New poll: The Manager

blueheaven

Should Callum Davidson be replaced?  

181 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The old poll on here is from April and I think most people have already voted and can't change their votes. I think some people felt Davidson deserved the summer to make changes and try to improve things. So, as we're a couple of games into the new season, it would be interesting to see how the supportĀ feels now.

Should he stay or should he go?

I voted yes, itā€™s not the St Johnstone way I guess as our turn over of managers over the years show that, but I think he has to go now.

He will always be a legend at our club but that doesnā€™t mean he is exempt from criticism and I honestly believe there will be no one as bad as Dundee in our league this year, and everyone has seemed to build up a little stronger, whilstĀ we havenā€™t improved off the field and unfortunately all I see is us regressing even more then last season, which is saying something.

6 minutes ago, pezza70 said:

I honestly believe there will be no one as bad as Dundee in our league this year, and everyone has seemed to build up a little stronger, whilstĀ we havenā€™t improved off the field and unfortunately all I see is us regressing even more then last season, which is saying something.

Thereā€™s always at least one and if itā€™s not obvious from looking at the other teams who that is, then itā€™s more than likely yourself

Said it since before the Kelty game, and that game really should have been the final straw.

Was prepared to give him a second chance after the playoff victory but he's managed to completely **** that up after only 2 competitive matches.

Time is up, there's the door, no hard feelings, aw the best, goodbye!

This ultimately tells a story. As has been mentioned numerous times, everything thatā€™s going on at the club now is undoing 15+ years of hard work. Within 12 months or so weā€™ve turned from a model club to nearing basket-case, on the pitch at least. That doesnā€™t start and finish with the manager, but he has a huge part to play in it. Heā€™ll undoubtedly go down as a club legendĀ (arguably an icon inĀ Scottish football), and rightly so,Ā for what he achieved in 2021 - but I think itā€™s best for all parties he moves on before tarnishing that any further.Ā 

Edited by PSJ.84

I don't see the benefit of sacking him now. It brings in a new manager with no time to set the squad as they want. It makes it difficult to make a change in November if things aren't going well and pretty much commits them to after the January window closes. A bad decision guarantees relegation.

Giving Davidson until November, and the World Cup break, makes more sense. A new manager will have a month whilst the World Cup is on to work with the team, have a couple of games in late December and know the strategy for the January transfer market. If a change is going to be made, November is the time.

I'd give Davidson until November. If we're doing ok then obviously keep him. Switching now seems to be the completely wrong time and guarantee a mess for the whole season. It's too late now to avoid giving his plan time to settle (and a new manager opportunities to see the strengths and weaknesses).

1 minute ago, That_Dave said:

I don't see the benefit of sacking him now. It brings in a new manager with no time to set the squad as they want. It makes it difficult to make a change in November if things aren't going well and pretty much commits them to after the January window closes. A bad decision guarantees relegation.

Giving Davidson until November, and the World Cup break, makes more sense. A new manager will have a month whilst the World Cup is on to work with the team, have a couple of games in late December and know the strategy for the January transfer market. If a change is going to be made, November is the time.

I'd give Davidson until November. If we're doing ok then obviously keep him. Switching now seems to be the completely wrong time and guarantee a mess for the whole season. It's too late now to avoid giving his plan time to settle (and a new manager opportunities to see the strengths and weaknesses).

Sorry but no one could make it worse. Where have you been all last season.

1 minute ago, That_Dave said:

We could be 10+Ā points adrift in November, with the pressure seriously on the whole club, and that will only makeĀ the job harder for his replacement (and it could also make it harder for the club to attract the best possible candidate). Bring a new manager in now and he'll still haveĀ over a month left of the current transfer window to bring a couple of his own signings in and try to get us off to a good start in the league.

I really don't see what we're going to find out about Davidson in the next four months that we don't already know. He's not going to suddenly change. Things aren't going to get better. All evidence points towards us getting worse. When we're already this bad, the last thing we need is to sit back and allow our rivals a head start while we further assess something we already know.

Really Davidson should have gone with his head held high after the play-off win and it would have been for the best forĀ everyone. But the fact that that didn't happen isn't a reason to further prolong the inevitable.

Ā 

20 minutes ago, That_Dave said:

Davidson guaranteesĀ relegation.

The benefit is that this squad of players isnā€™t the worst in the Premiership. Itā€™s not far off, but it is but than one other squad and on a par with 2 other squads. Itā€™s Davidson that is the problem.

If a manager inherited this squad it would simply be about finding a system that suits it and getting these players playing.

Davidson is the problem.

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

38 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Ā 

Really Davidson should have gone with his head held high after the play-off win and it would have been for the best forĀ everyone. But the fact that that didn't happen isn't a reason to further prolong the inevitable.

Ā 

This is it for me. Said it once it was apparent he wasnā€™t getting sacked after Kelty,Ā and was surprised there werenā€™t more calling for it closer to the play-off. Extremely weird way to look at it, but theĀ late Hendry and Rooney goals could arguably have had a bigger impact than weā€™dĀ ever have thought