What was your favourite pub in Perth that is no longer with us ?

SingaporeSaint

• 4 months later...

Good to see the Plough Inn mentioned in despatches. I did my drinking apprenticeship there with Drew Falconer and a shed load of others then. Good place in those days.

The PA published a list of shut pubs a while ago: (2011)

The bodycount of Perth pubs includes the Star Bar, Railway Tavern, St Leonards, The Clachan, Atholl Arms, The White Horse, The Kings Arms, Feus Hoose, The Gowrie Bar, Hal o’ the Wynd, The Friarton Inn, Plough Inn, Riverside Inn and, more recently, the Bridgend, which is understood to be reopening soon.

Despite offering patrons cheaper bar prices, various clubs have also bitten the dust – the Perth Memorial Club, Royal Army Service Corps Club, the Polish Club, Black Watch Club, the Celtic Supporters’ Club, St Johnstone Supporters Club on Dunkeld Road, Kinnoull Club and the Railway Club.

Suspect there's been more casualties since then.

Is the Perthshire Rugby Club Social Club still open. Use to be in the building next to Bell Sports Center. Use to be some good "discos" in the early eighties. Though do remember one very tragic incident from  thirty years back.

The Rugby Club and Bells Sports Centre are basically one building now as they have built in the space between them and the new entrance to both is there. There is no cafe in Bells, but is now in the Rugby Club bit. There is still a bar through the back, but in all the times I have been in the cafe (it's a regular haunt with the kids when in Perth) I don't think I have ever been aware of anybody in it

Good to see the Plough Inn mentioned in despatches. I did my drinking apprenticeship there with Drew Falconer and a shed load of others then. Good place in those days.

The PA published a list of shut pubs a while ago: (2011)

The bodycount of Perth pubs includes the Star Bar, Railway Tavern, St Leonards, The Clachan, Atholl Arms, The White Horse, The Kings Arms, Feus Hoose, The Gowrie Bar, Hal o’ the Wynd, The Friarton Inn, Plough Inn, Riverside Inn and, more recently, the Bridgend, which is understood to be reopening soon.

Despite offering patrons cheaper bar prices, various clubs have also bitten the dust – the Perth Memorial Club, Royal Army Service Corps Club, the Polish Club, Black Watch Club, the Celtic Supporters’ Club, St Johnstone Supporters Club on Dunkeld Road, Kinnoull Club and the Railway Club.

Suspect there's been more casualties since then.

Plough Inn was my local.

If you know Drew Falconer, you'll likely know my old boy - Stewart Fairlie.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Brennans was a bit of a dump, and always dead in recent years, so not surprised it eventually closed. The Venue is owned by the folks who have The Green Room, which has been doing pretty well. I think they had initially intended to open a place at the entrance to the shopping centre where Café Noir used to be. Anyway the new bar has a micro brewery and a gin bar. I've only seen pictures of the new place, but it certainly looks an improvement on Brennans.