St.Johnstone V St.Mirren - Wednesday 6th December

SaintJet

Great 3 points. Daylight robbery going by beeb reports. We weren't great but think we were worth the win.

No failures tonight but Broken and Gallagher are not wing backs but we don't have any.

Smith and Phillips worked their socks off "they all did",and looked knackered but kept going . Only two subs used and one of those for injury.

Does Levein not trust the squad or foes he not want to change things we we are not getting beat.

Wasn't the best of games, but a massive three points.

d*** Campbell once described one of the reasons that he has had such a long and successful career in the lower leagues: "I never ask a player to do something that they are not capable of." That statement came into my mind when watching Brown and Gallagher being asked to play wing-back tonight. They just can't play that role. There is so little overlap from either of them. It allows the opposition to stay compact and keep tight, full-backs know that they are turning inside and playing a backwards or at best side-ways pass.

If we are going to play this system under Levein long-term, we need to target players that can play that role and well or hope Drey Wright can stay fit for more than a few games.

Thought Smith was class again tonight and puts in a power of running, alongside Phillips. Robinson continues to improve and Gordon is looking much more solid, especially since McGowan has been brought back in from the cold.

DJ might have done alright against Celtic, but I wasn't impressed at all tonight. He ain't the solution upfront.

2 hours ago, Cagey said:

Great 3 points. Daylight robbery going by beeb reports. We weren't great but think we were worth the win.

No failures tonight but Broken and Gallagher are not wing backs but we don't have any.

Smith and Phillips worked their socks off "they all did",and looked knackered but kept going . Only two subs used and one of those for injury.

Does Levein not trust the squad or foes he not want to change things we we are not getting beat.

Andrew Petrie, BBC Sport Scotland, is this wanker related to Chic Young?

When the camera cut to Craig Levein at full-time, a familiar wry smile was spread across his face. He couldn't believe his side had completed the heist and won all three points.
Come the end of the season, Kane's late strike - although undeserved - will represent a vital three points that really should have gone the other way.

Pre-game, Levein talked about how his players had been working hard in training, putting their bodies on the line. The defence proved him right, throwing themselves at last-ditch challenges they had no right to get to.
And a word for Dimitar Mitov. A couple of vital saves that kept St Johnstone in it, before they eventually pulled off the robbery.

I've always said I don't care how we play as long as we get results, and I think last night tested my view on that about as far as it's ever been tested. I'm struggling to remember a jammier Saints win. St Mirren missed at least one absolute nailed-on sitter; Mitov was again our saviour a couple of times; Kane went clean through on goal and completely messed it up, then he messed his penalty up, then he almost messed the rebound up, and yet somehow he managed to get it into the back of the net. I'm not sure I've ever felt less confident in a player as they've stepped up to take a penalty but bloody hell how good did that feel when it eventually went in.

Really can't complain if we somehow manage to keep grinding out points like that but have to say I think there were a ton of signs last night that there's still a helluva lot of work to do. We're incredibly limited in our wide areas in particular, and for some reason we're persisting with a wing-back system when we don't have anyone able to play that role on either side. When we line up with five defenders and two defensive midfielders in front of them, and one winger playing out of position on his own up front, it becomes virtually impossible to break forward with any sort of pace or fluidity.

Yet again our players looked exhausted after 70 minutes but all credit to them for digging in and continuing to work their arses off. Levein seems incredibly reluctant each week to make any subs or changes. Him and Kirk spend half the game engaged in what look like deep, animated conversations, pointing and gesturing all over the pitch, and yet barely anything ever seems to come of it. Can only assume he just doesn't think his options on the bench are up to the job, but to me we really, really needed some fresh legs on the pitch to help out.

Brilliant to see Sprangler playing again, even if it was enforced. Our midfield has really missed him.

What a massive game we have on Saturday now.

3 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I've always said I don't care how we play as long as we get results, and I think last night tested my view on that about as far as it's ever been tested. I'm struggling to remember a jammier Saints win. St Mirren missed at least one absolute nailed-on sitter; Mitov was again our saviour a couple of times; Kane went clean through on goal and completely messed it up, then he messed his penalty up, then he almost messed the rebound up, and yet somehow he managed to get it into the back of the net. I'm not sure I've ever felt less confident in a player as they've stepped up to take a penalty but bloody hell how good did that feel when it eventually went in.

Really can't complain if we somehow manage to keep grinding out points like that but have to say I think there were a ton of signs last night that there's still a helluva lot of work to do. We're incredibly limited in our wide areas in particular, and for some reason we're persisting with a wing-back system when we don't have anyone able to play that role on either side. When we line up with five defenders and two defensive midfielders in front of them, and one winger playing out of position on his own up front, it becomes virtually impossible to break forward with any sort of pace or fluidity.

Yet again our players looked exhausted after 70 minutes but all credit to them for digging in and continuing to work their arses off. Levein seems incredibly reluctant each week to make any subs or changes. Him and Kirk spend half the game engaged in what look like deep, animated conversations, pointing and gesturing all over the pitch, and yet barely anything ever seems to come of it. Can only assume he just doesn't think his options on the bench are up to the job, but to me we really, really needed some fresh legs on the pitch to help out.

Brilliant to see Sprangler playing again, even if it was enforced. Our midfield has really missed him.

What a massive game we have on Saturday now.

I've never been convinced by Kane when he has time to think about a chance. He's far, far better just reacting to something.

Seems Kane found a way to get two shots on target to help the stats!

The one thing that comes to mind with Levein picking Max over Sprangler is that Levein brought Max to Scotland, is it a wee stubborn streak perhaps? 

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/4828479/max-kucheriavyi-st-johnstone-craig-levein-andy-kirk/

That was brutal. There is no other way to describe it. Freezing night watching players pass the ball away to the opposition! At times you wondered if they actually knew each other.

The first half was pure purgitory and I was worried that St.Mirren started to push their line up further and further as the game went on and they really felt they were going get the win - that was miss of the season by the lad hitting the post with the open goal!

The defense looked pretty good at the back and McGowan and Gordon have really improved with the new manager. Brown puts in an honest shift and to be fair he knows his limitations and plays to them. I hate slating players but I don't want to see Gallacher back in the line up! He was lost and was as nevous as a kitten all night. We have to have someone better surely. Sprangler slipped in seamlessly and hope he continues starting. Jais up front was dissapointing after his decent game on Sunday and he was out muscled all night - I expeceted more from him.

Second half was slightly better but we need width desperatley and we need to get Clark back fit. Drey and Clark will improve this team.

The quality of the pen summed up the night but who cares - 3 massive points and every positive result improves the confidence and outlook of the players.

17 minutes ago, Bruno Strasser said:

That last ditch tackle by Sven in the first half as the St Mirren player was about to pull the trigger - wow. I think he should be starting ahead of Max.

Interesting stat from the BBC: "St Johnstone's Sven Sprangler attempted six tackles (and won five) in this game, at least double the amount of any other player on either team."

1 hour ago, garydavidson said:

Seems Kane found a way to get two shots on target to help the stats!

The one thing that comes to mind with Levein picking Max over Sprangler is that Levein brought Max to Scotland, is it a wee stubborn streak perhaps? 

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/4828479/max-kucheriavyi-st-johnstone-craig-levein-andy-kirk/

Levein got a bit upset in an interview a couple of weeks ago when journo intimated that Max may be in the team because he was his boy.

41 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Levein got a bit upset in an interview a couple of weeks ago when journo intimated that Max may be in the team because he was his boy.

I'm sure it's crossed everyone's mind. I like Max and think he's one for the future, but we have better players so he shouldn't be starting games at the moment. I think he probably should have gone out on loan to the Championship this season.

24 minutes ago, Saintdunc said:

Kane always reminds me of Andy Jackson and my postman. 

Full of promise but never delivers. 

He was hugely important and effective in the double season but questions need to be asked about his professionalism around his injury rehab and he's never been a reliable goalscorer.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

He cant play for Wigan until January, so they wont recall him until then.

Robertson will be a big miss. Has played lcb , left back , left wingback. Gallagher could probably cover left back but not sure about the others. He got a bit of stick last night but I thought he played out of position and had been sat in the stand or maybe injured for the last year.

7 minutes ago, rik2304 said:

He was hugely important and effective in the double season but questions need to be asked about his professionalism around his injury rehab and he's never been a reliable goalscorer.

When I saw Kane go down late in game I thought that's him out til January.

Like most I was worried when Kane claimed the ball for penalty but then I saw it could have been Carey or Phillips I thought maybe better to go with the guy that looked confident.

lucky though.