Steven Fletcher

HOODLUM65

I was under the impression that Fletcher had, at some point, come out in the press and said he wanted to play?

There are a few people under that impression, but I've yet to see evidence of such an article. I remember an article in the Daily Retard which had a headline which suggested Fletcher wanted back in, but when you actually read the article it says nothing of the sort. None of the quotes attributed to him made any suggestion that he was thinking of making himself available.

I know it serves me right for picking up such a rag of a paper, but thankfully someone at work had brought it in so I didn't waste any money on it.

I could be making this up but I think he gave an interview to SKY before a game last year saying he watched possibly the Spain game in th epub with friends but woulld rather he was playing. Anyway it is 100% Fletcher's fault. The fact that he is a good player is irrelevant. If in some Football Manager world where Alex Ferguson was manager and Ian Black did the same, how many people would come out moaning about Ferguson? No player is bigger than the team.

Fully support Levein on this one. Fletcher has proven by his actions that playing for his country isn't important to him, otherwise he would swallow his pride and move on.

Levein is a talented manager (no matter what some say) and he now has a range of attacking options. It will be tough with Belguim and Serbia but possible.

BTW Levein has said the door is shut on Fletcher, he has rescinded his offer of it being up to fletcher, he says it is now too late. Was on the record website2 or 3 months ago, I've linked it here before

I've no problem with that. He is unsurprisingly getting fed up of being asked the same questions. Shutting the door will hopefully stop the press asking. Maybe they'll even turn their attention to asking Fletcher the questions. Then again...

• 2 weeks later...

Until Fletcher comes out and says he wants to be considered for Scotland selection everyone should get off CLs back on this subject.

I agree, there are enough other things to be on Avril's back for, crap selection, poor organisation, negativity and lack of fight etc without bothering him about Fletcher.

Fletcher is the best striker Scotland have. Period. He plays and scores regularly in the EPL. He should be the first name on the team sheet. He has now said he wants to play - that should be the end of it. Get him in there and let his goals do the talking. What have we got to lose? Playing with Miller upfront is not going to get us qualification, so the worst that can happen is that fletcher comes in, plays pish, and gets dropped and everyone says 'we told you so'.

While I can never understand why anyone wouldn't want to play for their country, he has now said clearly that he wants to play, so get him in. He didn't directly tell cl he didn't want to play and has done the same to say he does, cl can't have his cake and eat it.

Yes he has been childish, but cl has been too stubborn. In my view some of his selections have devalued the cap, black springs to mind and he just seems petulant. Fletcher is on form and looking sharp, miller looks done.

Edited by TheYellowBox

While I can never understand why anyone wouldn't want to play for their country, he has now said clearly that he wants to play, so get him in. He didn't directly tell cl he didn't want to play and has done the same to say he does, cl can't have his cake and eat it.

Yes he has been childish, but cl has been too stubborn. In my view some of his selections have devalued the cap, black springs to mind and he just seems petulant. Fletcher is on form and looking sharp, miller looks done.

Has Fletcher apologised yet? Until then he can get tae, as far as I'm concerned.

Was reported in todays newspapers as saying he is available for selection and would like to be selected .

So that's a "no" to my question. He answered a question posed to him on twitter saying he would play if asked, but as far as I'm aware has yet to indicate to Levein, his coaching staff or the SFA that this is the case, despite knowing damn fine that's all he would have had to do a couple of months ago.