Stevie May

rik2304

How early on did Donnelly, birchill, crainey (Gerry) etc get called up?.

I saw a similar point made previously. Taking Burchill as an example, he made his full international debut at the age of 19 in October 1999. His first season at Celtic was the 1998/99 season where he scored eight goals in 23 appearances, many of which were from the substitute's bench.

By the time he got his first Scotland cap in the 1999/2000 season - at home to Bosnia - he had featured in only FIVE Celtic matches by that stage in the season (in October), starting only ONE SPL match, scoring only twice. One of those was a 90th minute strike that wrapped up a 5-0 win over Aberdeen.

So yeah, you'd have to suggest if May was playing for Celtic at the age of 21, was the league's top scorer and had the most assists of any player he'd be in the Scotland squad, on the evidence of past choices.

One thing is for certain, Gordon Strachan will not be told who to pick for the national team and the more people go on about May the less chance he has of getting a call up.

Stevie has proved in the past that when Lomas let him go out on loan twice that he has the determination to do better with what may to some be perceived as a knock back. If anything this small disappointment could spur him on to score more goals this season and get to a situation where the national manager cannot ignore him any longer, which will of course be to the benefit of St Johnstone.

With MacLean out of the team just now the last thing we would need is an injury to May in a friendly in Norway. I know Boyd did nothing in the recent game at McDiarmid Park but hes been vital to the few points that Kilmarnock have picked up this season. if he gets injured on Tuesday Hearts could find themselves catching Killie in a few weeks as the rest of the team look very poor.

While many are going on about May, what about the thumb or Goodwillie, where do they fit into the Scotland bosses plans or don't they at all?

Sorry I don't get all this Lomas did nt rate him so farmed him out pish. Wright is looking to get Kane out on loan. Does that mean he does nt rate him. It's all to do with development.

I don't think Lomas 'farmed him out' because he thought he was pish, but I do believe that Lomas didn't think May was half as good as he has proved to be. Maybe TW didn't either, but he was prepared to give him a chance to prove himself.

Regardless, the loan spells did him good.

Tbh MS I did nt say because he was pish

Sorry I don't get all this Lomas did nt rate him so farmed him out pish. Wright is looking to get Kane out on loan. Does that mean he does nt rate him. It's all to do with development.

One thing is for certain, Gordon Strachan will not be told who to pick for the national team and the more people go on about May the less chance he has of getting a call up.

Stevie has proved in the past that when Lomas let him go out on loan twice that he has the determination to do better with what may to some be perceived as a knock back. If anything this small disappointment could spur him on to score more goals this season and get to a situation where the national manager cannot ignore him any longer, which will of course be to the benefit of St Johnstone.

With MacLean out of the team just now the last thing we would need is an injury to May in a friendly in Norway. I know Boyd did nothing in the recent game at McDiarmid Park but hes been vital to the few points that Kilmarnock have picked up this season. if he gets injured on Tuesday Hearts could find themselves catching Killie in a few weeks as the rest of the team look very poor.

While many are going on about May, what about the thumb or Goodwillie, where do they fit into the Scotland bosses plans or don't they at all?

Agreed 100%

Edited by THE LARK SAINT

Rumours Rotherham are bidding for Stevie, in excess of £160,000

Obviously it would have ot be considerably in excesss

That would just be rejected out of hand. Peterborough tried the big boyz tactics and it failed, so Rotherham would be better just coming in with a good offer if they do want him, rather than with insulting ones to try and get him on the cheap.

Well the in excess of £160,000 bit came from the fact it would break their club record, it is probably a lot more and I would imagine they are sensible enough to be bidding at least what Peterborough were bidding, seeing as since then May has signed a new contract and has proven to be more valuable on the pitch, as there was still a degree of hypothetical about it before.

I would wager they can afford it, and also he might even be more willing to go there than he was to Peterborough, as he is probably more likely to be a starter there.

I just hope he holds out for somewhere bigger

BBC now carrying the story too

Well the in excess of £160,000 bit came from the fact it would break their club record, it is probably a lot more and I would imagine they are sensible enough to be bidding at least what Peterborough were bidding, seeing as since then May has signed a new contract and has proven to be more valuable on the pitch, as there was still a degree of hypothetical about it before.

I would wager they can afford it, and also he might even be more willing to go there than he was to Peterborough, as he is probably more likely to be a starter there.

I just hope he holds out for somewhere bigger

BBC now carrying the story too

One of the reasons May said he would not consider certain moves was that he would not want to go somewhere and be sitting on the bench, so, yes, that could make Rotherham more appealing.

I think if he stays with us, continues to be up there in the leading goalscorer tables, continues to grab the headlines and perhaps gets a full Scotland call up (although, when is the next full international??) he will be looking at offers from bigger teams who will be buying him to be in their starting team

I think Rotherham have kind of been 'Bournemouth'd in that they've received some investment and have a bit of money to throw about. I'm not sure the difference between them and Peterborough, but I'd imagine they might also be restricted by the Financial Fair Play Regs.