Dundee United V St.Johnstone - Saturday 18th February 2023

R.B.B:- Adz

4 minutes ago, tucker said:

Brilliant team performance but special mention to Stevie May ran all day and got what he deserved.Cammy McPherson best game yet in a saints strip him and Dan Phillips brilliantĀ 

Good to hear it as the stats seem to show otherwise.

18 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Good to hear it as the stats seem to show otherwise.

Stats don't win matches, goals do.

You can have all the possession in the world (backwards, sideways & round and round).

It's what you do with possession that counts.

Cheer up.

Edited by HOODLUM65

Playing with intensity is better than having the ball.

United passed sideways a hundred times then we'd create a chance within 4 passes of winning the ball.

Manager isnt learning anything, which remains a worry. That was almost identical to us against Motherwell earlier this season where we take the lead v a dogshit side, camp on the one goal lead for no reason, let them back into it and then rely on Stevie May getting a goal from absolutely nothing to save face.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Playing with intensity is better than having the ball.

United passed sideways a hundred times then we'd create a chance within 4 passes of winning the ball.

Manager isnt learning anything, which remains a worry. That was almost identical to us against Motherwell earlier this season where we take the lead v a dogshit side, camp on the one goal lead for no reason, let them back into it and then rely on Stevie May getting a goal from absolutely nothing to save face.

Hate to take the shine off a Derby win and a great three points but have to say that was a bloody awful Dundee United side and we relied on a massive error to win the match. When they equalised they were in the ascendancy and that should never have happened, they were awful!

Davidsonā€™s refusal to sub any one of a number of players who were running on empty almost lost us a match against very poor opposition. What is the point in having a bench/squad of that quality if you wait until 70 minutes to use it.

Also, Iā€™ll say it again, ALEX MITCHELL CAN NOT PLAY IN THE RIGHT OF THREE CENTRE BACKS. A better team would have demolished Drey Wright and Mitchell down that side today.

Any combination of Wright, Mitchell, Gordon and Brown looks so vulnerable. Switch it to a four and all of a sudden Brown looks like a solid right back, Mitchell looks like a centre half that will mature into a very good player and Drey Wright looks like a dangerous flying winger.

No idea why Callum insists on square pegs in round holes!! Especially when facing such a poor side like Dundee United clearly are.

14 hours ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Stats don't win matches, goals do.

You can have all the possession in the world (backwards, sideways & round and round).

It's what you do with possession that counts.

Cheer up.

Spot on, they never looked like scoring, until that shot, aidded and abetted by Clancy some strange decisionsĀ 

There seems to be Ā a fair bit of negativity despite the fact we won. I thought yesterday was quality. Itā€™s all about winning sometimes and yesterday was 100% one of those games. Of course we got a bit of luck, but May made his own luck by closing down the keeper.

Utd are pretty rubbish but still have some decent players, itā€™s not going to be an easy game against them.Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

Weā€™ve been really Jekyll and Hyde from the first half to the second at times under Davidson and thatā€™s quite a worry for me. Canā€™t always be brilliant but you could probably count on one hand the number of complete performances weā€™ve had in the last couple of seasons. Still 12 games to play and 2 wins likely guarantees safety, so canā€™t grumble too much.Ā 

1 hour ago, Brian Potter said:

There seems to be Ā a fair bit of negativity despite the fact we won. I thought yesterday was quality. Itā€™s all about winning sometimes and yesterday was 100% one of those games.

It became one of those games because, for some bizarre unknown reason, we yet again saw a confidence sapped side in front of us and allowed them to build their way into the game.

At half time theyd chucked it and all we had to do was apply sustained pressure to break them. Instead we camped in our half and let them build up a head of steam. Did anyone watch the 10/15 mins before their equaliser and not see it coming?

That can happen in games but its now a recurring theme. Almost identical to Fir Park earlier this season even to the point of it being rescued by May scoring from nothing.

We could be so much more than this.

1 hour ago, Brian Potter said:

There seems to be Ā a fair bit of negativity despite the fact we won. I thought yesterday was quality. Itā€™s all about winning sometimes and yesterday was 100% one of those games. Of course we got a bit of luck, but May made his own luck by closing down the keeper.

Utd are pretty rubbish but still have some decent players, itā€™s not going to be an easy game against them.Ā 

I think those that have been critical raise the same issues when we don't get the gifts, and hard work of May, of yesterday. Yes it's all about the points in the end but when it doesn't go our way I can imagine your attitude would change and the criticism would match the earlier posts. It's no lack of celebration or happiness in the win, it's the weary realisation that we should never have been in the position of it being 1-1.

Would everyone want us to play pretty and lose or play dour at times and get the 3 points?

The results went our way yesterday, we have no more games against the ugly sisters and hopefully we can get on a run and make a push for the top 6.

This time last year we were on life support, this season we are a genuine chance of staying up without the playoff route and still an outside chance for the top six

6 minutes ago, pezza70 said:

Would everyone want us to play pretty and lose or play dour at times and get the 3 points?

Ā 

Why is playing pretty and winning not an option?

Folk seem to think just because us trying to shitfest a 1-0 win every week works every so often, nothing else could possibly work.

We won yesterday but if we'd gone 4-4-2 would we have lost? Would we have won? Its all ifs and buts, but all I know is we almost chucked away a win against one of the, if not the, worst sides in the division (yet again) because the manager refuses to learn any lessons.

I worry thats going to bite us when weĀ dontĀ have players dragging goals from nowhere.

May v Motherwell/Hibs/Utd, Crawford v County. Thats 8pts gained by late goals from nothing after the managers gameplan has hindered us, and thats just from memory. This league is a knife edge one where minor things become huge, and hes constantly got us dancing on the edge for no good reason. Its gone for us this year but went against us last, i worry itll be against us next season again.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Why is playing pretty and winning not an option?

Folk seem to think just because us trying to shitfest a 1-0 win every week works every so often, nothing else could possibly work.

We won yesterday but if we'd gone 4-4-2 would we have lost? Would we have won? Its all ifs and buts, but all I know is we almost chucked away a win against one of the, if not the, worst sides in the division (yet again) because the manager refuses to learn any lessons.

I worry thats going to bite us when weĀ dontĀ have players dragging goals from nowhere.

May v Motherwell/Hibs/Utd, Crawford v County. Thats 8pts gained by late goals from nothing after the managers gameplan has hindered us, and thats just from memory. This league is a knife edge one where minor things become huge, and hes constantly got us dancing on the edge for no good reason. Its gone for us this year but went against us last, i worry itll be against us next season again.

Iā€™d love for us to play pretty and win definitely but right now the three points is the important thing to keep our head above waterĀ 

It was a decent result, but as above you can see them being allowed into the game in the second half we drop back and become more passive inviting them to score, and then the enivitable happened when we should have been out of sight.Ā 

Problem is good result and all that probably means another season of this nonsense as the league position deflects the performances and poor game management.

Ā