Open Night part 2

rik2304

56 minutes ago, rik2304 said:

Seems to be full on administrative. So dealing with contracts, VAR appeals,  player issues etc 

He's no interest in coaching or being a manager 

Cheers, that was pretty much what I thought. Seems a bit odd that that role has gone to a guy with a playing/coaching background rather than someone with a business/admin background. Of course that's not to say he's not good at doing it.

26 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Cheers, that was pretty much what I thought. Seems a bit odd that that role has gone to a guy with a playing/coaching background rather than someone with a business/admin background. Of course that's not to say he's not good at doing it.

He seems to enjoy it anyway. Yes it's admin stuff but it's all related purely to football. He seems to have provided a lot of support to Bair for example around the racism incident. 

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

I think in our case it’s quite handy to have somebody with the footballing background MacPherson has. I got the impression last night he was hinting that Davidson was given the green light for a lot of signings without anybody suggesting the squad was too big, both in terms of numbers and age. That’s not to say that somebody without a footballing background couldn’t see these sorts of things - we’re all able to - but somebody had to step in and take that responsibility away from Flaherty - or whoever was involved in the summer window. Imagine he’ll have a fairly decent list of contacts help with the offloading of players etc. 

Edited by PSJ.84

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

But how often do we hear criticism from fans/journalists etc about 'those in charge' not being 'football men'? I think that being an ex-player/manager provides significant face-validity which boosts credibility, though of course you have to demonstrate that you can do the business side of things too.

7 hours ago, Dooj said:

But how often do we hear criticism from fans/journalists etc about 'those in charge' not being 'football men'? I think that being an ex-player/manager provides significant face-validity which boosts credibility, though of course you have to demonstrate that you can do the business side of things too.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

• 2 weeks later...