League Reconstruction

Dylan-Saints

The problem with a league large enough to only get 2 games against each other, is that there tends to be a month or so of meaningless games at the end of the season for those in the middle of the league.

The big bonus of such a league is that once the great unwashed crawl back into the top league, there will only be 2 sectarian fests per season (plus cups with the hot and cold balls).

The reasons  I think a 16 team league is the best option is because

1)..... I think playing each other 4 and possibly 7 times depending on cup draws in a season is too much

2)..... it also gives a bigger variety of away days

3)......this also obviously means a bigger variety of visitors

4)......it also means less visits from the bigot brothers

All of the above aside the present system is actually beginning to grow on me.

Plenty matches from whose perspective? Clubs are struggling for money as it is without significantly reducing the number of games they play. There's just no way they would ever go for it. Is there any major league in Europe where teams play only 30 matches?

Gibraltar. And the apes play 28 of them. Rangers donated the strips.

Clubs are only struggling for money when they don't cut there cloth to suit.i would argue that we play the same clubs too often in the same season .then you get bored of playing the same opposition for the fourth or more time and don't bother attending.scotland is a tiny region of the UK with a small population.more variety is the stimulus you need along with reduced admission prices.

I accept the argument that people don't like playing the same teams so often, but there's no way slashing the number of games so that clubs only get 15 home matches per season is a viable solution. I don't want the number of Saints games to be drastically reduced, and I certainly don't want to see Saints having to operate on even less income than they currently are (even though I would have faith in the club to "cut its cloth"). But it would be smaller clubs like Saints who would struggle more from the cut in income. I can't see Saints being able to sustain their current levels of success in such a set-up.

So here is my solution

3 leagues of 18 teams - 3 Go up and down Automatically, Then there is a playoff between 4th/5th bottom of the top league against the 4th/5th of the next league with a 1 game playoff final

This would give you 34 home games

SPFL + Top 6 of Champ (All Full Time)

Bottom 6 Champ + Div One + Top 2 From Div Two (realistically 5/6 full time teams who float between the leagues)

Other 8 From Div 2 + 5 From Highland League = 5 From South of Scotland (if you think we only let ICT/Ross County into the league in the last 20 years and they are now mainstays in the top league) then its down to the pyramid system of Highland League and SOS

Then you make the League Cup a regional league for the first round so (Saints, Utd, Arbroath, Montrose) as an example - this would bring in an extra 2 home games and the bigger teams could almost use it as part of their pre season.

Edited by saint_markperth

I'm actually pretty happy with it as it is, the playoffs were a great addition

10 team top league with 1 up 1 down was a disaster. I think the present set up is as good as we get.

Hope they don't feck it up as the 2 proposals discussed don't seem to be an improvement.

After 3 years of evidence that Scottish football has been better without the h UN's Graham Spier's & Gordon Smith on Scotland tonight that we need reconstruction & Sevco/Rangers in top flight.

Chick the Pr!ck was arguing the same point on Sportsound tonight as well. It's like 2012 all over again.

Can you imagine spending a day in the little Glasgow media bubble that these deluded tw@ts live in? Believing and contributing to the bile that they spout every day. It must be so depressing.

Edited by Kevin James Is On Stilts

Chick the Pr!ck was arguing the same point on Sportsound tonight as well. It's like 2012 all over again.

Can you iImagine spending a day in the little Glasgow media bubble that these deluded tw@ts live in? Believing and contributing to the bile that they spout every day. It must be so depressing.

The aforementioned Kunts have nothing positive to contribute.i despise them basically as they have full rights to spout there pish on the media with little alternative viewpoints.stuck in a rut and can't move on, just like the Sevco fans.

The aforementioned Kunts have nothing positive to contribute.i despise them basically as they have full rights to spout there pish on the media with little alternative viewpoints.stuck in a rut and can't move on, just like the Sevco fans.

They are Sevco fans.

They genuinely believe they're right as well. What a sad life.

It seriously gets me wound up that these are the people given a national platform to comment on the game in this country, when they don't have a single clue what the average fan thinks.

They genuinely believe they're right as well. What a sad life.

It seriously gets me wound up that these are the people given a national platform to comment on the game in this country, when they don't have a single clue what the average fan thinks.

These guys have got a bit of a problem now, as for the last three years they've been able to imply that The Mighty Rangers are only in the lower leagues due to every other club's short-sightedness. But now Sevco have had a fair-and-square, two-legged opportunity to get into the top flight and they've completely blown it. They didn't just lose. They got pumped. 6-1. By a team that has struggled all season. As of now, the reason they're in the lower leagues is that they're not good enough, plain and simple. So how can they possibly argue now that the top flight "needs" them? How can they argue that any premier league needs a team who are way below the required standard for promotion? And let's not forget there's no guarantee they'll come up next season either, as they still have to compete with a Hibs team who finished above them this season, plus St Mirren who could do OK.

What Scottish football actually "needs" is for people from all over the country to stop jumping on buses to follow-follow that lot, and go and support their local teams. If we had a stronger everyone instead of a stronger Rangers, we'd have a far better league - and that's what is slowly happening, and continues to happen the longer Sevco remain in the lower leagues. Sadly I don't think they'll stay down there long enough for the job to be completed, and eventually the sad status quo will return - but that's all the more reason to revel in the good times while we can. Despite the threat of "armageddon", clubs like Aberdeen, ICT and Saints aren't just surviving - we're actually thriving. That's what these guys just cannot see, and never will.

As mentioned above, it has to remembered that Rangers finished THIRD in the league......why the pundits and others feel they should be in the top league is beyond me.

Somethign really needs to be done about those who are 'the voice' of our game. Chick the prick and his fellow pundits were miles wide of the mark during the period where Rangers future was yet to be decided - bleating on about how the game would die without them in the top league...WRONG

Now, they are at it again, but this time they are not dealing with trying to forecast a never seen before situation....the facts that Scottish football has been just fine and dandy without the tribute act are clear for all to see, and yet they are still spouting the same pish.

We have seen recently that the BBC have freshened up their 'pundits' on English football, both on the radio and on MoD, and it has been a definite improvement. It's time for the same thing to happen up here....Chick, Willie, Murdo et all.....get yersel tae feck

The argument is not for an inferior team to be in the top league, the argument the pundits make is that Rangers are the biggest club in Scotland (or one of the two), and therefore the money they generate, tv audience, tv money and players they can attract benefits the SFA, the top clubs and the SPFL for them to be in our top league. And lots of other things, facilities to bring on youth players, their infrastructure, potentially lots more money for the top clubs in way of tv, crowds and so forth, it all adds up and there is no doubt about the economic benefits.

And the economic benefits are what all chairman and those in charge at the SFA are interested in.

The argument is not for an inferior team to be in the top league, the argument the pundits make is that Rangers are the biggest club in Scotland (or one of the two), and therefore the money they generate, tv audience, tv money and players they can attract benefits the SFA, the top clubs and the SPFL for them to be in our top league. And lots of other things, facilities to bring on youth players, their infrastructure, potentially lots more money for the top clubs in way of tv, crowds and so forth, it all adds up and there is no doubt about the economic benefits.

And the economic benefits are what all chairman and those in charge at the SFA are interested in.

going by that argument,theres only two teams that matter.so whats the point for the rest.be as well let sevco and celtic play each other every week and we could all take up golf.

By that logic the rest of us should just pack it in.

It's meant to be a competion between teams not bank balances.

They finished 3rd in the second tier, they are bankrupt both financially and morally.

Out of all the money they have spent just exactly how much of it was actually theirs?

The the are exactly where they deserve to be (some would say the got off lightly) based on their ability as a football team.

Every penny the the put in their pocket was begged borrowed or stolen.

Let them come up by merit like everyone else not because a shower of sycophantic (insert derogatory term)

think they BELONG.

As mentioned above, it has to remembered that Rangers finished THIRD in the league......why the pundits and others feel they should be in the top league is beyond me.

Somethign really needs to be done about those who are 'the voice' of our game. Chick the prick and his fellow pundits were miles wide of the mark during the period where Rangers future was yet to be decided - bleating on about how the game would die without them in the top league...WRONG

Now, they are at it again, but this time they are not dealing with trying to forecast a never seen before situation....the facts that Scottish football has been just fine and dandy without the tribute act are clear for all to see, and yet they are still spouting the same pish.

We have seen recently that the BBC have freshened up their 'pundits' on English football, both on the radio and on MoD, and it has been a definite improvement. It's time for the same thing to happen up here....Chick, Willie, Murdo et all.....get yersel tae feck

Pretty certain Chick the Prick retires from the BBC after the internationals. Doesn't stop him coming back as free lance though!

By that logic the rest of us should just pack it in.

It's meant to be a competion between teams not bank balances.

They finished 3rd in the second tier, they are bankrupt both financially and morally.

Out of all the money they have spent just exactly how much of it was actually theirs?

The the are exactly where they deserve to be (some would say the got off lightly) based on their ability as a football team.

Every penny the the put in their pocket was begged borrowed or stolen.

Let them come up by merit like everyone else not because a shower of sycophantic (insert derogatory term)

think they BELONG.

I am not arguing about what they have done, I know what they have done, and I never said they should not go up on merit, of course they should.

tell me what I have said in my post that is not true, instead of telling me something we already all know or something I haven't even said