Aberdeen V Saints 1/1/15

The ghost of Jim Morton

Got what we deserved on the pitch, and if Aberdeen had taken all their chances could have been an embarrassing scoreline.

My frustrations are around the extremely poor policing and stewarding yesterday.

1. On leaving our bus on arrival we were told by a local steward we needed to purchase tickets to enter the ground at the ticket office in the RD stand. We were able to cut across the away car park to exit at the stand.

2. On arrival at the ticket office we were then told it was a cash gate and return to the away gate.

3. When we tried to go back the way we came, we were told we could not go through the car park and had to take the 'long way round'. Pretty annoyed by this point!

4. Then we had the carry on mentioned by other posters around the seating pre and during the game.

5. Locked in after the game, our bus was directly opposite the exit. Most of the others were going to cars and wouldn't have crossed paths with their fans due to the fencing all around Pittodrie.

All in all a shambles, this annoyed me more than the result and ruined what could have been a good day out on NY's day.

Your description of events is the same as it always is at Pittodrie.

Only thing different is on a previous occasion stewards denied access to the staircase opposite the food kiosk, which prevented folk taking the shortest route to their seat (s).

Never found attending this dump of a stadium a pleasure, due to thestewarding inside and outside the place.

Got what we deserved on the pitch, and if Aberdeen had taken all their chances could have been an embarrassing scoreline.

My frustrations are around the extremely poor policing and stewarding yesterday.

1. On leaving our bus on arrival we were told by a local steward we needed to purchase tickets to enter the ground at the ticket office in the RD stand. We were able to cut across the away car park to exit at the stand.

2. On arrival at the ticket office we were then told it was a cash gate and return to the away gate.

3. When we tried to go back the way we came, we were told we could not go through the car park and had to take the 'long way round'. Pretty annoyed by this point!

4. Then we had the carry on mentioned by other posters around the seating pre and during the game.

5. Locked in after the game, our bus was directly opposite the exit. Most of the others were going to cars and wouldn't have crossed paths with their fans due to the fencing all around Pittodrie.

All in all a shambles, this annoyed me more than the result and ruined what could have been a good day out on NY's day.

We managed to get out as someone jumped over and opened the gate behind the stewards back.

We passed thousands of Aberdeen fans and there wasnt a cent of trouble...

It was just the police flexing their muscles! pathetic. 

They were trying to preemptive police, in their prematch meeting they must of convinced themselves there was going to be trouble. 

"all these boozed up football fans at new year". so they spent the whole day trying to prevent incidents they have imagined up were going to happen that just were not going to happen. 

Edited by PerthSeany

Just got this response from Aberdeen FC after I emailed them about the shite at the match...

Aberdeen V St Johnstone Club Statement

We have had a number of complaints from fans regarding their visit to Aberdeen Football club on January 1st, whilst we apologise for the predicament you may have found yourselves in can I  give you some background to the day which may assist.

Aberdeen Football Club had received legitimate intelligence that a reasonable number of St Johnstone risk fans and perhaps other fans not necessarily involved with your club had planned to travel to the game with the intent of causing disruption before during and after the game, This is not unusual for us to gather this information and our primary concern thereafter is to ensure the safety and wellbeing ofboth sets of fans, players and officials.

We decided the best plan was to contain the fans at the rear of the stand to ensure there wasn’t a chance of a pitch incursion’s etc. , unfortunately some seats had already  been sold further down to the front of the stadium  before we had received the intelligence, but for our containment to work we had to ensure that area was kept sterile and unfortunately fans were restricted or asked to  move, some fans accepted this but others decided against this, so our only alternative was to move them  back or in this case eject those who refused.

With regards to holding fans back at fulltime, this was taken for the safety of the St Johnstone fans, 317 away fans with only 1 bus did not equate, We did not want the innocent fans perhaps being involved in melees outside the ground with the risk supporters and our fans, you will agree we could not announce this over the PA we could only announce that we were holding back, we had a stop watch on the containment at the end and it was actually 9 minutes

I hope this clarifies any issues and again, we apologise that you were caught up in an incident that was out with our total control.

Somewhat pish poor excuse and NO WAY was it 9 minutes.  Mind you, at least the resonded..

So as I mentioned. They were policing because the thought things were going to happen... Which weren't happening!!!

As one said many of our supporters were pensioners or of an older generation so pathetic imo.

The police need to stop reading the twitters of 14 yo school boys who spout nonsense about causing trouble... Particularly the ones who haven't asked mummy and daddy for money to go to the game yet!

We really were hearded about like cattle. Nothing new at a football ground though. Some of the mince that came out the stewards mouth As well.

One boy sat in the same seat for the whole first half. The stewards after half time decided he wasn't allowed to sit there anymore and made a huge song and dance about demanding he moved.

Aberdeen to be fair shouldn't have to answer for their stewards and the police, the stewards and police be amswering for themselves. Aberdeen paid for that awful shambles.

Well I hope Aberdeen read this as I'm making a point of a pitch invasion next time. I'll be the only fan there due to this episode of harassment. God we go to celtic and don't get kept in. With Aberdeen winning, who comes up with 9 minute period that makes it safe.... fans will still mingle, like they acknowledged there was only one bus. I think they haven't got over the Scottish cup semi tbh. We didn't deserve to go to the final! Wonder if Forfar away last season and the party on the terraces helped increase the perceived risk of the north east's police. We are thugs! Shame on all those that travelled!

Edited by Dave H

Wasnt there but it sounds to me like the stewards were pissed our fans didn't do as they were told like good little people and so to teach us a lesson decided to keep the fans back 10mins.....Yep that will show us!

Makes you wonder what they will do to the Hamilton fans that travel up there later in the season, they will probably take a similar amount or less and will be as much of a threat.....pesky away supporters....god help us if they actually do beat Celtic to the title.