Saints V Dundee United 27/12/14

The ghost of Jim Morton

Well done Saints. Rankin may have taken the festive spirit a bit too far with his "defending" of Chris Millar to be fair. I watched the "highlights" having travelled back up from doing my best not to kill the in-laws at Centre Parcs. I thought the game was fairly poor, first half in particular.  So much so I nearly just went to look at the score and go to bed. I think that was down to the pitch which looked awful on t the telly, really bobbly. It stopped either sides creative players from playing well. United's only real moment of quality in the first half led to the goal but McKay seemed to go down in stages to block Butcher. Second half was slightly better and both teams created some chances. Armstrong or Spittal in particular should have killed the game. Agree with Cagey that United should be looking at the defending of the first goal rather than the handball. TV wasn't clear but the reaction of the players (and so many) would lead me to believe it struck McKay's hand. Now that doesn't mean it is a clear free kick but you don't dwell on it and you defend properly. Croft' cross was one of the few moments of quality in the game and O'Hallaron finishes well. Morris was clearly injured and can't live with his movement. Questions have to be asked as to why he was allowed to stay on the pitch. The winner was just ridiculous. Rankin either tackles him or continues to show him onto his left which he clearly doesn't want to use. If you defend like that you deserve to lose games.

On a side note, the whole United fans are a disgrace patter amuses me. United fans are like Rangers fans. United fans are like Celtic fans. And United fans are like Saints fans. A football crowd is a cross section of society and some people's need to prove some form of morally superiority over another team's fans is delusional. Obviously some clubs like Rangers, Celtic, Lazio, Millwall etc. attract an additional element of numpties but essentially all fans are the same. You can take quotes from here and make Saints fans look pretty awful. You can look at the action of some Saints fans and come up with all sorts of names or generalisations. I've seen well known posters on here behave like wannabe hooligans during United Saints games, where they have spent the first 20 minutes of a game hurling insults and challenging some inbred United fan to a fight (of course this was never actually going to happen) and at no point actually looking at the game they had paid to see. You get tits in every support and forums tend to bring these people into the limelight more than they should be. Just think of the numerous people on here who were demanding Steve Brown's blood a few months ago. For some reason they haven't been as vocal in the last month?

I enjoyed the game very much,including the deserved result. Your keeper did very well with several lgreat saves.Maybe you never noticed them.!? Have to agree about the pitch though. Cant believe the money we spent for that surface not too long ago.!

They come from a huge city, peoples republic and all that crap, ohhh forgot most of them come from Fife and huge cities like Forfar and Brechin, hence all the farming banter.

But great getting right up JMac, only won team was going to win on Saturday and the one that did full deserved it, Stevie MacLean must be black and blue with the battering he took from their centre halves and the ref offered him no protection

Fans see what they want to see, hear what they want to hear. You only need to look at the comment made to Smarmy. He uses a commonly used phrase that everybody knows and is accused of arrogance. Smarmy, will probably have seen his team beat Celtic about 10 to 15 times in his lifetime. They are by far and away the best club in Scotland and describing beating them as the "hard work" is in no way belittling Saints. It is a fact that beating Celtic has consistently proved more difficult. If you want to make crass generalisations then you could easily look at some of the comments on here and say that if you were to take the chips on Saints fans shoulders, you could fee the homeless for a year. It isn't true but if that's what I want to see, then that's what I will see. Personally I prefer to just ignore all the shite from all fans.

ODAB. When have Saints fans been as similarly dismissive and arrogant about another club?

Did ye no read this thread rik? :wink: Some serious bile spewing out all at aimed at United.

We beat the best team in the league last week and that result meant we had now beaten every team in the spfl this season, nothing arrogant about going into Saturdays match with expectations high.....and nothing arrogant about being pyssed of at losing.  Your all getting a wee bit carried away though, great result for Saints, poor result for United, long way to go.  From a United perspective Jackie blew it on Saturday, unforgivable to persist with Morris when he was limping. There is now a question mark over JM's ability to win those key games you simply must win to be successful.  We have lost twice on Friday nights this season when we had the chance to put pressure on those around us and we failed to show up against Aberdeen two weeks ago...........or am I being arrogant again? :roll:   Still Saturday is another big day in the calendar, if you beat Aberdeen you pull yourselves into this the closest league race for a generation. 

HSF, I know the accepted wisdom of the weegie media (you've been there too long! :wink: ) is that Celtic will win this league by 15 points, but I really think they are vulnerable.  If they lose Van Dyke, as seems likely and they lose Commons which seems even more likely, they will have a problem.  They have taken 1 point from the previous 6 and they will continue to drop points for the rest of the season.  The deference displayed to Celtic and the other lot boils my pysh....it comes from all over Scottish football, the pundits, fans ,referees and worst of all the players.....time to jettison that attitude and start believing another outcome is possible.  This is a fantastic season..........roll on Saturday.

" long way to go" " am I being arrogant again"

I still see us getting nothing out the game on Thursday, the same as I did last week and the week before that . The same as the semi last season against The dons and the final against United.

When you start expecting to get decisions and games in the bag, that's when you become disappointed and looking for blame........when maybe its a lot closer to home.

There was a blatant hand ball in front of us first half that both the linesman and referee missed that could of resulted in us scoring . Spoony was rightly annoyed but he just got on with the game. United had plenty opportunity to clear the ball before the cross by Croft found an unmarked Michael OH for the first goal whether it was handball by cup tie or not.

Doc I have never mentioned 'decisions' and rarely do....as you say the blame for Saturday lies 'closer to home'...... JMac..IMO.  Saints squeezed the game through the middle and could not believe their fortune when our CB was left limping around for 20 minutes (in an unbelievably tight match that we were winning), only then did Saints stretch the play in the final third and pick us off......staggering call by a man who should know better.......staggering!

RE Thursday, Saints have every chance of winning that game, they are on a run of 5 straight wins and are very difficult to break down.

We all know what happened when the old firm went through the doldrums in the 80s but there are a lot more teams closer to Celtic this time around. If someone other than Celtic wins the Premiership, there will be no-one more pleased than me(except that teams fans obviously)

The two utd posters on here come across as quite reasonable and balanced (most of the time :) ) but I think there's a feeling amongst saints fans that utd supporters in general treat us as a game that they should be winning. To me it seems so delusional at times.. Saints have won 5 out of 6 against utd and yet the Arabs were mostly predicting a comfortable win. Again.

Whenever we beat them it's a shocking score line against a team of hammer throwers or a pub league team ( see pie and bovril!) or a pedestrian side. It's all jackies fault because he didn't do this or he do that. Maybe it's simply because saints are a good side??!!

We are arguably Scotland's second top side over the past 3 years going on league position, qualifying for Europe and trophies won. In the last 3 years of European competition we have held teams with massive budgets compared to ours (eskis at home, rosenborg home, lucern home and away, spartak trnava away, and beaten rosenborg and Minsk away). No disrespect to a decent Dundee United side, but a couple of those teams were much better sides than them.

But most of us know it could all come to an end anytime.. Our run earlier in the season chased any doubts about that. I don't think many saints fans have any delusions of grandeur.

Maybe it's the lack of respect that starts to grate a bit.

I'll be honest, I've watched saints sides in the past that played silkier fast flowing football and were possibly more pleasing on the eye for the neutral, but in terms of a balance in the team, spirit, desire to get results, playing good football at times as well... This team is right up there.

The one thing I find surprising is how quick utd fans are to turn against McNamara.. I accept he's not perfect and makes mistakes, but he's got a talented young side, took them to 4th and a cup final last season, top 3 this season so far and still in both cups. Sold two young players he blooded and played a part in developing for over £5m.. And yet he gets pelters every time they get beat. Utd fans maybe need to think about what they were like when he took over..

Good post Paulo. And more than a grain of truth in the points you make. I think we all need to remember social media is not always conducive to balanced expression or reasoning. I think we would all be in some difficulty if we took the rantings on football forums seriously.

The way Saints United games have gone over the last few seasons is intriguing. There was a period not that long ago where David Goodwillie, Danny Swanson, GSM and Johnny Russell enjoyed themselves immensely at McD, and knowing a team 'enjoys' playing you is the worst feeling in football, that situation has now totally reversed......Saints have a lot of accomplished professionals McKay and Anderson being the obvious examples, team players who work hard at their games and return every August a better player than the previous August, and TW clearly knows how to drill a team to prevent opponents from opening them up.....and they did it again on Saturday much to the frustration on united fans, (no need to be so precious when this is pointed out ;) )

Nor is it about turning on JMac....Imagine if Saints were a goal up at Tannadice or Pittodrie and halfway through the second half with ando limping and signalling to the bench and the manager waits till your 2-1 down and makes the change in the 89 minute? Just baffling and fans are well within their rights to call him out on it without opponents being insulted, as always Saints fans will see it from their perspective, we will see it from our perspective.

Edited by Smarmy Arab

Today's message from the manager.

Dear

​As we come to the end of 2014 – a year which, I’m sure you will agree, has been a special one in the history of the club – we have the chance to reflect.

Another top six place secured, the magnificent achievement of winning the Scottish Cup which, in turn, brought more memorable European adventures.

And we finished our 2014 league campaign on a high with a great win against our local neighbours Dundee United on Saturday, a victory that was fully deserved and a performance that showed a lot of quality at times, patience and discipline, all of which enabled us to come back from a goal down and get a fully deserved win.

Special mention must this week go to Chris Millar for getting first goal for as long as I can remember and what a wonderful one it was and the celebrations in the dressing room were as much about Midgey scoring as it was the actual win!

Saturday’s game also saw the return of Steven MacLean and it showed the character of the player to go straight into a full 90 minutes after being out so long and I thought he got better as the game went on.

I have singled out these two players from Saturday for obvious reasons but I would like to thank all the players for their efforts and their support to me, Callum and Alex during the year and to thank them for a wonderful 2014.

We must continue our current run into 2015 and I can assure you we will try to emulate the achievements of the year about to end.

Finally, thank you for your support over the year and on behalf of everybody at McDiarmid Park we wish you and yours a Happy and prosperous New Year when it comes.

Thank you for your support

Tommy Wright

Manager St Johnstone FC

If this the case it gives my theory more credence.  Every united fan I've spoken with(with the exception of you 2 fine gentleman) seems to think the referee and linesman were against them on Saturday rather than pointing the finger at their manager.

That saints are a bunch of hammer throwers with a tattie field for a pitch who wouldn't know a fine passage of play even if it was slowed down for them and explained with diagrams.

I and probably every other saints fan knows any team can beat the other in this league so why any set of supporters would take it for  granted that just because they won their last game against the leagues top side the next is any easier..................................

Edited by Dr Christmas Jones

Funny bunch the Arabs. Genuinely seemed to think that they were just going turn up at McD and waltz away with three points.

They decry Anderson and Wright as hammer throwers but were crying out for a similar type to be signed.

Also, listening to the traveling fans the other night they turned on the players quite quickly and always seem to be expecting some kind of "world cup pass".

Rik - is the message from the manager just sent to season ticket holders? Or is there some kind of mailing list?

Not offering any criticism here, just wondering how to receive it.

I'm not really sure tbh. The club will have my details through season ticket forms and Super J's for the kids. I definitely wasn't asked email etc when buying cup final tickets.

Cheers. Yes it seems a bit random, know some folk that get them and others that don't despite club definitely having email addresses.I'll email Ross.....

Your email address was blocked by the club after receiving your application for the manager's position prior to Wright's appointment. Given your cv consisted of being psj's first scorer and winning the champions league with Sunderland on champ you can understand why.