James Mcfadden Anyone?

saintee4life

Written off too quickly by some I feel.

I imagine thats aimed at me. 

I still maintain by the end of the season we'll let him go as he's not contributed enough. His ability on the ball is unquestionable, but his off the ball stuff is stinking, and he's easily taken out the game as the second half showed. If he can put in another couple of performances like that until MacLeans back then grand, if he completely proves me wrong then thats terrific, but he's got to help out more when hes not got the ball.

I don't think he was lazy when not in possession yesterday, just that he doesn't have the legs to chase like others. It means we have to have 4 midfielders working extra hard behind him. He was the difference between the two teams yesterday and nearly everything creative was thru him. It also takes a bit of pressure off guys like O'halloran who is looking far more confident, and hopefully Spoony when he comes back in.

The big thing for me is Tommy has to be astute when to play him, when to sub him if he's not performing well etc, rather than playing him whole matches hoping something might happen when he's not on it.

The kind of player you don't mind paying to see, the reason you watch football in the first place.

I still maintain by the end of the season we'll let him go as he's not contributed enough. His ability on the ball is unquestionable, but his off the ball stuff is stinking, and he's easily taken out the game as the second half showed. If he can put in another couple of performances like that until MacLeans back then grand, if he completely proves me wrong then thats terrific, but he's got to help out more when hes not got the ball.

I guess you disliked Jason Scotland, Nigel Hasslebaink and Fran Sandaza too. Was Savo your favourite ever saints player?

Sorry, but who says he's got to help out more when he's not got the ball?  Maybe the manager is very happy with his contribution, ever thought of that?  Football is not all about sweat, guys like McFadden should be treasured for their skill.  Guys like you should not be listened to I'm afraid.

Guys like you should not be listened to I'm afraid.

Why not? Is his opinion not allowed to be heard? McFadden was a joy to watch in the first half - worth the entrance money on that alone. Equally I've been disappointed with his performances in just about every game I've seen before that. If today was a sign that he's coming back to something approaching his former quality then great. But if we shouldn't be quick to write him off, then equally we shouldn't rush to proclaim him as a genius on the basis of an excellent 45 minutes.

If he continues to perform well, Tommy will have a tough choice in January, given the wage McFadden is probably on and McLean's return from injury. Can we afford two players who fulfil similar roles on the books?

It wasn't.

Yes, if you choose to hear it, of course it's allowed to be heard.  I choose not to.  

Choosing not to listen to those with differing views and advocating that others shouldn't listen either is surely an odd position to take on what, after all, is a discussion forum and what is, after all, a simple, argued opinion about the merits of a football player

If you're that minded, why don't you just have a conversation with yourself?

Edited by Brogan

I don't think he was lazy when not in possession yesterday, just that he doesn't have the legs to chase like others. It means we have to have 4 midfielders working extra hard behind him. He was the difference between the two teams yesterday and nearly everything creative was thru him. It also takes a bit of pressure off guys like O'halloran who is looking far more confident, and hopefully Spoony when he comes back in.

The big thing for me is Tommy has to be astute when to play him, when to sub him if he's not performing well etc, rather than playing him whole matches hoping something might happen when he's not on it.

The kind of player you don't mind paying to see, the reason you watch football in the first place.

I never said he was lazy, he just doesn't have the pace or stamina to help the defensive effort. It puts huge pressure on the two midfielders behind him and the striker in front of him to try and cover the gaps he's simply unable to fill. Its alright when we're on top, but when we're having to sit in it becomes a massive problem that pins us back.

I guess you disliked Jason Scotland, Nigel Hasslebaink and Fran Sandaza too. Was Savo your favourite ever saints player?

I don't dislike McFadden. And no I liked them all.

Sorry, but who says he's got to help out more when he's not got the ball?  Maybe the manager is very happy with his contribution, ever thought of that?  Football is not all about sweat, guys like McFadden should be treasured for their skill.  Guys like you should not be listened to I'm afraid.

Its obvious we need him to press more

I never said he was lazy, he just doesn't have the pace or stamina to help the defensive effort. It puts huge pressure on the two midfielders behind him and the striker in front of him to try and cover the gaps he's simply unable to fill. Its alright when we're on top, but when we're having to sit in it becomes a massive problem that pins us back.

You didn't, it was just a general point that people sometimes think he's only interested when in possession.. Pretty sure levein implied that when he dropped him from the scotland squad.

Agree, You do have to have players prepared to do extra running at times, that's sometimes just the way with creative players.

Out with the top 3 or 4, I don't think there's really anything between the rest of the teams, all capable of beating each other. It's players like Faddy who make the difference in tight games. He stops Brian graham from being so isolated and links midfield to striker really well.

Second half v dundee we were all over them but hardly created any clear cut chances. Definitely his best game yesterday, but he has contributed to quite a few key moments already this season: Away at Thistle his brilliant volleyed pass put croft thru for a 1 v 1 with keeper, his pass thru to lappin led to BG's goal v st mirren that was wrongly disallowed. His pass at the edge of our box sent O'halloran away for first goal v motherwell..

Why not? Is his opinion not allowed to be heard? McFadden was a joy to watch in the first half - worth the entrance money on that alone. Equally I've been disappointed with his performances in just about every game I've seen before that. If today was a sign that he's coming back to something approaching his former quality then great. But if we shouldn't be quick to write him off, then equally we shouldn't rush to proclaim him as a genius on the basis of an excellent 45 minutes.

If he continues to perform well, Tommy will have a tough choice in January, given the wage McFadden is probably on and McLean's return from injury. Can we afford two players who fulfil similar roles on the books?

McLean can fulfill both roles.

I think Maclean and McFadden would be too similar, taking the ball on, turning and then playing it out wide or through. The problem would arise in who would be going beyond. Say what you like about Graham, he does his best to get in behind every time, which is good. I just wish O'Hallaron would do the same, with his pace he'd be devastating going in behind, but for whatever reason he always seems to back off and prefer to take in to feet.

Point that proves it works is the goal yesterday, he ran in behind the defence and pretty much destroyed them for pace. Which he will near enough every defender in the league.