new manager

bankfoot saint

I found women, beer and drugs decades ago, but they've never stopped me going to Saints!!Some guys have to grow a pair and tell the bitches they're off tae the fitbaw!:)These offensive remarks in no way relate to some of my friends at the 208 ladies!

Edited by dave mc

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just heard from an Owl down here that ex Saint Sean McAulay has expressed a desire to return to Scotland, although I have not heard or seen any evidence of this or that he has applied for the post. He has been Caretaker at Hillsborough a number of times and done a really good job especially after Sturrock left. He is part of their Academy set up and might be worth a punt.

Just heard from an Owl down here that ex Saint Sean McAulay has expressed a desire to return to Scotland, although I have not heard or seen any evidence of this or that he has applied for the post. He has been Caretaker at Hillsborough a number of times and done a really good job especially after Sturrock left. He is part of their Academy set up and might be worth a punt.

Another name in the frame...where will it end :)

I know this is off-thread but you've provoked deep-seated resentments in me. The way Perth Academy treated Atholl Henderson was a disgrace to Education. I remember on one ocassion he was selected to play for Scotland and the 'rugby-playing' school would not allow him to leave at dinner time to be in good time for an evening game. He had to leave at 3.30 in a car. It was mean spirited and the person who was most to blame was a tedious snob of a gym teacher called Ned Hunter who some academy former pupils still revere in bouts of fake nostaligia. But in truth he was a ghastly prick of a man who hated football a sport he should have been teaching. Rant over.

Yeouth, I could not agree more. A strange chap - Hunter that is - not Atholl

Anyone recall Atholl's goal at Wembley - an absolute peach!

If this is indeed the case, then I think the board are on to a potential winner. Kids have changed in the last few decades. Actions speak much louder than tradition. I support Saints because my dad supported Saints, they were my nearest professional team, and I went to games since I could walk. I'm afraid that that does not work now, because peer pressure, TV domination of the game and the coverage of success in all media forms makes bandwaggon jumping by kids the norm.

Crowds are suffering because 15 years ago all school kids supported Rangers and Celtic. Where will we be in another 15 years time? Most of the kids in my son's class wear Chelsea and Man United shirts.

Dundee United run a training scheme in Angus, and they come to my son's primary school every thursday. For £25 he gets a replica strip, and an hours coaching for a school term. DU send a player each week too, usually a youth team player for example. You wouldn't believe how exciting this is to a group of 9 and 10 year olds. A real footballer! I take my son to coaching with Montrose on a Saturday, and this week Montrose were playing a friendly against Kirriemuir at 11am, on the adjacent pitch. All the kids wanted to do was watch the match! I was at the Livingston cup game earlier this year, and we were slow out of the ground. Midgie was walking down the car park and said Hi to my son (because he was wearing his Super J's top I assume). He never stopped talking about it for days.

My point is that kids are easily impressed. I'm not talking about exploiting their impressionability, but if you can offer them a link to real football instead of fantasy television football, I think there would be a subsequent swing in support for local teams in decades to come.

If a team like Saints were to take this a step further, and are seeking to employ an ambassador type manager to bring the club back into the lives of the community, then it can only be a good thing. It really didn't take a lot for my son to become proud to support St Johnstone, despite our record compared to the teams his friends support. He gets a great deal of respect from his friends, because he didn't 'pick' a team to follow, he follows a team for the right reasons.

In this context, can you imagine a kids training session, or a school visit from Jim Jeffries or Mark McGhee? :roll:

Interesting this. Moving to a town in Surrey half way between centre of London and Portsmouth with no local premier league team my lad hooked up with Arsenal as they had a few players in the French team that won the world cup. Most kids supported Chelsea, Arsenal or Spurs.

Portsmouth was our nearest team 35miles away. When he was 11 he won a perfect attendance prize first year at Secondary School. Prizegiving day comes along and who has the headteacher got to present the prizes (unknown to the pupils) Harry Redknapp and he brought the whole first team squad with him - this was a couple of years before things went daft at Pompey. After the prize giving all the prizewinners got to choose a player to have a 5min 1-1 with. My lad chose Francesco Totti (well why wouldn't you?) - brilliant. The first team squad then split into two and played a 45min knock-about showing off all their tricks and skills - watched by the whole school. My lad and a lot of his mates all of a sudden became Pompey Supporters. Great PR by Pompey.

Philip Scott refereeing my Soccer 7s was enough to sway me towards supporting saints after originally supporting Ally McCoist's team... But I must stress, I remember only supporting them because they had an the most attractive strip in 1995, thats why it is paramount the kit is an attractive one. No sponsors name washing off.

Only one more and its probably gone un noticed---but there is someone who meets the criteria (i think) -

Lives in Perth

Local

Young (ish)

Good communicator (loud anyway)

Proven record !!

STEP FORWARD.........

GHOSTIE !!

I said that on Sunday. Must be near the top of the list now. But after what Geoff said how is Ghostie with kids?

I know this is off-thread but you've provoked deep-seated resentments in me. The way Perth Academy treated Atholl Henderson was a disgrace to Education. I remember on one ocassion he was selected to play for Scotland and the 'rugby-playing' school would not allow him to leave at dinner time to be in good time for an evening game. He had to leave at 3.30 in a car. It was mean spirited and the person who was most to blame was a tedious snob of a gym teacher called Ned Hunter who some academy former pupils still revere in bouts of fake nostaligia. But in truth he was a ghastly prick of a man who hated football a sport he should have been teaching. Rant over.

I remember Ned Hunter used to come into the showers at the end of P.E. for a quick "inspection" :?

Wonder what would happen to him if he did that in todays schools? :rolleyes:

The manager has to relate to the public. But his priority is to the team and games. It should not be about getting out and about and trying to get more people to come to matches! That's what the board and directors should be doing! Sounds and seems to me that they don't want to try and get more punters in. As said befor it is all decent things they try but stop at advertising it well and getting people out and about promoting saints. If they don't want to do this dirty work or deem it beneath them then get someone in to do it. Not the manager he has enough on his plate already. Come on the saints board get out and about. If not I am sure there would be loads of fans willing to be on the board and doing this. Rant over.

The manager has to relate to the public. But his priority is to the team and games. It should not be about getting out and about and trying to get more people to come to matches! That's what the board and directors should be doing! Sounds and seems to me that they don't want to try and get more punters in. As said befor it is all decent things they try but stop at advertising it well and getting people out and about promoting saints. If they don't want to do this dirty work or deem it beneath them then get someone in to do it. Not the manager he has enough on his plate already. Come on the saints board get out and about. If not I am sure there would be loads of fans willing to be on the board and doing this. Rant over.

news1nov11.jpg

Promotions team at the ready...