Prices

Guest Mongy Max

I was waiting until the end of July to buy my season ticket, but because the price was going to be so much cheaper to get in next Thursday if you had one, I went and bought mine earlier. I was always going to buy one and Saints were always going to get my money, but this incentive forced me to do it a bit earlier and I'm grateful that I will save myself £9 next week.

Saint need fans, but also need money. There is a genuine balance to be struck. Personally, I think 24 quid is a bit steep but if we are still in the tie, folk will pay to see us with a genuine chance of a massive upset.

I have bought my season ticket and feel aggrieved that I will have to pay 15quid to go. But I will, because its what I do. And I will take my kids, because its what we all do. We SUPPORT SAINTS. TOGETHER.

Some folk just fancy a rant and an excuse not to go.

P.S. I send this message from Norway. This is my summer holiday. Supporting the team I love, the team my wife loves, and the team my sons love. Its what we do, its who we are

Well said that man.

Clubs are awarded 90k 'prize money' from UEFA for reaching the second round. No travelling expenses are added/included. 

A 'source' reliably informed me that the club areagain subsidising to the tone of £300 per person. The club believe they are being over charged for the plane, but due to time constraints are stuck with it. 

I never asked for more detail, so can't comment/argue/quantify any more than that

Fair enough but obviously the "Prize Money" is meant to help subsidise the Club's travel costs??

Clubs are awarded 90k 'prize money' from UEFA for reaching the second round. No travelling expenses are added/included. 

A 'source' reliably informed me that the club areagain subsidising to the tone of £300 per person. The club believe they are being over charged for the plane, but due to time constraints are stuck with it. 

I never asked for more detail, so can't comment/argue/quantify any more than that

Fair enough but obviously the "Prize Money" is meant to help subsidise the Club's travel costs??

With the 'prize money' last year, the club still lost £30k (possibly £20k - can't quite remember) because of the chartered flight to Turkey.

Makes you wonder how on earth clubs from Faroes and San Marino (who continuously qualify for Europe) are able to honour their fixtures!?!?

I guess Saints take the decision to charter a flight as it is a rarity to qualify for Europe.  I doubt these little teams enjoy that luxury.

Plus, however tiny their leagues are, they don't have Neil Doncaster undermining every possible income stream and giving it all to the old firm.

Edited by montrosesaintee

Like Apple did with the iphone and ipad? When something is highly anticipated the retailers will usually always try to cash in!

I didn't say every product or every retailer.  And a special offer or promotion doesn't always mean cheaper prices.  It could mean a free gift.  It could mean money off another product/service.  It could mean a free prize draw.  All of these offers/promotions are included in the purchase of a St Johnstone season ticket for season 2013/2014.   :wink:

Im putting my tuppence worth in on this but im not going over every single point,im just going to say ;how can crusaders fly from further away for 300 quid and we can only do it for 800 and that's subsidised? I said sometime ago that saints would be charging a lot more than crusaders were and people slagged me off instantly saying I was insinuating that saints were ripping off there own supporters? Im not going to say told you so ..but.

Im putting my tuppence worth in on this but im not going over every single point,im just going to say ;how can crusaders fly from further away for 300 quid and we can only do it for 800 and that's subsidised? I said sometime ago that saints would be charging a lot more than crusaders were and people slagged me off instantly saying I was insinuating that saints were ripping off there own supporters? Im not going to say told you so ..but.

I (wrongly) assumed Crusaders knew their opposition much further in advance, but they only knew 14 days in advance - we had no confirmed opponent until 7 days prior.

If the Crusaders flight was chartered, perhaps the club had booked it far enough in advance, with no defined destination - with prices settled once the opponent was clear? 

I (wrongly) assumed Crusaders knew their opposition much further in advance, but they only knew 14 days in advance - we had no confirmed opponent until 7 days prior.

If the Crusaders flight was chartered, perhaps the club had booked it far enough in advance, with no defined destination - with prices settled once the opponent was clear? 

As far as I know they had it up on their website about 4/5 days after the draw.They didn't include hotel or tickets + as far as I could see there was only about 12/15 fans there.

As far as I know they had it up on their website about 4/5 days after the draw.They didn't include hotel or tickets + as far as I could see there was only about 12/15 fans there.

9 days before the trip then (maybe 8). It's an interesting one for sure, I mean a hotel & a ticket doesn't make the balance. I can only assume Crusaders had a charter pre-booked long before the draw then.

The 12/15 fans point is interesting - brings us full circle to the demand = supply point The Inspiration brought up. 

If they could offer the package for sub 400 all-in (flight + hotel + ticket) and they could still only get 12/15 fans there, they had to keep it as cheap as possible - we don't know how heavily subbed it was by Crusaders either.

We have/had 'x' number of packages available and I believe they sold out.  Our demand was greater than our supply so we could've charged more.

Edited by Barty1884

As far as I can see Saint's are not subsidising the flight.  SJFC have a game in Trondheim and have to get there.  They have booked a plane/hotel/bus etc. to get the team/coaches/club personnel to the game.  Travel to away games is nothing new.  The players and staff get on the flight free of charge as per normal travel arrangements to any away game (this just happens to be a wee bit further afield), with SJFC picking up the tab.  Low and behold the plane they have got has a few spare seats so they offer them to the paying public.  This helps SJFC to re-coop some of the expense, but it was never intended to re-coop all expenses and/or make a profit.  If none of the fans bought any tickets would folk then turn around and say everybody in the team (inc. other staff) are being subsidised?   No, it is merely SJFC making sure they get the team to a fixture. 

know the club took a loss on the chartered flight last year, but I'm confused......aren't the players/staff flying there anyway? I don't know how it works but I can't picture Saints taking 20+ people on a Ryanair flight? (or whoever flies to Norway), so wouldn't that loss simply be reduced by putting 'bums in seats' on the flight? 

As far as I can see Saint's are not subsidising the flight.  SJFC have a game in Trondheim and have to get there.  They have booked a plane/hotel/bus etc. to get the team/coaches/club personnel to the game.  Travel to away games is nothing new.  The players and staff get on the flight free of charge as per normal travel arrangements to any away game (this just happens to be a wee bit further afield), with SJFC picking up the tab.  Low and behold the plane they have got has a few spare seats so they offer them to the paying public.  This helps SJFC to re-coop some of the expense, but it was never intended to re-coop all expenses and/or make a profit.  If none of the fans bought any tickets would folk then turn around and say everybody in the team (inc. other staff) are being subsidised?   No, it is merely SJFC making sure they get the team to a fixture. 

Similar to the point I made, still waiting on an answer from somebody 'in the know'.

Would love to know what the standard process would be. Would we still book an SJFC flight? Or would they be on a KLM flight with Joe Public?

Similar to the point I made, still waiting on an answer from somebody 'in the know'.

Would love to know what the standard process would be. Would we still book an SJFC flight? Or would they be on a KLM flight with Joe Public?

The standard process for what?

The standard process for what?

So if we weren't offering the chartered flight to fans, would the team/officials etc be on an airline flight with Joe Public?

Or, as Saintie suggested, would we book our own flight anyway and having the fans on board with the team lessens the financial impact for the club.

That is complete nonsense.

That is complete nonsense.

Which part? The part where I openly admit I had assumed wrongly? Or the part where I was speculating? 

On speculation, Crusaders knew they had secured Europe 6 weeks prior to us qualifying? It's entirely plausible they booked a company far enough in advance to secure a lower price.  Not saying that is the case, it's mere speculation.....you know....hence the word "perhaps" in my comment.

Always nice chatting with your fergie  :roll:

Edited by Barty1884