Summer transfers/contracts 2023

garydavidson

39 minutes ago, rik2304 said:

McDonald would be a solid back up/competition for Sinclair.

Yeah, would hate to see Sinclair and Ballantyne dumped for McDonald and Crawford or Hallberg. These guys need to be given a chance and what I have seen of them look as though they have a future. They won't progress sitting on the bench.

I have noticed Alan Mannus has been missing from the Shamrock Rovers match day squad for a couple of months, and what a keeper coach he would have made. 

But, on checking him out he sustained a dislocated finger and it appears that David Healy is happy to wait for his return to fitness, rather than search for a replacement. Plus, Mannus also extended his contract in December. 

You can but dream. 

2 hours ago, Saintdunc said:

I have noticed Alan Mannus has been missing from the Shamrock Rovers match day squad for a couple of months, and what a keeper coach he would have made. 

But, on checking him out he sustained a dislocated finger and it appears that David Healy is happy to wait for his return to fitness, rather than search for a replacement. Plus, Mannus also extended his contract in December. 

You can but dream. 

He also has a job with IFA as goalkeeping coach educator.

1 hour ago, saintee in exile said:

I'm pretty pleased that MacLean is proactive in giving the young boys a fair crack of the whip unlike Davidson.Seems like an age since we had young players coming into the first team from the youth set up.Hoping Max,Cammy and Sinclair all become regular first team players

Makes you wonder Alister Stephensons role.

On 6/23/2023 at 4:44 PM, That_Dave said:

To be fair, the Kerr and McCann sagas messed up that transfer window. If they both stayed what we needed was very different to if they both went. It being resolved so late was a problem, but the bigger issue is the whole summer we didn't really know what the core of the squad would be come transfer deadline day. Had we know they were going, and for what price, earlier I think our incoming transfers would be very different.

I think this links to why so many players came in during January that season. We couldn't use the budget in the summer, and tried to spend it and build a new culture in the middle of the season. That run in November/December is what really did for us, as it dragged us into a relegation battle so we couldn't keep the investment until the summer.

Basically yeah, although I feel like this is quite a generous way of looking at things. For me, we knew we were building towards what could have been an absolutely game-changing European campaign that summer, we had a higher-than-ever profile thanks to winning the double, we knew we desperately needed a goalscorer, and we should have pushed the boat out and gone for a good striker early enough to actually play in those games. I don't think the Kerr and McCann situation should have impacted on that. We needed a striker whether they stayed or left.

My memory of the January window that followed was we were staring relegation in the face thanks largely to Davidson completely f**king up the first half of the season, and the club allowed him to bring in a huge number of players to try to turn that around. It's another example of us only really being proactive in the transfer market when we're on our knees and desperate, instead of trying to go for players at points where we're on a high and we're more of an attractive proposition for potential signings.

This was the table headed into the January window of 21/22, after our 8th consecutive defeat (which included the Kelty game).

Screenshot_20230624_192303_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ccd26443aa0e992458fead33f627ccce.jpg

Club had no option but to try and spend their way to safety as it was clear Davidson couldnt turn the squad around as it was.

We were still remarkably lucky Dundee sacked McPake, tbh. Theyd just won at Tynecastle and were 2pts clear of us when it happened, and only won 1 of the remaining 13 games as they finished 6pts behind us.

3 hours ago, tucker said:

Any news on hallberg hopefully not resigning but might need him as we're signing nothing at the moment 

There are 5 players,  Turner ,Deas , Kennedy , Tiffany and Joe any or all of whom I would have been happy for us to sign. It has been said that we didn't lose out on them it was that Macca didn't fancy them. Let's hope he has better lined up but can't see it.

If we are struggling to find targets I wouldn't be upset at Hallberg being signed but wouldn't be over the moon.

We need a couple of signings to get the supporters excited.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

There are 5 players,  Turner ,Deas , Kennedy , Tiffany and Joe any or all of whom I would have been happy for us to sign. It has been said that we didn't lose out on them it was that Macca didn't fancy them. Let's hope he has better lined up but can't see it.

If we are struggling to find targets I wouldn't be upset at Hallberg being signed but wouldn't be over the moon.

We need a couple of signings to get the supporters excited.

Not so sure that is true: https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/4495528/st-johnstone-steven-maclean-transfers-budget/

MacLean added:  “We’ve spoken to players and made offers to a couple.

“We’ll be unsuccessful at times – that’s how football works.

“But we’ll certainly not be crying about it.

“You’re going to lose out on some. It could come down to another club paying more or a player just wants to go somewhere else.

“Normally it will be because someone else has a bigger budget than you.

“That’s just the way it is. I’m comfortable with that.

“People might think that there’s not a lot going on but the market is quite quiet in general and there’s a lot of work going on behind the scenes.

“I wouldn’t comment on my budget and say it’s big, small or whatever.

“All I know is I’ll try to get the best players I can and then I’ll work with them and improve them.

“A budget is a budget.”

14 hours ago, tucker said:

Looking like we're going to get the dregs no-one else wants and poor loans that never really work out expect a random few squad isn't near strong enough in most departments.stays the same we're struggling again 

I don't think its flapping time quite yet when you look at the rest of the signings so far:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65903977

11 hours ago, garydavidson said:

I don't think its flapping time quite yet when you look at the rest of the signings so far:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65903977

There are fairly few incoming players to any of the teams - players are still under contract until June 30, so it's normal to be quiet at this time of year.

Not sure its worth comparing us to every other club. Most of the top 6 sides have fairly settled, good, squads so someone like Hearts arent making deals because they are targetting specific folk to improve them.

Then youve got teams like County and Dundee who seem to be rebuilding their entire teams.

We're probably in a fairly similar position to Motherwell, who havent really signed anyone either. Squad needs improved but, numbers wise, is probably already close to being where it should be, so signings need to be very specific about what they bring so your squad has a bit of everything.

Manager said CB, FB and W were targets didnt he? We'll probably be looking for one for each position.