team training camp. :laugh:

I just think it is an unnecessary waste of money with more disadvantages than plus points. I can understand a warm weather camp in the winter break. Bu this close to start of season to go to Murcia with temperatures in mid 30s is not going to be a good idea.

They have a few football teams in Murcia so maybe they might get a couple of friendlies but I don't think there would be any value in them.