January Transfer Window

pezza70

43 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Looks like a fee would be required and a few teams in for him so can't see it.

If this is true, and he was on our radar, it says something, when you all think that a team who play in the top league in Scotland cannot compete, against a mid table English League 1 side, to sign a goalscorer from way down the English pyramid. 

That said, Warrington is a lot closer than Perth is, to the grim shores of Blackpool. 

****ing hell we though shift key was bad this is how many levels below that? No way in hell are our, and I use the term loosely, our scouting network that sophisticated to spot what other teams have not.

Literally no point to this what so ever. Does this make us stronger? Does it ****

Does it reduce wage bill if certain strikers move on, maybe. This is where we are and honestly **** that shit im done

Edited by Shaggy Jenkins

6 hours ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

****ing hell we though shift key was bad this is how many levels below that? No way in hell are our, and I use the term loosely, our scouting network that sophisticated to spot what other teams have not.

Literally no point to this what so ever. Does this make us stronger? Does it ****

Does it reduce wage bill if certain strikers move on, maybe. This is where we are and honestly **** that shit im done

Throw the balls in the air and hope that he or DJ or Benjie can come up with goods.

Waiting for the club statement " we have been watching him for some time" Ie his video looks good.

Anyway let's hope he answers our striker problem. I suspect the problem is deeper than the striker though.

6 hours ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

Hang on a second. You’re going to give up supporting the club because we might be buying a striker that, according to rumours, League One clubs were also interested in? Seems a bit extreme

7 hours ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

Unless you've seen the guy play, I find this sort of view absolutely baffling. As long as the club have done their homework and actually watched him (like I suspect they didn't do with Bair), then I don't see what the problem is.

For comparison, he's playing at the same level in the English pyramid that Dipo Akinyemi had spent much of his career at before signing for Ayr United. When Akinyemi started banging in goals for Ayr, there were a lot of people on here suggesting we try to sign him, and also asking why it is that Saints never seem able to find/attract players like that. Now we're doing exactly that and people are already flying off the handle about how bad the player apparently is.

I'm really struggling to understand how people can form such strong opinions about guys they've presumably never seen play or even heard of. Surely we've all been following football for long enough to understand that there are gems to be found at lower levels.

50 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Waiting for the club statement " we have been watching him for some time" Ie his video looks good.

It really wouldn't be difficult for Saints to send someone to watch him play a few games in person. Especially when you consider his team has carried on playing matches throughout January while we've been dormant. There was a bit of an excuse for not doing this during Covid, or when the player played abroad like Bair/Melamed/Keltjens, but with this guy there's absolutely no reason why we shouldn't have done some pretty thorough homework.

8 hours ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

That’s the spirit!

The only question I have on any signing given what has been happening, especially in the striker's role, is will any of them actually get a run of games to find some form?  Will we use two up front to help each other?  Have we anyone capable of providing the opportunities.  

I hope the answer to all is yes but I cannot say I'm convinced.  Eetu, Bair, Jepchott even Melamed didn't rate a run.  Would the outcomes have been different if the manager showed some faith?  

Whoever we end up with, we have to support them.  

Some interesting points made by Levein about Jephcott and general tactics in The Courier today. 

“Jephcott, for me, was a player who you need when you’re dominating games and gets loads of chances,” said the Saints boss. “Because the best part of his game is his finishing.

“We are not creating a lot of chances.

“We need other things at the moment to get us up the field. He just doesn’t fit with what we need right at this moment in time.

“If we were dominating games, staying in the opposition half and creating chances then he’s one you’d want in the squad.

“But we’re not making 14, 15 or 16 chances a game. We’re creating very few.

“Sometimes we play with one striker because I feel our midfield, with an extra player, works better than two strikers.

“I’ve been shuffling the pack a little bit and trying to come up with a solution that helps us to win games.”

1 hour ago, Setting Son said:

You’ll pick up a gem every now and again like Twads and to an extent Buglione but it’s pretty rare . See there’s a young lad just been sold by Albion Rovers to Burnley so it does happen . Bernie Slaven all over again . 

I used to have a season ticket watching a team at that level a few years ago, and regularly saw players I felt would be worth Saints taking a look at. Among the players in the team I used to watch were Ethan Pinnock who now plays every week in the English Premier, and a midfielder who now plays in the top division in Turkey. Dipo Akinyemi was playing for that team at the time too, and often didn't get a game: there were other players considerably better than him.

I'm convinced there are plenty of gems to be found in the sixth and 7th tiers of English football. But I'd imagine the hard part is getting them to come up here, when a lot of the good ones will also have interest from other English clubs who are closer to home and offering more money.

I think there's an outdated perception of players at that level being slow, unfit, part-time cloggers, but it's changed a lot. A lot of them are ex-Premier League or professional academy players who have lost their way but are fit, athletic and very good on the ball.