Rip Nelson Mandela

ancientsaint

RIP Madiba. Too many people get labelled with words like icon and legend. He is a man truely deserving of such a description and then some.

I think he's one of few people who could be viewed as immortal because of the effect he had on people. He might no longer be here in person but his influence will live on for a long time I hope.

His life is a fascinating story. I spent many an hour in the eighties, safely anchored off Robben Island, Cape Town where he was being "put up" at the time. Living in South Africa at that time under a "state of emergency" seemed far safer than watching the news back home of Miners strikes in Yorkshire.

I can remember going to the "Free Nelson Mandela" marches in Loondon and the sheer surprise when he was released but my abiding memory that brings the hairs up on the back of my neck was when he walked out in Pretoria at the rugby world cup final in Francois Piennar's no 7 shirt and the crowd going wild. As Piennar said, "I just wanted to hug him but I did not feel big enough to do so"

RIP Nelson Mandela, a man of the type we will never see again, he never thought of revenge against those that imprisoned him, just the reconciliation of his people

I can remember going to the "Free Nelson Mandela" marches in Loondon and the sheer surprise when he was released but my abiding memory that brings the hairs up on the back of my neck was when he walked out in Pretoria at the rugby world cup final in Francois Piennar's no 7 shirt and the crowd going wild. As Piennar said, "I just wanted to hug him but I did not feel big enough to do so"

RIP Nelson Mandela, a man of the type we will never see again, he never thought of revenge against those that imprisoned him, just the reconciliation of his people

Are you Certain it was number 7 - Thought I saw it on TV and it was Number 6 ?

Did the whole anti-apartheid marches thing, refused to buy the grapefruits, didn't bank with Barclays etc etc. Pathetic, but all we could do, as students.

In my teens, I had debates with people who supported apartheid, on the grounds that black people were incapable of taking part in the democratic process, couldn't piss in the same toilet as us, couldn't feck our daughter, couldn't in any way be recognised as anything other than a relatively useful chimpanzee because.....they were black. Because their skin was a different colour. BECAUSE THEIR SKIN WAS A DIFFERENT COLOUR.

Mandela defeated an evil, racist regime, where people were oppressed, tortured, murdered because they were black. In order to keep secure a regime, an ideal, a way of live only surpassed by Hitler.

But then, he did something even more extraordinary. Instead of lining those fascist, racist cunts against a wall and machine-gunning them, he forgave them. He actually set up a structure to listen, and forgive.

As an aetheist, Mandela to me is the most extraordinary human being I have ever heard of. If there ever was to be a God, it should be someone like him.

A light, has, indeed gone out tonight.

RIP Tata Mandiba.

Did the whole anti-apartheid marches thing, refused to buy the grapefruits, didn't bank with Barclays etc etc. Pathetic, but all we could do, as students.In my teens, I had debates with people who supported apartheid, on the grounds that black people were incapable of taking part in the democratic process, couldn't piss in the same toilet as us, couldn't feck our daughter, couldn't in any way be recognised as anything other than a relatively useful chimpanzee because.....they were black. Because their skin was a different colour. BECAUSE THEIR SKIN WAS A DIFFERENT COLOUR.Mandela defeated an evil, racist regime, where people were oppressed, tortured, murdered because they were black. In order to keep secure a regime, an ideal, a way of live only surpassed by Hitler.But then, he did something even more extraordinary. Instead of lining those fascist, racist cunts against a wall and machine-gunning them, he forgave them. He actually set up a structure to listen, and forgive.As an aetheist, Mandela to me is the most extraordinary human being I have ever heard of. If there ever was to be a God, it should be someone like him.A light, has, indeed gone out tonight.RIP Tata Mandiba.

Did we March together?

I think it's Umkonto we Sizwe you are referring to Dunc. At his trial he pleaded guilty to a large number of terrorist offences including some related to bombing of public places. He could have been let out earlier than he was, had he taken up the offer of freedom in return for renouncing terrorism / violence.

Mandela was also unwise in his choice of friends, including Abacha, Suharto, and Gaddafi. Besides his party being bankrolled by the latter two, he refused to condemn Abacha for his egregious misuse of power, including the execution of Ken SaroWiwa and several others by hanging after a trial which many alleged was rigged.

So, before the fashionable "wasn't Mandela such a wonderful guy" lines are trotted out here ad nauseam let's remember our history and note that he had a dark side too.

Anyone who blows up innocent civilians to further their ambitions, whether political or otherwise, is a terrorist in my book.

And, once you've been a terrorist, that should prevent you from being written up later in history as being a freedom fighter, political prisoner of conscience, and statesman.

No doubt the apartheid regime was awful, but it didn't give the ANC the right to bomb and intimidate their way to power. No doubt Mandela did many good things in his later life after being released, but those don't wash away his earlier sins.

Edited by babychunder

Look I wasn't wanting to weigh into this particularly but when I see all the gushing tributes to Mandela it made me spew.

Do you remember the Church St bombing in Pretoria. It killed 19 and injured >200 when a car bomb detonated outside the SAAF headquarters. Two terrorists, in the car at the time, were killed by the bomb exploding early. Here's an eye witness account.

“A huge pall of smoke rose hundreds of feet into the air as debris and bodies were strewn around the scene of the explosion. It exploded at the height of the city’s rush-hour as hundreds of people were leaving work for the weekend. Glass and metal were catapulted into the air as shop-fronts and windows were blown out. Many passers-by had limbs amputated by the flying debris. Others bled to death".

Mandela was such a bad b****** that even Amnesty refused to take his case on, because he was so tainted by violence. Mandela admitted in his book that he approved and signed off these acts of terrorism while in prison. He may have seen the error of his ways later in life but these are terrible things that he did that must never be overlooked or forgotten.

Yes I know governments are bad bastards too but we're talking about Mandela here.

I much prefer Gandhi's approach. Achieved more, and stayed true to the principles he wanted others to adopt.

So far we have lefty people praising Mandela and Malcolm X on this thread. What next, Fidel Castro the hero-saviour of Cuba?

How can anyone describe Mandela as a terrorist? The regime in Pretoria were the terrorists and need to be removed, by any means necessary........like another Apartheid state..........

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WkoIgpU_DCU

I much prefer Gandhi's approach. Achieved more, and stayed true to the principles he wanted others to adopt.

So far we have lefty people praising Mandela and Malcolm X on this thread. What next, Fidel Castro the hero-saviour of Cuba?

I've never voted for a left=wing party in my life. Why do you feel you have to stick a label on anyone who dares disagree with you?