Is Steve Brown Qualified / Should He Go

byebyedundee

It would be good to see a third line on the chart showing the total salaries.

Last year we made a profit of £250k but got more than £250k form the Scottish Cup run so quite simple without that increase in revenue we would have been screwed. Although obviously the win would have brought with it increased salaries through increased bonus payments. So it would not just be a case of profit less cup revenue equals estimated loss.

BBD I thought we covered this about 3 month ago in that accounts are not all for the period April to end of March. That is a fiscal year which is totally different form a companies financial year. The Saints financial year is 31 May, and before you moan at SB for that I suspect it has been 31 May for many years.

It would be good to see a third line on the chart showing the total salaries.

Last year we made a profit of £250k but got more than £250k form the Scottish Cup run so quite simple without that increase in revenue we would have been screwed. Although obviously the win would have brought with it increased salaries through increased bonus payments. So it would not just be a case of profit less cup revenue equals estimated loss.

BBD I thought we covered this about 3 month ago in that accounts are not all for the period April to end of March. That is a fiscal year which is totally different form a companies financial year. The Saints financial year is 31 May, and before you moan at SB for that I suspect it has been 31 May for many years.

Unfortunately Saints don't publicly break down administrative expenses into wages any more - they did for decades but not since 2003. Our last published staff costs in 2002 amounted to £3m - which is more than the 2011 £2.7m wage bill reported by PWC; though unsure if the figures are directly comparable.

Saints' financial year has been end May for the past hundred years or so. You'd think armchair experts might have got used to it by now.

Edited by Brogan

Last year we made a profit of £250k but got more than £250k form the Scottish Cup run so quite simple without that increase in revenue we would have been screwed. 

Note too that profit was also boosted by £50k compensation for Steve Lomas's departure. Without that, profit would have been £187k.

I wonder (and this may be something for the q&a session) how much we are loosing out by not having a league sponsor and where does SB see this going in the seasons to come, assuming Hearts and Rangers get promoted and we get a new sponsor?

I'd hope and think he will be pressing the spfl on this and tv deals as it is a very big chunk % of lost income that saints are loosing out on.

I think you can sense his views from this interview a few years back where he calls for a salary cap and complains that it costs too much for people to go to games.

AthensSaints  what are you wanting folk to say or do?

This whole thread has been hijacked by a guy who has a gripe against Steve Brown and has done his hardest to argue his case. Others have countered his arguments and many have said that without browns we would not have a Club.

There is very little folk can say to support what SB is doing as none of us are in possession of the full facts. We don't know costs, projected income from the SPFL etc so how can anyone say that he has made the correct decisions. In exactly the same way those that are criticising him don't know the facts either.

i vote bye bye dundee for president

get yersel back in perth and lets see how good you are at running a football club .you could have patsy as a director as well .lets see how ye get on.

in fact as a practice run .why dont all you with your views on how the club is run take over the barossa turn it around,before we jump ship and go to the corinna.then when you have proved yersel takeover stjfc.

Note too that profit was also boosted by £50k compensation for Steve Lomas's departure. Without that, profit would have been £187k.

And The Brittain money from Ross County ???

AthensSaints  what are you wanting folk to say or do?

This whole thread has been hijacked by a guy who has a gripe against Steve Brown and has done his hardest to argue his case. Others have countered his arguments and many have said that without browns we would not have a Club.

There is very little folk can say to support what SB is doing as none of us are in possession of the full facts. We don't know costs, projected income from the SPFL etc so how can anyone say that he has made the correct decisions. In exactly the same way those that are criticising him don't know the facts either.

Mainstand get out of SB arse and stop with your pathetic comments ... I never hijacked this thread I started it,,,,

Also Ive never denied the importance of Geoff Brown not his son saved and helped the club just because he's the son what fff right does he have to still run it I gave him a year and he's now coming into his own.. Geoff brown gets the Compliments Like Sandy Clarke it was Sturrocks Team well dare I say it It was Geoffs club and the boy just isnt up to it...End offf

AS I have said in other posts on various threads I think SB is being given harsh treatment unfairly on WAP recently.

Lets look at this season realistically.

This season was always going to be difficult with 3 of Scotlands biggest clubs ie 25% of the division not in the SPFL Premiership.......( it does not matter what we all think of them but Hibs, Hearts, and Rangers are big business be that financial, potential or actual fan base and TV appeal).

We have now played just 15 games this season......

FC Luzern (away) 1-1 ...a fantastic result and performance in sweltering heat..... 9/10. I had the pleasure of being there on the team charter and took the trouble to speak to Steve Brown thanking for everything he and his father before him have done for my club, in other words I was not waiting for him to come and shake my hand and then feel aggrieved when he did not.

FC Luzern (home) 1-1  win on penalties a fantastic result against a really good side 9/10. Personally  definitely in my top 5 Saints supporting moments.

FC Spartak Trnava  (home) 1-2 Not a great first half but second we dominated 6/10

FC Spartak Trnava   (away)1-1 Watched this in the Polwarth Tavern good performance and very unlucky not to take it to extra time 7/10

Ross County   (away)........2-1   Good result on the road after a difficult European campaign 7/10

Celtic  (home)     0-3   We were CHEATED first of all by an incompetent referee and secondly by a diver aided and abetted by the same incompetent referee 6/10

Hamilton (away) 0-1  Beaten by a decent team we had a poor start to the game and in the end unlucky not to get something from the game. 6/10

Aberdeen (home) 1-0  won against a pretty poor Dons side 7/10

Motherwell (away)  1-0 won against a very poor Motherwell side  7/10

Dundee (home)  0-1  lost against a fairly average Dundee side another poor start but in the end unlucky not to get something 6/10

ICT  (away)  0-1  I was not at this game so cannot really comment but it would appear we were again unlucky 6/10 (that score given from BBC highlights)

Kilmarnock (away) 1-0 won this League Cup game fairly comfortably at a difficult venue on plastic 7/10

Dundee Utd  (away) 0-2 Again I was not at this game so any thoughts I have are from TV highlights very unlucky not to get anything from this game 6/10

St Mirren (home)  1-2  Another game where we were cheated by an incompetent referee 2 good goals disallowed  7/10

Kilmarnock (home) 1-2 The first game this season where I have been disappointed with the attitude of the players and general play and that was after probably the best opening 10-15 minutes of any match this season 3/10

In conclusion yes it has been disappointing this season so far but I honestly don't think we are anywhere near a relegation dogfight and if that is SBs view then why spend money we have not got. We ARE a decent cup side and that is where we should be looking for any success......... consolidation is all we need in the league.

Apart from anything else I don't think my wallet could handle anther Euro trip so soon (but believe me I will make every effort to go if we qualify)

I've been to all the home matches and the Hamilton away match. Other than the games against Aberdeen and Celtic, the opposition have wanted the win more than we have. Considering how we've built our success in recent times (endeavour with a slice of quality) that is very concerning. Dundee, Accies, St Mirren and Kilmarnock all WANTED it more than us. Four teams that we would've expected fo finish above at the start of the season, albeit Accies have had an incredible start. I can only remember two matches last season where I can say similar - the home defeats to Hibs and Ross County.

Deek what infrastructure did we spend everything on. It only seemed to be this season that infrastructure has become the buzzword.

The car park repairs/artificial pitch were mentioned before stevie May was sold so have to be coming out of last years profit.

The team budget is clearly down, despite record turnover last season, so the money has to have gone somewhere to only show a small profit.

Deek sorry I can't quote on this machine..

I thought a lot of the cash for these 2 areas was coming from the Ryder Cup legacy fund.

Whilst the players budget was down I would have expected the overall total with players bonuses for reaching Europe, reaching the league cup semi final and winning the Cup  to have blown the previous years total out the water. I think they also blew the budget last year by increasing the squad size to cover for injuries. Dunn for instance.

As I said earlier a small profit but without that success a whopping loss would have been on the cards.

Without giving any opinion about Steve Brown, I'd just like to interject and say that 'the Browns' didn't save our club. Geoff Brown saved our club. Steve had nothing to do with it. He may well be Geoff's son, but he should be judged on what he achieves and equally shouldn't be judged on his father's successes. 

The car park repairs/artificial pitch were mentioned before stevie May was sold so have to be coming out of last years profit.

It's an accounting principle that revenue and costs are recognised in the accounting period in which they occur. As the repairs will take place this year, so they will be accounted for this year.

Sorry BBBD just cause someone is able to look at your comments and see them for what they are does not mean to say, as you put it, that they are up SB's arse.

Mainstand forgive me for being rather fed up with your total 100% support for SB when its clear hes fffuukked up on a few issues this season anyway I thought this thread was dead and buried as Ive avoided this thread for sometime but well too often it has reared its head because of the amount of unhappy saintees.....NOT JUST ME

I have been as vocal as anyone about the way I feel Steve Brown has missed a massive opportunity to enhance St Johnstone, however I don't believe for one minute he set out purposely to harm the club.

I am willing to accept that mistakes do happen and can only hope he learns from his mistakes.

I think it's important that we don't become bogged down in the whole "he could have, should have, would have" scenario and concentrate on getting behind the club and more importantly the players as much as we can.