The January 2023 transfer window thread

blueheaven

On 1/29/2023 at 12:02 AM, MySpazz said:

Have you had a look at the goals? His last hatrick was literally three tap ins! They all count, but I'm not sure he'd have been afford such soft goals in any league in Scotland!

In the past, we have been falling over ourselves to take a look at players in Ireland who are banging in the goals… but suddenly it makes this guy even more of a dud when he scores multiple hat tricks.

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/football/northern-ireland/linfield-striker-eetu-vertainen-scores-second-hat-trick-in-three-games-in-thrashing-of-portadown-4005809

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

57 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

In the past, we have been falling over ourselves to take a look at players in Ireland who are banging in the goals… but suddenly it makes this guy even more of a dud when he scores multiple hat tricks.

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/football/northern-ireland/linfield-striker-eetu-vertainen-scores-second-hat-trick-in-three-games-in-thrashing-of-portadown-4005809

Looks like Rudden will be a Saints player by tomorrow Loan deal seal ed

1 hour ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

hear that...........he is out of contract in summer, we wanted him gone, and he has progressed, proving we were not right for him

9 hours ago, MySpazz said:

hear that...........he is out of contract in summer, we wanted him gone, and he has progressed, proving we were not right for him

He played 200 minutes for us.

Think how many young players have been written off after 3 games only to become key players by the end, Darnell Fisher always the first i think of.

Reported on Twitter that Linfield have offered him a PCA anyway, so thatll be that for his Saints career regardless.

Key for me is Max/Bair get loan deals where they get regular minutes. If they can, and can show they can play a part next season with us, that could save a lot of bother and free money up for other positions.

Id like a RB and now McGowans out a holding midfielder too, but change of shape maybe negates the second one a bit.

What strikes me about the forwards we've been linked to (Rudden, White and also Watt, if that last one is even true) is that they're all completely different types of players. If they were all target men then perhaps you could see what Davidson wants, but it feels more like he's trying to sign any striker he can get just because he can. I've always felt Davidson has no plan for how he wants us to actually score goals and this really isn't changing my mind on that. His plan always just seems to be to sign more and more players and hope something clicks.

I'd question whether we even need a striker at all. Even if Bair goes out on loan (will that actually happen?), May and Clark often don't start at the same time anyway, Kane is on the way back and McLennan can play anywhere across the frontline. And Vertainen is still ours despite the decision to write him off after a couple of games, after all the time and money we spent on signing him. And we still have MOH. I'm pretty sure Tommy Wright was often forced to work with considerably fewer attacking options, and yet had us higher up the league.

I really hope we don't sign anyone at all. We just don't need to keep adding more and more players. Why can't the manager just work with the massive squad he has?

I’m not 100% sure if White would’ve been the manager’s choice. Seemed to distance himself from it pretty quickly and the Courier reported a way that made it sound like it was from above him, albeit I can’t remember the wording. Not sure I believe the Watt one either