Is Steve Brown Qualified / Should He Go

byebyedundee

Well I think we've waited long enough regarding TW and May these contracts should of been wrapped up a long time ago..

Do you know for certainty that sb hasnt layed contracts on the table for these 2 and they or their agents are holding up things?

I've already stated that May is pissed that Brown is entertaining Rotheram...

what if may has made it clear to sb that he wants to leave? would you be more annoyed he went to rotherham now for 1.5m or the end of the season to the likes of hull for 250k?

Do you know for certainty that sb hasnt layed contracts on the table for these 2 and they or their agents are holding up things?

I know if SB was up to the job this would've been sorted by now.

He's a pessimist , and he cannot look to the future of how profitable he could be if only he thought about speculating to generating

I'm fed up of his dismal doings and making this preseason dour and negative

what if may has made it clear to sb that he wants to leave? would you be more annoyed he went to rotherham now for 1.5m or the end of the season to the likes of hull for 250k?

He hasn't made it clear don't you believe in tommy . Tommy's stated on numerous occasions that may wants to stay. FFs

He hasn't made it clear don't you believe in tommy . Tommy's stated on numerous occasions that may wants to stay. FFs

tommy may be saying this to drive the price up or maybe may has changed his mind? the truth is like you i dont know whats going on in the back ground

The above response

I know if SB was up to the job this would've been sorted by now.

He's a pessimist , and he cannot look to the future of how profitable he could be if only he thought about speculating to generating

I'm fed up of his dismal doings and making this preseason dour and negative

Iam bemused BBD as to what Steve Brown could do to get a contract signed quicker and how in your world that equates to him being unable to do the job..

He has held talks with the manager and the player, Wright said himself that he met the board before the Lazerne match and they discussed the contract with him and his agent. The club and his agent were to be talking, some things have happened in Tommys life in recent weeks which put all this shite into perspective.

He is still under contract he still has a job to do, but I think sitting down and talking about a contract extension will be the last thing on his mind, the guy buried his mother and then flew back to take charge of a team in a European game, that shows more commitment and loyalty to the Club than a bloomin contract extension.

Iam bemused BBD as to what Steve Brown could do to get a contract signed quicker and how in your world that equates to him being unable to do the job..

He has held talks with the manager and the player, Wright said himself that he met the board before the Lazerne match and they discussed the contract with him and his agent. The club and his agent were to be talking, some things have happened in Tommys life in recent weeks which put all this shite into perspective.

He is still under contract he still has a job to do, but I think sitting down and talking about a contract extension will be the last thing on his mind, the guy buried his mother and then flew back to take charge of a team in a European game, that shows more commitment and loyalty to the Club than a bloomin contract extension.

Mainstand very clever writing !!!!!

After what

I'd imagine it's after you ignoring the various good points made by Mainstand to have a dig at his grammar/spelling. Why anyone would expect any better of you is beyond me! Since you started this thread you've taken every possible opportunity to rile against the board and anyone who makes a point that doesn't fit in your Steve Brown=bad paradigm.

On a personal level, do you not think you should take a step back and reflect on the amour of bile you're spewing and look at where it comes from? Do you genuinely feel all this negativity or is there some under lying cause? Do you know Steve Brown? Was he mean to you in a previous life? Are you challenging the patriarchal/nepotistic society that we live in, by challenging one family business at a time? 

Some on here have said they agree with many of the points you have made, and there really won't be anyone on here that doesn't think the club can't be better run in some way, but your dislike for the situation seems to be so much more personal than others.

I (and many others) see this period as the club restructuring towards a different business model. A business model that has proved successful elsewhere (United for a very recent obvious example). It's been said by others but "all Scottish football clubs are selling clubs", when was the last time saints sold a player for money? Momo Sylla? Unless I've missed news and May has gone overnight?

If there has really been a down turn in the non football income as has been reported, then the club needs to make more money from football income while also reducing costs. One of the main costs that saints has is the renting of the University of Stirling facilities, the club has had a windfall and has decided to reinvest this money into the infrastructure and the youth team. In football you can create new assets with good training/coaching and youth development.

The amount of money that a "Goodwillie" or similar calibre of player would have been on would be comparable to what? Maybe 5-7 youth players? One of whom could go on to be the next Stevie May, Callum Davidson or Ally McCoist and bring serious money into the club. Players like Goodwillie(or similar) aren't necessarily going to bring in much money in future. Even if they do the club would have 1-2 major assets, where as investment in the youth facilities creates far from limited possibilities.

As the ancient Chinese proverb says: "Give a football club an experienced slightly tainted talented footballer and they'll maybe get rewards for a season or two; but give a football club a well funded youth set up and training facility and they can create their own slightly tainted talented footballers for life".

I've said elsewhere that I agree the club could market it's self much better, although for non fans saints have been seen as being quite active on social media and traditional meet and greet style events this summer, taking the cup to various fetes and Perth Show etc. The club is never going to give enough information to sate the desires of the hardcore or the football nerds (like me that would love to see an FM style spreadsheet with  breakdown of every cost, contract etc), but they could be more PR friendly, a weekly or fortnightly memo to the press or even just an update on the official site would maybe even be enough, but during pre season this would possibly be really dry anyway.

I also agree that May and TW should have been signed up on better contracts by now but there seems to have been plenty of personal issues that have got in the way over the last few weeks/months and the club deserve some slack on this issue.

Edited by gingermunkie

BBD it was very nice to meet you twice on May 16th, in the centre and again at Barossa. Great commitment to come all the way from NY to support the team you love for the cup final. And like you, said ...opening the credit card bill must have been a bit scary a few weeks later. On saying that you have been a tad controversial since the cup final. Now some of your comments were just a little bit less mainstream and you were picked on and bullied straightaway IMO by other posters. BUT, some of your comments are way off mark. I actually believe you are doing more damage to WAP than ANDY5565 did. Dude, it just doesnt sound like the guy I met in the street. Just my thoughts.....     

I'd imagine it's after you ignoring the various good points made by Mainstand to have a dig at his grammar/spelling. Why anyone would expect any better of you is beyond me! Since you started this thread you've taken every possible opportunity to rile against the board and anyone who makes a point that doesn't fit in your Steve Brown=bad paradigm.

On a personal level, do you not think you should take a step back and reflect on the amour of bile you're spewing and look at where it comes from? Do you genuinely feel all this negativity or is there some under lying cause? Do you know Steve Brown? Was he mean to you in a previous life? Are you challenging the patriarchal/nepotistic society that we live in, by challenging one family business at a time?

Some on here have said they agree with many of the points you have made, and there really won't be anyone on here that doesn't think the club can't be better run in some way, but your dislike for the situation seems to be so much more personal than others.

I (and many others) see this period as the club restructuring towards a different business model. A business model that has proved successful elsewhere (United for a very recent obvious example). It's been said by others but "all Scottish football clubs are selling clubs", when was the last time saints sold a player for money? Momo Sylla? Unless I've missed news and May has gone overnight?

If there has really been a down turn in the non football income as has been reported, then the club needs to make more money from football income while also reducing costs. One of the main costs that saints has is the renting of the University of Stirling facilities, the club has had a windfall and has decided to reinvest this money into the infrastructure and the youth team. In football you can create new assets with good training/coaching and youth development.

The amount of money that a "Goodwillie" or similar calibre of player would have been on would be comparable to what? Maybe 5-7 youth players? One of whom could go on to be the next Stevie May, Callum Davidson or Ally McCoist and bring serious money into the club. Players like Goodwillie(or similar) aren't necessarily going to bring in much money in future. Even if they do the club would have 1-2 major assets, where as investment in the youth facilities creates far from limited possibilities.

As the ancient Chinese proverb says: "Give a football club an experienced slightly tainted talented footballer and they'll maybe get rewards for a season or two; but give a football club a well funded youth set up and training facility and they can create their own slightly tainted talented footballers for life".

I've said elsewhere that I agree the club could market it's self much better, although for non fans saints have been seen as being quite active on social media and traditional meet and greet style events this summer, taking the cup to various fetes and Perth Show etc. The club is never going to give enough information to sate the desires of the hardcore or the football nerds (like me that would love to see an FM style spreadsheet with breakdown of every cost, contract etc), but they could be more PR friendly, a weekly or fortnightly memo to the press or even just an update on the official site would maybe even be enough, but during pre season this would possibly be really dry anyway.

I also agree that May and TW should have been signed up on better contracts by now but there seems to have been plenty of personal issues that have got in the way over the last few weeks/months and the club deserve some slack on this issue.

We sold a player for 40k last season

BBD it was very nice to meet you twice on May 16th, in the centre and again at Barossa. Great commitment to come all the way from NY to support the team you love for the cup final. And like you, said ...opening the credit card bill must have been a bit scary a few weeks later. On saying that you have been a tad controversial since the cup final. Now some of your comments were just a little bit less mainstream and you were picked on and bullied straightaway IMO by other posters. BUT, some of your comments are way off mark. I actually believe you are doing more damage to WAP than ANDY5565 did. Dude, it just doesnt sound like the guy I met in the street. Just my thoughts.....

Athens in still that guy and have a deep love for saints however the las t comment accusing me of slagging of mainstands grammar is so god damn wrong that I was actually commending him so that's how far off the point the above chap was

2 to say I am anywhere near as bad is a bit sad as I've never used the foul language and ignorant rants to anyone compared to what's been thrown at me and not once have I asked this to be removed

Athens I've a deep respect for you and all fans but my point is valid and I stand by my criticism of Steve and only Steve's management of our clubs PR and de motivation

I've said elsewhere that I agree the club could market it's self much better, although for non fans saints have been seen as being quite active on social media and traditional meet and greet style events this summer, taking the cup to various fetes and Perth Show etc. The club is never going to give enough information to sate the desires of the hardcore or the football nerds (like me that would love to see an FM style spreadsheet with breakdown of every cost, contract etc), but they could be more PR friendly, a weekly or fortnightly memo to the press or even just an update on the official site would maybe even be enough, but during pre season this would possibly be really dry anyway.

Firstly I was commending Mainstand so your well of the par the rest I have replied to throughout this thread feel free to read before you write a story worthy of a speech

Firstly I was commending Mainstand so your well of the par the rest I have replied to throughout this thread feel free to read before you write a story worthy of a speech

I'm genuinely sorry the sincerity of your post was lost on me. However to be fair this was probably down to the fact so many of your posts on this thread and others have been very negative and often come across as defensive/aggressive to those that don't agree with you. I do also find it hard to believe I was the only one that read your post as sarcastic, but I'm sorry that I've made that mistake.

Is it ok if I don't read the whole thread again, the once was enough for me. Do you want us all to post to confirm when we've read it so that you can authorise when we're allowed to post "stories". There's really no need to be condescending,  having said that, if we're going down that route I think you mean "essays" rather than "stories", darling. :-*

I was merely trying to join in the discourse on a subject that seems to have caused much debate around the club. A club I hold very dear to my heart and feel very positive about the changes that are being made and want to show my support for this. Im sorry if my post was too long for you, or I put too much thought into it but I don't doubt that a bit of extra thought into a few other posts round here wouldn't go a miss.

Guest ScottMann

I've said elsewhere that I agree the club could market it's self much better, although for non fans saints have been seen as being quite active on social media and traditional meet and greet style events this summer, taking the cup to various fetes and Perth Show etc. The club is never going to give enough information to sate the desires of the hardcore or the football nerds (like me that would love to see an FM style spreadsheet with  breakdown of every cost, contract etc), but they could be more PR friendly, a weekly or fortnightly memo to the press or even just an update on the official site would maybe even be enough, but during pre season this would possibly be really dry anyway.

Why stop at 5-7 youth players. Go for 11 or 12 if numbers are being taken from thin air.

Goodwillie was apparently willing to accept a lot less than he usually gets to join Saints, and I hasten to say again, apparently, so we we weren't going to be facing administration by signing him if true. The squad needs strengthening now, not in 10 years time.

It's also very easy to spout cliches and romantic ideas about a youth system but how many people have actually looked at the cold hard reality of Saints and youth? Basically, we're crap at it. We've tried it often enough and failed. One big cheque every generation won't even cover the expenditure laid out over the barren decades. For what? A handful of players that we might get a couple of seasons out of before they head down the divisions. I'd hazard a guess that Montrose, Arbroath and Forfar have done better out of Saints youth systems over the years than we have.

If you want to look at drains on our resources then start here. Why on earth should we suddenly develop a Dundee United style conveyor belt of first team players and sellable income raisers this time? It was one of Geoff's ambitions for all the years he was Chairman and it never happened. What is Steve going to do that's so different? Sell the club to them in his usual style? 'Join us and if you reach the first team you'll get a yearly contract and you'll be out of the door as soon as a Peterborough or Rotherham come calling. Forget about long term contracts and multi million pound moves to the Premiership or the Continent like United's kids. Pay you over the summer? That'll be right. We're not made of money you know. Ok, can I borrow your dad's pen so you can sign here? ' 

It's good to see Kane, Caddis and Clark looking like they'll join May in bucking the trend but how much will it have cost to produce them over the years? Who's next? I don't mean the ones we've picked up after a sweep of the English lower league 'released' lists. Who is the next genuinely home grown youth product earmarked for the first team?

The youth conveyor belt is fine in principle but we've proven over the decades it doesn't really work for us. I'd much rather our limited funds weren't further wasted in propping up a failed system.

Why stop at 5-7 youth players. Go for 11 or 12 if numbers are being taken from thin air.

Goodwillie was apparently willing to accept a lot less than he usually gets to join Saints, and I hasten to say again, apparently, so we we weren't going to be facing administration by signing him if true. The squad needs strengthening now, not in 10 years time.

It's also very easy to spout cliches and romantic ideas about a youth system but how many people have actually looked at the cold hard reality of Saints and youth? Basically, we're crap at it. We've tried it often enough and failed. One big cheque every generation won't even cover the expenditure laid out over the barren decades. For what? A handful of players that we might get a couple of seasons out of before they head down the divisions. I'd hazard a guess that Montrose, Arbroath and Forfar have done better out of Saints youth systems over the years than we have.

If you want to look at drains on our resources then start here. Why on earth should we suddenly develop a Dundee United style conveyor belt of first team players and sellable income raisers this time? It was one of Geoff's ambitions for all the years he was Chairman and it never happened. What is Steve going to do that's so different? Sell the club to them in his usual style? 'Join us and if you reach the first team you'll get a yearly contract and you'll be out of the door as soon as a Peterborough or Rotherham come calling. Forget about long term contracts and multi million pound moves to the Premiership or the Continent like United's kids. Pay you over the summer? That'll be right. We're not made of money you know. Ok, can I borrow your dad's pen so you can sign here? ' 

It's good to see Kane, Caddis and Clark looking like they'll join May in bucking the trend but how much will it have cost to produce them over the years? Who's next? I don't mean the ones we've picked up after a sweep of the English lower league 'released' lists. Who is the next genuinely home grown youth product earmarked for the first team?

The youth conveyor belt is fine in principle but we've proven over the decades it doesn't really work for us. I'd much rather our limited funds weren't further wasted in propping up a failed system.

Much less than he got at Blackburn still isn't going to be cheap, although yes that's a fair point maybe it won't be 5-7 players but it was more to illustrate a point than anything else.

On what's happening differently differently now that didn't happen under GB, I'd argue that the investment in training facilities based at the club and the reappointment of Alistair Stephenson(sp?) to the clubs youth coach ranks are both steps in the right direction. Just because a lot of previous players have ended up in the lower leagues doesn't mean that with better facilities and better coaching saints can't establish a decent profitable youth set up. 

This gives us a much better foundation to work from. Building long term is a much better use of surplus capital than a few extra players for the first team. 

Saints aren't going to get relegated this season. The league is weaker than last year and we've kept a strong squad, this is the perfect time to restructure and rebuild.

Edited by gingermunkie

I might be wrong but the youth development was neglected around the time Stevenson left. Bit harsh to judge our youth system at the mo since we've only really put some effort into it in the past season or two.

Easton would be the next I'd expect to make an impact from what I've seen of him.

Guest ScottMann

I'm judging it over a lot longer than Stevenson's first spell. If it was working so well, why was it neglected and Geoff, a firm believer in it, give up on it. Just because other clubs do it well doesn't mean it works for everyone. If having a successful youth system was so easy everyone would be doing it and there would be no need for a transfer market! The Browns are driven by finances. I'd love to see a balance sheet for our youth set up over the years. I don't think it would make good reading.

We picked up Easton from Berwick didn't we? Hardly ours. Same as Brown. Thank you Bradford.

What bothers me is the club could come across so much better if handled slightly better . Take the May situation , we have made a profit in the last year , have plenty money in the bank yet we are coming across as being skint , thus effecting what people think we would take for May .

It looks from outside looking in that Stevie Brown isn't clever or in fact a half decent businessman . I do know people who work at Saints who say all is not well (not playing staff) but they still work there and haven't left so it can't be that bad . Good/bad PR can make or lose you money , seems Saints want to lose money .

Some of BBDs points are valid but then he would just go over the score making himself look like that mad bunny boiler ex we've all had .

What bothers me is the club could come across so much better if handled slightly better . Take the May situation , we have made a profit in the last year , have plenty money in the bank yet we are coming across as being skint , thus effecting what people think we would take for May .

It looks from outside looking in that Stevie Brown isn't clever or in fact a half decent businessman . I do know people who work at Saints who say all is not well (not playing staff) but they still work there and haven't left so it can't be that bad . Good/bad PR can make or lose you money , seems Saints want to lose money .

Some of BBDs points are valid but then he would just go over the score making himself look like that mad bunny boiler ex we've all had .

Funnily enough I heard the same thing today as well. Non footballing staff not happy about how things are going in their jobs.

Not sure why though, whether its hours being cut etc i don't know.

Edited by PerthSeany