Ciftci 1 Game Ban Outrage

Jimmy Wallace

Referees are very unhappy at the 1 match (2 game (1 immediate + 1 suspended!!)) ban given to Nadir Ciftci for "placing an open hand" on the assistant referee's throat.  The spinelessness of the SFA rears its ugly head again.  I'd ban him for life, but that's maybe a biased view. :twisted:

Thoughts?

Not often I agree with refs but I do in this instance.

Jif got a red card reduced to yellow for grabbing a Caley players face & now he only gets a 1 game ban for grabbing a linesman by the throat.

Maybe he claimed it was part of his culture to grab peoples faces.

Anyway bring on the Euro refs.

Not often I agree with refs but I do in this instance.

Jif got a red card reduced to yellow for grabbing a Caley players face & now he only gets a 1 game ban for grabbing a linesman by the throat.

Maybe he claimed it was part of his culture to grab peoples faces.

Anyway bring on the Euro refs.

Without being funny, you've not seen the incident. The refs in uproar haven't seen the incident. The majority of the media debating it haven't seen the incident. Stuart Dougall spent 20 minutes on Sportsound talking about the player's unacceptable behaviour, a7-8 game ban being the right decision, protecting the refs and even getting the police involved despite regularly admitting HE HADN'T SEEN THE INCIDENT. The they passed to two football experts in Derek Ferguson and Billy Dodds who proceed to bring this whole bullsh!t about culture without seeing the incident. Hopefully United will be allowed to release their footage now as it would shut an awful lot of people up.

I hear the incindent pretty much involves the lino running into Cifti's hand? Hence the lack of any real punishment. Seems the officials are as bad as players for diving and feigning incidents. He probably went down holding his face!

Correct. He failed to mention this vicious assault at the time and it was only brought up after the he and the ref came in for major criticism for their atrocious handling of the game. Funnily enough also was brought up before the officials knew United had footage of the incident. Although he didn't actually go down holding his face as that would have at least brought some comedy to the situation.

Correct. He failed to mention this vicious assault at the time and it was only brought up after the he and the ref came in for major criticism for their atrocious handling of the game. Funnily enough also was brought up before the officials knew United had footage of the incident. Although he didn't actually go down holding his face as that would have at least brought some comedy to the situation.

Can i ask WHY united accepted a lesser ban but none the less a ban.

Surely they were given the opportunity to show their evidential "recording" that showed the incident as it occurred and therefor prove the player did no wrong ?

Without being funny, you've not seen the incident. The refs in uproar haven't seen the incident. The majority of the media debating it haven't seen the incident. Stuart Dougall spent 20 minutes on Sportsound talking about the player's unacceptable behaviour, a7-8 game ban being the right decision, protecting the refs and even getting the police involved despite regularly admitting HE HADN'T SEEN THE INCIDENT. The they passed to two football experts in Derek Ferguson and Billy Dodds who proceed to bring this whole bullsh!t about culture without seeing the incident. Hopefully United will be allowed to release their footage now as it would shut an awful lot of people up.

It was on BBC Scotland news at 6.30 but it could be the linesman attacked him with his throat.

Can i ask WHY united accepted a lesser ban but none the less a ban.

Surely they were given the opportunity to show their evidential "recording" that showed the incident as it occurred and therefor prove the player did no wrong ?

The incident is as somebody else has already described. Ciftci is waving his hand and Harris runs into him more than anything else. He does not intentionally "strike" the assistant ref. However, it could be argued he has adopted an aggressive posture as he is shouting and gesticulating. And this is key to the debate that the SFA and Refs are having is that Ciftci doesn't strike out at Harris and therefore the whole fury at failing to protect an official is redundant in this case as the physical side of it was a minor collision in crowded heated area. But Ciftci is guilty of getting involved and shouting and gesticulating. United are disappointed at the findings and have made it clear they feel he should have been exonarated. However there would be no point of appealing and dragging the thing out as he is injured and would miss the next game anyway. The whole would have been avoided if football players didn't act like children but what does annoy me is that Foran who started the whole thing with a forearm smash off the ball on GMS, and Butcher who esculated the situation by running to abuse GMS as he lay on the ground, get away with little or no focus put on their roles. Still, if the United players had left them to it then the situation would never have occured and they would probably be in the semis.

It was on BBC Scotland news at 6.30 but it could be the linesman attacked him with his throat.

The footage on the BBC was not footage submitted as evidence. There is a clear shot of the incident and to say it was something in nothing would be very apt. However, the real questions that should be asked are: why did the match official "forget" to mention this at the time or even after the game? Why was the allegation made after BBC footage showed nothing but before people were aware that United had their own footage? And most importantly, why the assistant ref didn't just come out and clear the whole thing up? He knew himself that Ciftci never choked him and knew the context in which the whole thing happened. If he didn't make the claim then he could have easily sorted it out. If he did make the claim then again the first two questions about timing become more relevant. Clancy and Harris made a total pig's ear of the game, as highlighted by the ridiculous nature of Ciftci was sent off for. Ref's make mistakes, its part of the game. However had it not been for United having footage, which again was not known at the time of the allegation being made, it would have come down to Ciftci's word against Harris' and Ciftci would not be playing football for a very long time. All this hullabaloo distracts from what was a very liberal account of events by a match official to say the very least. Convenient that.

I havent seen the incident, BUT you dont need to to see how wrong the 1 game ban is:

either

1) he lifted a hand to the official

or

2) he didn't.

If he didn't... then no charge.

If he did... then he did.  No amount of mitigation etc should change that.

The fact is a Saints player received a larger punishment for swearing at an official than this guy has got for hitting/raising his hands etc.

I havent seen the incident, BUT you dont need to to see how wrong the 1 game ban is:

either

1) he lifted a hand to the official

or

2) he didn't.

If he didn't... then no charge.

If he did... then he did.  No amount of mitigation etc should change that.

The fact is a Saints player received a larger punishment for swearing at an official than this guy has got for hitting/raising his hands etc.

You should have stopped after the first five words. Without seeing an incident how can you possibly determine whether the punishment is apt or not? By your logic when Robbie Savage raised his hands to the ref, despite looking the other way and the ref walking into him, he should have been hammered because "no amount of mitigation etc should change that."

I've been enjoying watching the way Dundee Utd play this season, but it is tempered by ODAB's ridiculous statements and blinkered reactions to anything on this forum that has anything remotely to do with them.

Based on all the reports of the incident, his behaviour was at least a bad as Frazer Wright's, who got a 3 match ban.  The incident on the pitch was raising his hands to another players face, which is a straight red according to the rules - how that can be reduced to a yellow on appeal is absolutely staggering.  

Here's hoping they go on strike before Saturday, we've got Willie Collum!!

FWIW I have only seen stills of the linesman fracasso can't comment, however I have seen the video of the first incident and to me the first red should never have been reduced, he grabbed another player by the face!