Stevie May

rik2304

:LAUGH OUT LOUD: I think you're getting a bit carried away here to be honest. The "see things others can't" bit is pure speculation on your part and genuinely sounds like a heap of shite

It really doesn't. Cliche time but he has the definition of a football brain. His movement and positional sense are sublime. He will play in the Premiership within the next three years IMO. And this isn't pandb so you don't have to come out with VT phrases like "pure speculation."

It really doesn't. Cliche time but he has the definition of a football brain. His movement and positional sense are sublime. He will play in the Premiership within the next three years IMO. And this isn't pandb so you don't have to come out with VT phrases like "pure speculation."

He's showing great amount of potential, and I suspect I'll be going against the grain here, but he's not shown any more quality than Goodwillie or Russell did. And neither of them are playing in the Premiership. 

I understand we don't get many home grown talents coming through, who can do this at the age of 21...

may1.gif?format=500w

But its important not to pile too much onto him so soon. Talk of him playing in the Premiership within three years is stupid, pure and simply. IF he continues to progress at the rate he is then he might, but people need to stop believing he's the best striker to be brought through in this country lately. Both Russell and Goodwillie have been better, and Ryan Gauld is currently a bigger talent

Not sure why you're laughing, random lad. I'd suggest that "Sees things others can't" is a perfectly legitimate description for a 21-year-old striker who has scored 55 goals in 71 league games.

You disagree?

I'm saying the line about him knowing whether a goalkeeper is standing inches from the place they "should" be is laughable and sounds like a made up pile of shite.

And I'm not arguing about his goalscoring record, but thats not to say he can "see things others can't" it merely means hes good at getting into goalscoring positions. His acceleration plays as much a part in this as any "sixth sense".

I get the feeling we're going down the usual WAP route of "if you're disagreeing that hes utterly brilliant then you're saying he's utterly shite". I'm saying he's neither spectacularly fantastic nor spectacularly bad. He has potential though, and is definitely the best young player I've ever seen at the club

But its important not to pile too much onto him so soon. Talk of him playing in the Premiership within three years is stupid, pure and simply. IF he continues to progress at the rate he is then he might, but people need to stop believing he's the best striker to be brought through in this country lately. Both Russell and Goodwillie have been better, and Ryan Gauld is currently a bigger talent

Gauld has played against us three times max so I don't know where you have managed to get such an opinion from. In any case he has been linked with lots of clubs as well so I don't see what your point with him is. Goodwillie has a stinking attitude and has regressed from when he left, something which there is no danger will happen to May who is incredibly grounded and Russell is doing well for Derby having got a big move in the summer.

I know you might think it's trendy to talk down saints players and makes you look like you are much more grounded and sensible than other posters, but May is that good and is the most exciting prospect I have seen at Saints and his impact on the SPL in his breakthrough season is spectacular and not just in saints terms.

Gauld has played against us three times max so I don't know where you have managed to get such an opinion from. In any case he has been linked with lots of clubs as well so I don't see what your point with him is. Goodwillie has a stinking attitude and has regressed from when he left, something which there is no danger will happen to May who is incredibly grounded and Russell is doing well for Derby having got a big move in the summer.

I know you might think it's trendy to talk down saints players and makes you look like you are much more grounded and sensible than other posters, but May is that good and is the most exciting prospect I have seen at Saints and his impact on the SPL in his breakthrough season is spectacular and not just in saints terms.

Because I watch matches outwith Saints games, and Gauld is tremendous in every match, despite only being 17. 

And Goodwillie was better, yet never moved to the Premiership, so was Russell who never moved to the Premiership. They way you talk its as if his next move will be to the Premiership. Which simply won't happen unless Wigan get promoted again and take a gamble. Theres also nothing to suggest he won't go down there and falter, its pure speculation that he'll go down there and do well. Join the wrong club and your career is stunted.

And I'm not trying to be "trendy" or more sensible. I'm simply being more sensible. He's only been playing in this league 3 months (excluding his pre-loan stint), I think Keigan Parker also had a similar impact in his first few months in the SPL, its far too early to be getting so excited we're tipping him to take the English Premiership by storm

I'm not trying to talk him down in any way, I'm trying to calm the hype around him before it gets to him, fan boys like you come along and instantly see the potential and believe he'll one day play for Manchester United and Scotland and earn millions and be a superstar. When in fact a successful career would be at a lower league EPL side and be around the Scotland squad like Steven Fletcher. It takes time either way, and its no help at all building him up to be something he might never be. Fletchers career was helped massively by all the expectation being shoved onto the shoulders of Riordan, O'Connor and Brown. I know which player I'd rather May turned out like

What I'm saying has nowt to do with the "usual WAP route". I hardly ever post here.

However, you're saying you think it's "laughable" to suggest that Stevie May - a player who has scored 55 goals in 71 league appearences - can accurately judge and take advantage of a goalkeeper's position.

Further, you're saying that his record is actually down to the fact that he is just good at "getting into goalscoring positions".

How do you think he knows where those "goalscoring positions" are? And how do you account for the goals he has scored - and there are many - that have come from positions that couldn't in a million years be called "goalscoring positions" if he hadn't been aware enough and talented enough to score from them?

I've no interest in talking the boy up beyond his level. What's the point? But I've even less interest in talking him down.

Because I watch matches outwith Saints games, and Gauld is tremendous in every match, despite only being 17.

And Goodwillie was better, yet never moved to the Premiership, so was Russell who never moved to the Premiership. They way you talk its as if his next move will be to the Premiership. Which simply won't happen unless Wigan get promoted again and take a gamble. Theres also nothing to suggest he won't go down there and falter, its pure speculation that he'll go down there and do well. Join the wrong club and your career is stunted.

And I'm not trying to be "trendy" or more sensible. I'm simply being more sensible. He's only been playing in this league 3 months (excluding his pre-loan stint), I think Keigan Parker also had a similar impact in his first few months in the SPL, its far too early to be getting so excited we're tipping him to take the English Premiership by storm

I'm not trying to talk him down in any way, I'm trying to calm the hype around him before it gets to him, fan boys like you come along and instantly see the potential and believe he'll one day play for Manchester United and Scotland and earn millions and be a superstar. When in fact a successful career would be at a lower league EPL side and be around the Scotland squad like Steven Fletcher. It takes time either way, and its no help at all building him up to be something he might never be. Fletchers career was helped massively by all the expectation being shoved onto the shoulders of Riordan, O'Connor and Brown. I know which player I'd rather May turned out like

Goodwillie did move to the premiership. And calling me a fanboy who thinks he will play for Man United... Dearie me. You prove time and time again you don't know what you are talking about so it's nice that it doesn't put you off talking down to people. Good for you.

Gauld is tremendous in every match.

Wrong.

Goodwillie... never moved to the Premiership.

Wrong.

I think Keigan Parker also had a similar impact in his first few months in the SPL

Wrong.

I'm trying to calm the hype around him before it gets to him, fan boys like you come along and instantly see the potential and believe he'll one day play for Manchester United and Scotland and earn millions and be a superstar. When in fact a successful career would be at a lower league EPL side and be around the Scotland squad like Steven Fletcher. It takes time either way, and its no help at all building him up to be something he might never be. Fletchers career was helped massively by all the expectation being shoved onto the shoulders of Riordan, O'Connor and Brown. I know which player I'd rather May turned out like

You're mental.

To the Rotherham fans slating Scottish football I would like to see you beating Rosenberg over two legs. 

As far as I can see only one Rotherham fan has been on WAP and I don't think he was slating Scottish football. Is the slating going on in their forums?  If so then that is pretty normal stuff and goes on in own own when comparisons are made.

Rotherham managed by ex-saintee Steve "done for fraud" Evans.... they are only just in their first season in League 1, and not really doing anything.  The difference between League 1 and 2 is not evident, but the championship is.....so May would really need to be joining the biggest clubs in League one or an upcoming Championship side for me to think of it as a good move.

it susprises me how small these teams that enquire about our managers/players are.

Rotherham managed by ex-saintee Steve "done for fraud" Evans.... they are only just in their first season in League 1, and not really doing anything.  The difference between League 1 and 2 is not evident, but the championship is.....so May would really need to be joining the biggest clubs in League one or an upcoming Championship side for me to think of it as a good move.

it susprises me how small these teams that enquire about our managers/players are.

Wow, well..

It makes me laugh that you're trying to label us 'small' when our average attendance is nearly 3 times yours! and in the top 10 in a league (lets be honest) that is considerably better than the SPL. You can compare the players that haven't played well for you, but are playing (or have played) well in league 1. The argument can be recycled over and over, example being Calvin Zola. Had 1/2 decent seasons for an over achieving Burton Albion in league 2, now main striker for Aberdeen. It's all swings and roundabouts.

Obviously nobody knows if this linking us with Stevie May is speculation or actually has something about it, there's no need to try and disrespect our club, just cause you believe he's "championship/lower prem" quality!

Yes, you did beat Rosenborg (great achievement) but you also lost to a team no ones ever heard of, in a competiton no one cares about.

Moral of the story, don't think you're a bigger club than anyone in league 1, cause you're not :laugh::wink:

Wow, well..

It makes me laugh that you're trying to label us 'small' when our average attendance is nearly 3 times yours! and in the top 10 in a league (lets be honest) that is considerably better than the SPL. You can compare the players that haven't played well for you, but are playing (or have played) well in league 1. The argument can be recycled over and over, example being Calvin Zola. Had 1/2 decent seasons for an over achieving Burton Albion in league 2, now main striker for Aberdeen. It's all swings and roundabouts.

Obviously nobody knows if this linking us with Stevie May is speculation or actually has something about it, there's no need to try and disrespect our club, just cause you believe he's "championship/lower prem" quality!

Yes, you did beat Rosenborg (great achievement) but you also lost to a team no ones ever heard of, in a competiton no one cares about.

Moral of the story, don't think you're a bigger club than anyone in league 1, cause you're not :laugh::wink:

Its not that we think we are bigger, we know we are not, its just that we think (know) we are better. Hope that clears that up for you.

As far as I can see only one Rotherham fan has been on WAP and I don't think he was slating Scottish football. Is the slating going on in their forums?  If so then that is pretty normal stuff and goes on in own own when comparisons are made.

I think he does mean on their (rotherhams) fans forum. But you get some eedjits on whatever forum yer on.

Incredible that someone is using Calvin Zola getting a game for Aberdeen as "proof" League one is better. Zola is shite and has been for Aberdeen all season.

The difference between Scottish supporters and English fans is that Scottish fans watch a fair amount of English football, while English fans tend to watch very little (usually zero) Scottish football. That means we can usually comment on the quality as a comparison. I can confidently say that most of the SPL is better than most of League One. The main difference is money and hype.

That's why guys like Arnason-who was far from a top player up here-can go down south an demand five grand a week, which is clearly preposterous.

epic fail of a post.

More randomguy horseshit being posted like it's gospel.

So how often do you actually go and watch Dundee Utd.

May's return far outstrips the like of Russell, Goodwillie or any other young Scottish forward.

The last youngster I remember scoring like May in his first year at this level was a young Anthony Stokes but obviously he isn't Scottish.

Incredible that someone is using Calvin Zola getting a game for Aberdeen as "proof" League one is better. Zola is shite and has been for Aberdeen all season.

The difference between Scottish supporters and English fans is that Scottish fans watch a fair amount of English football, while English fans tend to watch very little (usually zero) Scottish football. That means we can usually comment on the quality as a comparison. I can confidently say that most of the SPL is better than most of League One. The main difference is money and hype.

That's why guys like Arnason-who was far from a top player up here-can go down south an demand five grand a week, which is clearly preposterous.

Exactly.

I've watched Aberdeen five times this season. Zola is horrendous. I suspect the only reason McInnes persists in playing him is because he signed him in the summer, so to ditch him this soon after is tantamount to an admission of failure. He's absolutely howling.

As to the other point, if diddy English teams want to start flinging silly money at decidedly average players from the Scottish Premiership, Kari Arnason being a case in point, then more fool them. The problem arises when they start to believe they can offer peanuts for genuinely talented boys and we should simply be grateful for it. It's absolute ignorance.

David Goodwillie went to Blackburn for more than 2 million. His goal record was nowhere near as good as May's and in terms of all-round play there's simply no comparison. Okay, that was a freak bid, fair enough, but Dundee United played it beautifully and laughed all the way to the bank.

Even Johnny Russell, who someone else has mentioned, and who is a far superior player to Goodwillie, went for 700k with a year to go on his deal - and that figure was artificially low because his agent went public on things that weakened United's bargaining position.

May is - despite the ramblings of some - miles better than Goodwillie ever was and his strike rate suggests he's far more effective than Russell.

He'll be going nowhere in January unless someone from a better league than League One - where journeymen SPFL players go to pick up a pay check - offers silly money.

What I'm saying has nowt to do with the "usual WAP route". I hardly ever post here.

Wow.

Lomas = god (spent half his time in the stand, half in the pub (nowhere near Perth))

May = average (scored 55 goals in 71 games and terrifies quality defences for fun)

Unreal.

^ This type of post is what I was on about as the "usual WAP route". Since I'm saying I think Goodwillie and Russell had shown more ability before they moved I'm calling May average. And since I'm saying Lomas doesn't deserve the criticism he gets on here I think hes god. Its ridiculous how defensive Saints fans get about someone disagreeing with them

epic fail of a post.

More randomguy horseshit being posted like it's gospel.

So how often do you actually go and watch Dundee Utd.

May's return far outstrips the like of Russell, Goodwillie or any other young Scottish forward.

The last youngster I remember scoring like May in his first year at this level was a young Anthony Stokes but obviously he isn't Scottish.

Right, I take it you've decided just to disagree with me simply because its me, good to know. For what its worth Goodwillie scored 17 league goals at the age of 21. Either way theres no way May "far outstrips" them two or any other Scottish youngster. Theres a debate to be had over whos the best and he'd be included as a candidate, but hes not miles ahead of them like you're suggesting. I don't believe you'll see the irony in saying I post horeshit and claim its gospel when you yourself have just done the same....

For what its worth Keigan Parker scored 10 league goals before the New Year in his "breakthrough" season. May is currently on 8. He'll no doubt break Parkers tally but its worth remembering surely

Edited by RandomGuy

you can compare Goodwillie, May and Russell as all 3 have had very similar careers to this point, bearing in mind May is younger than the other 2. All 3 went on loan to lower league clubs before really making the breakthrough at their parent clubs. May has the best goalscoring record in the lower leagues by miles, and he was a league up from Russell at Forfar and I think Goodwillie too. The perception that those two players are 'better' comes from the fact they played consistently well at SPL level over a longer period of time, but that doesn't make them better, just older. May has been streets ahead of Goodwillie in this season's SPL. He just doesn't look the same player at all.