Lomas Tenure Up?

St Mikey

This stuff about over-achieving... even if there's a degree of truth in it (which is always going to be debatable), a good manager SHOULD over-achieve. It's his job to get the players playing above themselves. That's the only way a club of Saints' resources and fanbase will ever succeed, and Lomas should know that. If he can't accept that, and fast, it's never going to work for him here.

His excuses about over-achieving and squad size, even if based in truth, should be kept out of his post-match interviews. The club has backed him in funding signings like Vine and Beattie, and now it's his turn to do the job with those players. We don't need yet more signings. The squad is more than good enough. What we need is for him to stop moaning, start being positive about the fantastic job he's somehow managed to find himself in, and get on with doing it.

One thing has struck me and it's quite worrying. I think Steve Lomas thinks he is better than Saints. His playing career at Man City and West Ham may have led him to believe he has worked at a higher level and St Johnstone, it's fans and the Board can learn from him.

I too have been thinking this over the last few weeks or so. I also get the impression that as Owen Coyle and McInness got deserved recognition for their work with saints and subsequently got snapped up "bigger" sides down south, Lomas has in his mind that it is a given he will do the same, almost to the point that Saints and their unwillingness to feed him a bottomless pot of gold for players are becoming an obstacle between him, and bigger things. Maby i'm seeing a little to much into it, but just a gut feeling.

His constant flirting with Rangers as well has been a little odd. Again, its almost as if he was touting himself for a role with Newco. Stark contrast to when he was chasing them off Sandaza in January.

Hmmmm :neutral:

Yup! Just you.

First time I've seen it mentioned on the forum tbh

Mines were clanging when Rangers hammered us at the end of last season. Lomas just seemed to want to be a spectator during that game.

On the note of Ando. I agree. We have overachieved compared to the relatively low budget we have but it's surely the players getting better which helped.

Almost with Lomas saying we overachieved constantly, I'll be the devil and say, did he put out under strength teams after the split to make his job easier. 5 heavy defeats after the split??!!

Let's see what happens against hibs but I'm not confident.

The "overachieving" statements I find a bit negative. You set goals and when they are achieved you set new goals. If you don't achieve your new goals it's a bit of a kop out to say at least we overachieved on our old goals. When we were in the first division our goal was to get promoted and when we done so we set a new goal of coming 11th in the league so if we end up at least 11th in the league are we constantly "overachieving"? Some may say yes but I don't see how the club will progress with that attitude.

Don't get me wrong I think the club have done remarkably well over the last few years but should always be looking to set new targets whether they be performance, league position, financial or player development.

As for SL I agree that his time is running out and I am concerned that his relationship with the board isn't as strong as it was with previous managers.

Wee change in tune from the manager regards the injuries to Muzz and Midgie;

Jamie Adams came off the bench on Saturday and we had David Robertson and Kevin Moon not stripped so the absence of Chris and Murray provides opportunities to these players to come in and make an impression

Taken from the official site. Mr Brown had a word perhaps

We probably overachieved considering the budget we have got. - Anderson today in the online Courier

and as I said when Larky mentioned the Anderson interview....this demonstrates the negativity that Lomas is instilling in the players. Perhaps the most worrying aspect of the whole situation

Wee change in tune from the manager regards the injuries to Muzz and Midgie;

Jamie Adams came off the bench on Saturday and we had David Robertson and Kevin Moon not stripped so the absence of Chris and Murray provides opportunities to these players to come in and make an impression

Taken from the official site. Mr Brown had a word perhaps

or SL read this thread ;)

I am lead to believe there are other on going issues which might hasten his departure. I won't post what I have been told these issues are on the forum, but should they be true ( The person who told me is not someone who is connected to the club) then he needs to go..

:laugh:

First we had United with their sex crime allegations and shagger chairman, and now we have this (I won't post what I've heard either through respect for Beatson, Radford et al). The question here is, chaps: are Dundee the only clean and pure club left in Tayside?

Braw view fae up here on the moral high ground. :cool:

First we had United with their sex crime allegations and shagger chairman, and now we have this (I won't post what I've heard either through respect for Beatson, Radford et al). The question here is, chaps: are Dundee the only clean and pure club left in Tayside?

Never thought you'd show me a modicum of respect Bazola. Happy days.

Saturday's performance was a shambles really and we were lucky not to come away with a much heavier defeat. This wasn't a "bad day at the office". Players out of position in an unfamiliar formation - is pre-season not the place to try things out so you know what you're doing come the start of the season? With the failings in the set-up completely obvious right from the first 5 minutes we were always going to be up against it. Despite the first half subs presenting an opportunity to change things up we stuck with one up-front and our flanks sorely exposed.

If this was a one-off it would be fair enough but our form towards the end of last season was terrible. I think SL has been given far more funds than many of his SPL counter parts. We're obviously paying Hasselbaink, Tade and Beattie more than St Midden/Caley/Jambos could afford (or more than they're worth?).

This constant negativity about us being a "wee club", overachieving, bad luck, one of those things, etc. is getting very tiring and doesn't instil any confidence for the coming season.

As stated earlier in this thread, Ando's comments about us over-achieving clearly show that this attitude is getting to the player too.

I don't like to be calling for heads after the first 3 games but things better make a sharp turnaround if we're going to survive this season. Feels a bit like the start of 2001/02 season under Sandy Clark and I shouldn't need to remind you how that ended up...

What about Ivano and Dario's famous sexual relationship? :wink:

Never thought you'd show me a modicum of respect Bazola. Happy days.

Of course, man. We've never met but after our online interaction I'm working under the assumption you're a good lad.

I just threatened to ruin you on P&B by the way.

What about Ivano and Dario's famous sexual relationship? :wink:

Steady, Steve. Bear in mind the Bonnetti bros' legal representative is a among the biggest lunatics in western Europe. You do not want GDS on your case, my friend. I'd advise you to delete your post and buckle up for the crisis that is about to hit your club.

This is like hearing about the wee guy at school who never, ever got in trouble or caused any bother being turfed in the jail. I'm disappointed in you, St Johnstone. Somehow that's worse than being outraged, eh? I'm disappointed.

For shame, St Johnstone. For shame.

Spot on supersaintee, I said the same the other day about the all feeling a bit Clark like.

It isn't often that you get so many fans of the same view, I.e he isn't up to it.

Had a look at his interview on the saints you tube site, he actually came over ok, but looked really shifty, kept looking all over the place. Is he normally like that or is it pressure?

While I think it isn't going well, I hope he turns it around, but suspect it won't happen.

I don't like to be calling for heads after the first 3 games but things better make a sharp turnaround if we're going to survive this season. Feels a bit like the start of 2001/02 season under Sandy Clark and I shouldn't need to remind you how that ended up...

I mentioned this on Sunday as well... the lack of organization and the constant complaining/blaming others is very Clark-esque. It ended up with a team in a mess and took years to fix. Even if results go against us in the next few games, if the organisation and attitude is there I will happily stick by Lomas a little longer.

If the attitude is not right though, he should walk before he is pushed.

In my business career, there are two things I have been guilty of in the past and hopefully never will be again,

1. Never presume or assume ANYTHING.

2. If you have that nawing, constant feeling that something is wrong, don't leave it too late to fix it or it will hurt you.

Edited by SingaporeSaint

Ive been and many others on here, and rightly so have been very critical of lomas. There is now various rumours flying around about these issues within the club and quite frankly this is not what our club should be like. For a small family club we need everyone to see eye to eye within the club from players to manager and the board. These "personal issues" are spilling over and badly effecting lomas's ability to manage the team and the team itself to perform. If this was just on football matters despite our 12 game winless run it would be unfair to dismiss lomas untill after the first round on fixtures when our strikers are all fit.

However there are much more underlying issues atm within the club and club and Lomas, if u read these threads which apparently you do, maybe the best thing to do would be to resign so we can all move on.

to be fair the "overachieving" comments Steve makes are something a lot of managers do and have done to take pressure off their own team. I remember McLeish would say it about the Scotland team when he was in charge, and you have Mancini down south having won the league last season saying Man Utd are favourites ahead of City. so I think it's more a psychological angle he's putting on it.

he's said his aim for the season is another top 6 finish, so he clearly does believe the squad does have the quality to perform well again otherwise he'd just be talking about staying up.

if it was 12 games without a win from the start of this season then it would be a different story but this is a new season and we are only 3 games in. now Tade, Beattie and Vine come into play and have to be rated as amongst the best strikers in the league so I think these guys will come in and lift the team a good bit. Hasselbaink has always looked dangerous in the games so far so it will be great to watch how he links up with this new strike force as well as getting a few goals himself. every manager can have a bad game or a run of bad games - look at how well Hibs and Aberdeen are playing this season from what they were like last season.

In my business career, there are two things I have been guilty of in the past and hopefully never will be again,

1. Never presume or assume ANYTHING.

2. If you have that nawing, constant feeling that something is wrong, don't leave it too late to fix it or it will hurt you.

To assume makes an ass of you and me !

I thought we were destroyed by Aberdeen .. we had 11 guys who never even looked up for it which makes me :sad: and :evil: too - Liam Craig on the right , any half decent fullback needs to do is show him the line and his left peg is no good and also one up front!! You need to work with two its no rocket science!! Please go Lomas!!