St.Johnstone V Rangers - Scottish cup 3rd round 21st January

SaintJet

Bit late in the day for starting a game thread but perhaps it might give us some relief from all the controversy surrounding the ticket and seating issue.

Can anyone contributing to this thread please keep the content to the football side of things.

Sure the team will have had a good look at themselves in the week and perhaps there might be some changes. I'd be tempted to give the "bear" a shot up front, maybe rest Stevie who has been running himself in to the ground. I also expect to see McPherson and Crawford start.

I'd love to win this.

49 minutes ago, templeofsaints said:

Hallberg fit apparently but McGowan rated 50/50 with a groin strain. So based on that Mitchell/Gordon/Considine at the back and Philips to perhaps start in midfield (and no doubt get a soft booking in the first 10 minutes)

Be good to see Hallberg back, we've definitely missed him but he'll not last an hour. I was hoping McGowan might make it but I was wanting to see him back in midfield.

8 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

Be good to see Hallberg back, we've definitely missed him but he'll not last an hour. I was hoping McGowan might make it but I was wanting to see him back in midfield.

McGowan started well for Saints in back 3 or holding midfielder but since the beginning of our losing run he has been poor and looked slow.

CD’s tactics will be park the bus, there is no way he will go with an attacking mind set.

I hope I’m wrong but going on past games against the OF.

Id love to see Max get a game he is young enough not to be overawed by the opposition and he might offer us a spark that’s been missing since the league resumed.

If rangers score early I think it could be a flogging, but fingers crossed the team has a real dig and tries to get the season back with a better performance then the last three or four games

3 hours ago, Cagey said:

McGowan started well for Saints in back 3 or holding midfielder but since the beginning of our losing run he has been poor and looked slow.

I honestly can’t see us ever winning a football match again with that back five. It’s vomit inducing!! Has to switch to a back 4.

The one I fear the most is:

Wright Mitchell Gordon Considine Gallacher 

I can almost live with:

McGowan Mitchell Considine Montgomery 

9 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

I honestly can’t see us ever winning a football match again with that back five. It’s vomit inducing!! Has to switch to a back 4.

I can almost live with:

Your back 4 would play identical to the back 5 though?

Theres going to be no difference unless we get a right back who can actually attack. 

9 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

I can almost live with:

I wouldn't be surprised if Brown gets a start.

I really believe there will be a shake up but at the back he's reluctant to change. I don't think he's dropping Gordon and McGowan is 50 / 50.

If we were to switch to a back four I'd play Brown at right-back and Booth (if he's still alive) at left-back. Really can't see us switching to a back four though.

I think Philips deserves a start tomorrow but I do worry about him chucking himself around when we're under pressure and getting himself sent off. Whatever midfield the Davidson Tombola throws out, I think there's a real danger of us getting over-run in the middle of the park. Oh for a Nick Dasovic type who could just calmly sit in front of the defence.

29 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

If we were to switch to a back four I'd play Brown at right-back and Booth (if he's still alive) at left-back. Really can't see us switching to a back four though.

I think Philips deserves a start tomorrow but I do worry about him chucking himself around when we're under pressure and getting himself sent off. Whatever midfield the Davidson Tombola throws out, I think there's a real danger of us getting over-run in the middle of the park. Oh for a Nick Dasovic type who could just calmly sit in front of the defence.

Booth has a groin injury now apparently.