Time For Change

Radford 72

Time for change?  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sad about Macca after what he did for us a player but for the good of the club he really had to go. It was getting embarrassing for us. He was ruthless in some of his decisions and possibly there were other influencing factors but we got rid of too many good players and brought in too many just not good enough I do hope with all my heart we get the right man this time who can turn things round and whoever it is I wish them all the best. Saints have been in my heart for more than 50 years and it saddens me to see where we are right now. Onwards and upwards. COYS.

54 minutes ago, Broggy Man said:

Yea he made a horrible mistake but he won’t be the first or the last

He was also heavily at fault in the hibs and Dundee games. The two games we had with out him, livi and Aberdeen I thought we looked better. Then he comes back in and our defense turns to shit. Im possibly being over critical, but players like him epitomize why we've been so shit for two plus years.

Edited by scott1982

18 minutes ago, guisboroughsaintee said:

Sad about Macca after what he did for us a player but for the good of the club he really had to go. It was getting embarrassing for us. He was ruthless in some of his decisions and possibly there were other influencing factors but we got rid of too many good players and brought in too many just not good enough I do hope with all my heart we get the right man this time who can turn things round and whoever it is I wish them all the best. Saints have been in my heart for more than 50 years and it saddens me to see where we are right now. Onwards and upwards. COYS.

Maybe a season down in the championship wouldn’t be a bad thing for us

43 minutes ago, pezza70 said:

Can we afford to go down, too me, going down is almost like a return to part time football, as a club we are a SPL team, our recent consecutive top flight run shows that.

We go down I don't think we will return for a few seasons.

Easier to stay in premiership than get in it.

6 hours ago, Stumpy1949 said:

Interesting there's no mention of Gus McPherson's role?

He is purely admin nothing to do with football side of things. 

I am sure Charlie Adam said he spoke to Gus when he wanted a team for Costelloe.

Otherwise what is he there for , helping Roddy with his computer?.

Let's face it: MacLean should never, ever have been given the job in the first place, let alone been given a three-year deal. There were worrying signs even during his few games as caretaker manager, and handing him a long-term deal off the back of those games was a lazy, short-sighted, unimaginative, cheapskate decision.

Once he got the job I was happy to get behind him and give him a chance. I really liked a lot of the things he said, and I think some of his signings were pretty good (Mitov is our best signing in years; Sprangler looks a cracking find; even Smith and Jephcott looked great signings on paper but are obviously yet to deliver). But once the injury crisis ended and he had his own players in place he really needed to prove he could turn his positive words into positive performances and I think Saturday probably confirmed that was never going to happen (despite a slight improvement in the games before that).

We desperately needed to make a clean break from the Davidson regime at the end of last season. By not doing that we've wasted more time, wasted more money, blown an absolutely pivotal transfer window, and put ourselves in a position at the bottom of the league table that might not be recoverable. These decisions aren't Macca's fault. They're the club's fault. And I know people will say it's a different board in charge now but I struggle to believe there was no overlap or conversation at the time that would have involved Harris and co. And all of this has been overseen by the same owner. The fact is the various people running the club over the last three or four years have lurched from one bad decision to another and they've let us all down.

I know I've said this on here multiple times but this all stems back to not doing enough to keep our best ever manager happy. If Tommy Wright had felt supported and happy in his job, and been given the structure and set-up he was asking for, he'd still be our manager now and we'd probably still be a comfortable mid-table Premiership club enjoying the occasional good Cup run and European qualification.

Losing Tommy Wright, and then allowing Callum Davidson to completely dismantle everything Wright took years to build, has completely killed what this club was.

I've been pondering a thing most old farts do, Liam Craig leaving is a strange one seemed to be doing a good job with the young lads. So was it a case of misguided loyalty !! if he's going I'm going!! scenario, further I raised the dreaded Eetu case honest opinions please. Did anybody see any signs he could be a good signing, 2/ needed coaching  3/just wasn't up to this level no personnel attacks just wondering after Macca's diatribe on Saturday

Edited by john.w

1 hour ago, john.w said:

I've been pondering a thing most old farts do, Liam Craig leaving is a strange one seemed to be doing a good job with the young lads. So was it a case of misguided loyalty !! if he's going I'm going!! scenario, further I raised the dreaded Eetu case honest opinions please. Did anybody see any signs he could be a good signing, 2/ needed coaching  3/just wasn't up to this level no personnel attacks just wondering after Macca's diatribe on Saturday

I wonder if Macca's attack against the players (which I think most people would agree was crossing the line) was as a result of him being sacked (was he told 'win or you're out'?) or was what precipitated a 'heated discussion' that led to him being sacked.

The ridiculously short press statement from the club makes me think that there was some kind of bust-up. And I think that Liam must have been involved in some way, otherwise it would seem very harsh to get rid of him at this stage. Unless he was seen to be very much Macca's man - doesn't explain the lack of any expression of gratitude to Liam in the statement though.

10 minutes ago, Dooj said:

I wonder if Macca's attack against the players (which I think most people would agree was crossing the line) was as a result of him being sacked (was he told 'win or you're out'?) or was what precipitated a 'heated discussion' that led to him being sacked.

The ridiculously short press statement from the club makes me think that there was some kind of bust-up. And I think that Liam must have been involved in some way, otherwise it would seem very harsh to get rid of him at this stage. Unless he was seen to be very much Macca's man - doesn't explain the lack of any expression of gratitude to Liam in the statement though.

According to the Courier, Macca took a training session on Sunday morning, then had a meeting with Stan Harris, and it was only then that he was sacked. So perhaps there was a falling out in that meeting?

To be honest I think Craig had to go too. We were being led by two very inexperienced coaches who both seemed completely out of their depth. Perhaps one of them alongside a more experienced figure might have worked better, but as usual Saints probably weren't willing to spend the money they'd need to spend to make that happen (and now they end up having to spend a lot more because of that). I think we need a completely clean break from all of those guys now.

It's easy to read a lot into the press statement but I honestly think it's just another case of Saints being absolutely rubbish at basic communication.